Cover Songs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest scriptedrain

There's no way I can play favorites, so I'll just pop in here from time to time with songs I seriously consider great covers, starting with:

Death From Above 1979 - Better Off Dead (Le Peste Cover)

John Mayer - Kid A (Radiohead Cover)

- Jeff

Replicants - s/t (One-off recording project consisting of Ken Andrews (Failure, Year Of The Rabbit), Paul D'Amour (Tool, Lusk) and some other dudes. The whole record is classic rock covers. AMAZING.)

Elliott Smith - Thirteen (Big Star)

Ryan Adams - Wonderwall (Oasis)

St. Vincent - These Days (Nico/Jackson Browne)

Weezer - Velouria (Pixies)

Nada Surf - Where Is My Mind? (Pixies)

Superdrag - September Girls (Big Star)

Pearl Jam - Gimme Some Truth (John Lennon)

Foo Fighters + Brian May - Have A Cigar (Pink Floyd)

The Sundays - Wild Horses (The Rolling Stones)

Frodus - Explosions (Devo)

Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love (The Supremes)

I know I'm leaving some out, but that's all I can think of, off the top of my head.

I have a penchant for cover songs, especially covers of 80's songs. But faves are:

Zombie Apocalypse - Welcome to the Jungle

Strung Out - Bark at the Moon

Hot Water Music - Radio (I dare say I enjoy it more than the original)

Between The Buried and Me - Blackened

The Dropkick Murphys - The Green Fields of France

But I absolutely hate The Dillinger Escape Plan's Plagiarism EP. Fuck, those covers were TERRIBLE! I was expecting awesomeness and I got lazy mock ups that sound awful. Come to Daddy is pretty badass though!

A while ago (maybe 1999) The Huntingtons released a Ramones cover album entitled "File under Ramones". And as much as I love the Huntingtons along with other pogo-punk ramones rip offs like the Riverdales and the Queers, on this record they basically made it EXACTLY like the Ramones.

If you heard this thing, you'd have a hard time believing me that it wasn't the Ramones. I mean come on, all those pogo bands love the Ramones but at least they retain their slight originality when covering them. I was pissed. I guess they titled it right though, I sure as hell wouldn't file that shit under Huntingtons.

I've always loved Mxpx's cover of KKK Took My Baby Away.

I can't stand Marylin Manson but his take on KKK took my baby away on the "we're a happy family" cd was really interesting. They made it so dark, and really put sort of the right spin on it, I mean come on, if the KKK really kidnapped your girlfriend and you never saw her again, would you write a song about it that you can dance to?

Also on that same CD "Havana Affair" done by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is amazing.