Anyone try selling off their CDs?

I've been staring at my CD's lately, wondering why I ever paid so much for such worthless shit. Anyways, I'm thinking of ebaying the ones I have the jewel cases/liner notes for. I know I won't get more than a buck or two for each CD, but if I am able to unload a couple hundred thats a decent chunk of change. Anyways, has anyone tried ebaying their CDs? If so, did you find it worth it or is it best to just take them down to the local record store?

Guest falloutcollapse

i just go to a record store, and get whatever i can for them (normally no more than a few dollars), but i get 20% more for spending the money at that location on records

id list ones youd think could possibly get a lot (more than 5 bucks maybe) and either take the rest to a used store or maybe even list them in one big lot on ebay...i mean if theyre similar and such...cds tend to bring a lot more money that way i recently sold a bunch of promotional samplers and stuff in a lot and got about 20 bucks..pretty slick seeing as they were all free

Selling CDs individually on eBay will probably not be worth the hassle unless you have stuff that's really popular, rare and/or out of print. Hundreds of CDs close for literally pennies on there every day (not to mention on Amazon Marketplace and half.com), and you figure what little money you make on the auction will be eaten up by packaging, driving to the post office, postage, listing fees, etc. -- plus, you're bound to have some that won't even sell.

I second just hauling a huge bin of them over to a local used CD store. I save up all the shit I get at work and oughly every two weeks, I dump them somewhere around town. I never get a ton of money, but it's usually enough to put gas in my car or buy some groceries.

Lots also work.

Guest Admin

I have been toying with the idea of selling used CDs in our store (not vinyl collective, but the store we sell our CDs in). I was thinking of selling used CDs for $3.00 and paying out $2.00 for each CD sold in either cash or credit on any of our stores. If anyone wanted to be a guinea pig on this, let me know. I am not sure how well it would work, but it might be worth trying.

I guess the way it would work is people would send their CDs (a box or boxes) and we would catalog them and put them on the site. We would cut you payment monthly as the CDs sold.

It might end up being too much work on my end for little payoff, but if anyone wants to try, let me know.

Yea I usually bring them to my local store. Sucks when they constantly won't take the same CDs, so I have them sitting in a bag in my apartment.

Do you have any used bookstores nearby that also deal in used CDs? I've found that they are far less discerning than a record store is when it comes to what they'll buy.

Guest conoley

I recently sold almost all my CDs. I got close to $1,000 in credit at the local record store. I still have 300 or so kicking around which I probably won't be able to get rid of.

Guest Admin

I guess, let me get started on the ones I have here and if it starts going well, I will let you know. I guess it would end up being a lot of work for everyone without a lot of payoff.

I sell CDs all the time, becasue I have so many coming in for review. It's just a necessity. I usually just take them to my local record store and get store credit. It's usually about 10-15 percent more than what they offer in cash. Then I just buy records.

As as side note, I used to subsidize my income by selling CDs. I made about 400-500 a month. Now I'm lucky if I can get $50 out of a trip.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scriptedrain
I just sold 10 or 11 cds on half.com for about $100 total. I don't plan on selling many of my cds, but some of my impulse-buy, radio rock cds were listened to like once during my high school days and don't deserve to sit next to my explosions in the sky or atom & his package cds.

Or MY Brand New and Death Cab for Cutie CDs!! :P

- Jeff

i dont think i'll ever sell my cds. i have a lot of stuff i couldn't get on vinyl, and honestly MP3's are awful and ugly. Having an album without artwork is like making love to woman without a head.

I'll never sell my GOOD cds. But stumbling upon my Hinder CD made me want to slit my own wrists for allowing an ex-boyfriend talk me into buying it. Being able to sell it as "like-new" for $8.50 made me happy beyond words..

I just sold 10 or 11 cds on half.com for about $100 total. I don't plan on selling many of my cds, but some of my impulse-buy, radio rock cds were listened to like once during my high school days and don't deserve to sit next to my explosions in the sky or atom & his package cds.

I don't think your Atom & His Package CDs deserve to sit next to your Explosions In The Sky CDs.

I don't think your Atom & His Package CDs deserve to sit next to your Explosions In The Sky CDs.

haha, true true

HEY HEY HEY now..... there will be no dissing on Mr Goren!

Guest scriptedrain

HEY HEY HEY now..... there will be no dissing on Mr Goren!

Exactly. Stop the hate!

- Jeff

Guest scriptedrain
How do you know I wasn't dissing Explosions In The Sky? It's not like they ever wrote a song as instantly memorable as "Punk Rock Academy."

No one disses EITS. No one.

- Jeff

I keep thinking about getting rid of all of mine and just buying vinyl from now on but every time i think about it I remember a cd that I don't want to part with. Plus a lot of the stuff I have hasn't been pressed on vinyl. Or it's been out of print for so long that I can't afford to get it on vinyl.