Critique my mix CD before I give it to a girl.

So I've been working on this mix all day for a girl who I'm sort of dating (nothing too serious yet but we both like each other). She's into good music, and I already made her one mix which was more of a general overview of awesome stuff and not exactly themed or anything. So this one, I tried to go about half-awesome stuff, half-mushy shit that will make her stoked on me. Here's my tentative running order. Thoughts?

[image]

The Alkaline Trio song is going to be the "hidden track," by the way.

Guest scriptedrain

I'm not familiar with 75% of that list, and the other 25% I'm not familiar enough with to comment on. Either way, this makes me want to make a mix tape, I haven't made one in ages.

- Jeff

Guest scriptedrain
I'm not familiar with 75% of that list, and the other 25% I'm not familiar enough with to comment on. Either way, this makes me want to make a mix tape, I haven't made one in ages.

- Jeff

Get familiar, son! All those songs are bonafide jams. I promise.

Alright, I will :-)

- Jeff

Seeing as you know your recipient better than I...my only critique would be length. I mean it looks like it clocks in at about an hour. I usually keep mixes like that at 12-15 songs and about 45 min. However you said it's a rad chick, so I think you're good.

Just my .02

-andy

PS-You can NEVER go wrong with a popes track! Try "On The Shoulder"

Seeing as you know your recipient better than I...my only critique would be length. I mean it looks like it clocks in at about an hour. I usually keep mixes like that at 12-15 songs and about 45 min. However you said it's a rad chick, so I think you're good.

Just my .02

-andy

PS-You can NEVER go wrong with a popes track! Try "On The Shoulder"

Yeah, it's a shade over an hour but she spends much of her day in rush hour traffic so it's a good length to get someone to and from work without hearing the same song more than once in a ride.

I'd put a Popes track on there but she is already a huge Popes fan (she's from Chicago), and I don't have any Popes rarities to impress her with.

For anyone wondering, here was the first mix I made her:

[image]

- Jeff

that's more what i was trying to say than anything.

i know when i make a mix tape i always try to include at least one song that's simply about how awesome music is. like "spekers push the air" from pretty girls make graves or "negative one to ten" by tsunami bomb or something. if any of the songs i don't know are like that, then i definitely approve. especially because of the weakerthans, nmb, and dismemberment plan.

Since you asked...

Personally, I prefer awesome and mushy CDs to be separate, but two thumbs up on the RFTC tune

Acoustic Snake Oil Tanker is the only Trio song you'll put on a mix for her? Hope she's already familiar with them

Word to the wise: Girls lose their shit over Greg Dulli and with good reason. Track down some Afghan Whigs and/or Twilight Singers and you'll be in business.

Guest scriptedrain
Acoustic Snake Oil Tanker is the only Trio song you'll put on a mix for her? Hope she's already familiar with them

She's from Chicago and likes good music. She HAS to be familiar with them.

- Jeff