Ted Kennedy has died

didnt really like him anyway.

"played major roles in passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act and the 1993 Family and Medical Leave Act"

Yeah... what a jerk he was.

The guy definitely did a lot of good things but he is a symbol for every over privileged politician/celebrity. Chappaquiddick - guy drove drunk off a bridge, didn't report it to the police and left a girl to die. No punishment.

"played major roles in passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act and the 1993 Family and Medical Leave Act"

Yeah... what a jerk he was.

The guy definitely did a lot of good things but he is a symbol for every over privileged politician/celebrity. Chappaquiddick - guy drove drunk off a bridge, didn't report it to the police and left a girl to die. No punishment.

exactly. that's a pretty jerk move if you ask me.

The guy showed plenty of remorse for it.

Someone dies and you bring up the biggest mistake they ever made? Classy.

haha classy? who the fuck cares...its not like we're at his funeral and someone brings it up, i siad i didnt really like him and then a kid sarcastically responded to me pointing out all the good he's done...why cant someone point out the bad?

Remorse and retribution are two very distinct parallels. I will say I was shocked when I read this today, but you have to admit, the guy had his faults for sure. Either way, a blow to the American body politic.

Everyone has their faults. But Senator Ted Kennedy is most certainly not an example of over-privileged people in the US. He bought health care for families who didn't have it. He fought for the poor and under-privileged his entire life. He was a Senator for 47 years. He could have spent his entire life as playboy or whatever else he wanted but that's not what he chose to do. He chose a life of public service, which brought him fame and notoriety sure but he could have taken a much easier path.

I don't know and neither does anyone else, what happened for sure with the whole Chappaquiddick thing so I'm not going to comment. I trust our justice system to dole out punishment accordingly. Sometimes people do wrong and they "get away with it" and sometimes they don't do anything and get put in jail. But it still stands that no one has a clue the events of that evening so commenting on them is mere conjecture.

Everyone has their faults. But Senator Ted Kennedy is most certainly not an example of over-privileged people in the US. He bought health care for families who didn't have it. He fought for the poor and under-privileged his entire life. He was a Senator for 47 years. He could have spent his entire life as playboy or whatever else he wanted but that's not what he chose to do. He chose a life of public service, which brought him fame and notoriety sure but he could have taken a much easier path.

I don't know and neither does anyone else, what happened for sure with the whole Chappaquiddick thing so I'm not going to comment. I trust our justice system to dole out punishment accordingly. Sometimes people do wrong and they "get away with it" and sometimes they don't do anything and get put in jail. But it still stands that no one has a clue the events of that evening so commenting on them is mere conjecture.

Yep. I think everyone should be judged on the crap they did when they were young. It isn't as if he drove off a bridge in perfect weather and said "NOW IS MY CHANCE TO KILL THIS BITCH!" The weather was awful and both were tanked. He got out, and wondered home in shock. Ask anyone who has ever had to escape from a sinking car if its a traumatic experience or not. Could he have handled it better? Yep! Should he have been given the DUI his family got him out of? Yep. But the police have openly stated that it was a DUI accident and not vehicular manslaughter.

One would think that one profoundly dark spot in the guys life would not overshadow the amazing amount of good the man did. If every child of privilege acted like Ted this country would be better off. Instead most just act like Bush.

Yep. I think everyone should be judged on the crap they did when they were young. It isn't as if he drove off a bridge in perfect weather and said "NOW IS MY CHANCE TO KILL THIS BITCH!" The weather was awful and both were tanked. He got out, and wondered home in shock. Ask anyone who has ever had to escape from a sinking car if its a traumatic experience or not. Could he have handled it better? Yep! Should he have been given the DUI his family got him out of? Yep. But the police have openly stated that it was a DUI accident and not vehicular manslaughter.

One would think that one profoundly dark spot in the guys life would not overshadow the amazing amount of good the man did. If every child of privilege acted like Ted this country would be better off. Instead most just act like Bush.

Seriously? The facts are he was drunk, killed a girl in a car accident, fled the scene, and didn't report it until the next day. If everyone acted like Ted Kennedy? Go check it his bio. He was expelled from college for having someone else take his exam.

"Kennedy struggled for much of his life with his weight, with alcohol and with persistent tales of womanizing" And that's from the New York Times, the most liberal paper in the country.

He helped bridge some partisan divides on key issues, but to say the country would be better off if everyone was like him is absurd.

Seriously? The facts are he was drunk, killed a girl in a car accident, fled the scene, and didn't report it until the next day. If everyone acted like Ted Kennedy? Go check it his bio. He was expelled from college for having someone else take his exam.

"Kennedy struggled for much of his life with his weight, with alcohol and with persistent tales of womanizing" And that's from the New York Times, the most liberal paper in the country.

He helped bridge some partisan divides on key issues, but to say the country would be better off if everyone was like him is absurd.

If those were the facts people would be indited for judicial mischief big time. You can't let someone get off not guilty when those "facts" are as cut and dry as you portray. I'm going out on a limb here and saying those aren't all the facts.

Secondly, he didn't say everyone, he said every child of wealth. Kennedy, by all accounts was far from perfect sure, but so are you. And he's a damn better person than the rich spoiled brats most children of wealth seem to become.

At worst, Kennedy was a better man than George Bush who had cocaine issues and skipped out on a war. Or John McCain who by all accounts was a lose cannon as a young man to put it midly.

If those were the facts people would be indited for judicial mischief big time. You can't let someone get off not guilty when those "facts" are as cut and dry as you portray. I'm going out on a limb here and saying those aren't all the facts.

the funny this, those are the facts. the police found his car the next day and THEN he made a statement. he had plenty of time and many oppurtunites to report the accident but never did until he knew he was in trouble.

haha classy? who the fuck cares...its not like we're at his funeral and someone brings it up, i siad i didnt really like him and then a kid sarcastically responded to me pointing out all the good he's done...why cant someone point out the bad?

I just think it is funny you called me a kid.

It's okay to bring up the bad someone does, but you have to weigh both sides of it. He did a hell of a lot of good things in his life - and there is a reason he will probably go down in history as the greatest senator of our lifetime.