thank fucking god the Olympics are not coming here

Well you usually need all kinds of construction to either improve your facilities or create new ones. And that's where most of the spending comes from as I understand it.

yeah but a lot of the facilities they build are temporary and in the long run the city does not benefit.

Well you usually need all kinds of construction to either improve your facilities or create new ones. And that's where most of the spending comes from as I understand it.

yeah but a lot of the facilities they build are temporary and in the long run the city does not benefit.

From what I saw in Sydney the facilities were pretty permanent but the problems I've been hearing about relate to cities going in to debt to build and not making that money back.

seriously, neither am I. But I was worried.

I love Chicago more than any other city I've ever been to, but goddman would it be a total clusterfuck if they were held here. we can't afford to keep the city running with the normal level of people in the city on a given work day...and adding a couple extra 10's of thousands of people would screw shit up like you wouldn't believe.

This, and also since they were going to put all of the stadiums on the south side a whole bunch of people were most likely going to get pushed/priced out of their neighborhoods. Lame.

Guest afsdan

Denver = the only city to say "no fucking way" to the Olympics. awesome. of course now our idiot governor has said he's looking to get the Olympics back here.

Olympic hockey is the best hockey in the world. The open ice makes everything awesome.

whats the difference?

I forget the actual dimensions, but I think an NHL rink is 120ft by 80 ft. International rules have rinks that are 120 by 100 and the extra space makes the game crazy fast. Watching NHL games right after the Olympics is frustrating because they're so cluttered.

There's also slightly different rules.. no behind-the-net trapezoid, etc.