This is what's wrong with people and musical taste

like everyone else here... dug this band way more before all the ridiculous hype surrounded them... BUT I still love them... AND I still love them chords

Now, this was said in regards to Gaslight but its been said over and over again by countless people about countless other bands. Its fucking lame. Has nothing to do with the music any of the bands referred to in this context play. Its just so stupid it hurts my head. Its like "hey I'm not going to deal with the mainstream but if they like anything I do I will immediately run away from it." Well guess what genius, that's you basing your whole listening experience on the mainstream's taste. Ahh, so dumb.

/pointless rant that will change nothing

like everyone else here... dug this band way more before all the ridiculous hype surrounded them... BUT I still love them... AND I still love them chords

Now, this was said in regards to Gaslight but its been said over and over again by countless people about countless other bands. Its fucking lame. Has nothing to do with the music any of the bands referred to in this context play. Its just so stupid it hurts my head. Its like "hey I'm not going to deal with the mainstream but if they like anything I do I will immediately run away from it." Well guess what genius, that's you basing your whole listening experience on the mainstream's taste. Ahh, so dumb.

/pointless rant that will change nothing

Punk has always been an outsider subculture, so when it gets popular with the mainstream, it often takes away from the experience and intimacy.

Classic example: The Dropkick Murphys. One of my favorite bands through high school and even today I still like them. Would I ever go to see them live again? Hell no. The last time I saw them play the show was full of drunken douchebag bros who heckled all the opening punk bands then started push moshing all over the place during DKM. Completely ruined the show.

Whether it's bros, young teenage girls who are only interested in how cute the band members are, dickhead security guards or clear channel venues/ticketmaster raping you for ticket prices. All these things can and have ruined punk shows when a band reaches a certain popularity level. I completely understand why people don't want bands they like to become popular with the mainstream.

Now these things don't effect how much I like a band's music, but they most certainly effect whether or not I support them on tour.

Soooo...if I am reading that quoted statement correctly, I should be upset that if a band I really, really dig all the way from the underground start making it big and getting more popular, I should hate them?

Maybe my whole English-is-my-second-language (which it is) thing is getting in the way but I am kinda confused by that statement.

Yeah...I have felt a sense of something when a band I love and have been into since day one starts making it big and joe-blow meathead gets into them b/c they're getting more exposure. I've never shuned a band or started to hate them b/c they're more succesful and now have a chance to make a living making the music the love. That's kinda silly.

I sure indeed have gotten the "What the fuck? I was into this band when they were playing shows to 10 people!!!" feelings but don't start hating on them b/c now they play a 3,000 cap venue. I still like the music and the band and am happy that more people are checking it out.

I think I'm confusing myself further...

I hate all of it, its just elitism.

Music is music, if you enjoy it, listen to it. If you want to see it live go and see it live. I can never understand why people make such a big deal out of how big the venue is or how many records a band sells.

Yes, i prefer small gigs. Yes, i have disliked albums of bands who water down or alter there sound to fit a label be it a major or not. but so what? I have seen ACDC and the Stones play stadiums, and disliked albums self released by a band that plays to 10 people every night. whats the difference? it's just different music that appeals to different people.

The UK is slightly different because we don't have "bros" or whatever, and even big shows like the Dropkicks tend to have a good crowd. But if you are choosing what bands you are going to support based on the crowd then maybe you should reconsider why you listen to your chosen music.

I dunno, maybe i'm just a poser and the whole punk thing is above me. I just think life is to short to worry about shit like this, you should just be enjoying yourself.

i just don't like it when bands i like are small to med size...then they decide they need to go to a bigger label to get their music "to more people". im sorry when you are an anti-flag or an against me you don't need your music out in the world cus it already is....is straight up for money....and if thats what it is then just say it. don't claim something and then blow right past it. with other bands mentioned above...gaslight...i think they changed the sound they had...and it wasn't "growing up" like ive seen others say.....they saw something that would make them money....and did it....for anyone to say anything different is in denial. xo

Personally don't care about Gaslight Anthem and I never did, but in my experience good bands turn mediocore at best once a lot money enters the picture...not all the time, of course, but most of the time. I think when you're feeding yourself with the money your making off of your music you tend to second guess yourself and play it safe.

i just don't like it when bands i like are small to med size...then they decide they need to go to a bigger label to get their music "to more people". im sorry when you are an anti-flag or an against me you don't need your music out in the world cus it already is....is straight up for money....and if thats what it is then just say it. don't claim something and then blow right past it. with other bands mentioned above...gaslight...i think they changed the sound they had...and it wasn't "growing up" like ive seen others say.....they saw something that would make them money....and did it....for anyone to say anything different is in denial. xo

I agree dude, especially with anti-flag, they can be so hypocritical at times, also last time i saw Against Me there live show was disappointing where as times before they were immense. I just think if you like what they are putting out after change labels/ start selling out bigger shows then enjoy it. if you don't like it then avoid it.

I just don't like it when people go off a band simply because they become more popular, it just seems pointless. I have a friend who loved refused, they got popular in our area, he stopped liking them, they didn't even put out a new album or sell out shows, they had been broken up for 3 years.

I also feel that people don't realise how much of a hard decision it is to make. Watching things like the Against Me DVD and Anvil DVD really made me think.

Put yourself in their shoes. You have toured for 5 years, partied with your friends seen shit most people dream of, played to i dunno 50-100 people a night. After tour you get back to not sure how you are going to pay your rent, you work in a bar/store/warehouse whatever. 4 months later, you go on tour again, not sure if you will have a job when you get back. Then some dude in a suit says you can carry on partying with your friends, see the world all you have to do is accept this fat cheque and release an album on our label. How many of you would say no?

I mean if a dude came up me saying i will pay you to travel the world with your friends, you can party hard and all you have to do is write 10 songs and let us sell them for you...i would tear his arm off!

I hate all of it, its just elitism.

Music is music, if you enjoy it, listen to it. If you want to see it live go and see it live. I can never understand why people make such a big deal out of how big the venue is or how many records a band sells.

Yes, i prefer small gigs. Yes, i have disliked albums of bands who water down or alter there sound to fit a label be it a major or not. but so what? I have seen ACDC and the Stones play stadiums, and disliked albums self released by a band that plays to 10 people every night. whats the difference? it's just different music that appeals to different people.

The UK is slightly different because we don't have "bros" or whatever, and even big shows like the Dropkicks tend to have a good crowd. But if you are choosing what bands you are going to support based on the crowd then maybe you should reconsider why you listen to your chosen music.

I dunno, maybe i'm just a poser and the whole punk thing is above me. I just think life is to short to worry about shit like this, you should just be enjoying yourself.

I don't have near enough time to even scratch the surface on this issue (and I agree with a lot of what people with varying viewpoints have said), but - on the subject of live music - I have had crowds ruin shows for me. In my experiences, when you get a lot of people together, things turn violent and ugly a lot more so than when you have an intimate show with a couple dozen people who are there to see the band and not there mostly to say they attended it. I've had people flat out tell me they hate an artist and then go to the show because everyone else is, and then they just drink their way into an (even more) obnoxious state of mind.

I'm not saying a crowd couldn't ruin a show, i just don't think you should choose whether or not to see a band based on what the crowd could be like. This works on small scale shows to, i have been to acoustic shows with less than 200 people with a bunch of drunk students talking over the band, but i would still go and see them again, i dunno maybe the UK just has a different vibe at shows.

I agree with what F.T.W. and dirtcultrecords are saying.

It may sound harsh, but when a band is not making much (if any) money off their music, you know that it's sincere. They are obviously doing it for the love of the music.

Once major labels and lots of money is added to the equation, you always have to question if the band is writing and performing for the right reasons or just for the paycheck. It's not a coincidence that most punk bands' major label debut is also their worst album. (Against Me, Bad Religion, Cave In, Anti-Flag, Mxpx, Rancid, Ataris, Eighteen Visions, Poison The Well, The Distillers, etc.)