Anyone built a HTPC?

thomas

I'm thinking of building one. I watch a ton of anime fansubs using the .mkv container, and they are usually soft-subs with avc1 video at 720p which won't work on an xbox with xbmc because it is too underpowered. I am also thinking about spending a bit more, and making adding a blu-ray drive so I can finally have a blu-ray player. I'm curious if anyone has built one, and what type of components you used and costs did you have?

This probably won't be much help, but in our lab we build our own PCs from scratch since we need some pretty unique parts and lots of graphical power. I thought it was gonna be a huge hassle, and I had little to no knowledge about 'building' computers going in but it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. So I would guess that if you have a little knowledge going in, which it seems you do. You should be fine.

Not quite what you were looking for, but some insight at least.

I thought about buying one of the WD devices before, but the first model is seriously lacking in features. I'll check out the XBMC forums, thanks Kirby.

I'm hoping that one I posted above has wifi too, if it does, sold! But I really want something that'll still run XBMC -- I can't get enough of that program!

I thought about buying one of the WD devices before, but the first model is seriously lacking in features. I'll check out the XBMC forums, thanks Kirby.

I'm hoping that one I posted above has wifi too, if it does, sold! But I really want something that'll still run XBMC -- I can't get enough of that program!

XBMC is a beautiful piece of software. It was the only reason I still used my xbox until recently.