This is what's wrong with people and musical taste

I agree with what F.T.W. and dirtcultrecords are saying.

It may sound harsh, but when a band is not making much (if any) money off their music, you know that it's sincere. They are obviously doing it for the love of the music.

Once major labels and lots of money is added to the equation, you always have to question if the band is writing and performing for the right reasons or just for the paycheck. It's not a coincidence that most punk bands' major label debut is also their worst album. (Against Me, Bad Religion, Cave In, Anti-Flag, Mxpx, Rancid, Ataris, Eighteen Visions, Poison The Well, The Distillers, etc.)

Mxpx - Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo

Jawbreaker - Dear You

Distillers - Choral Fang

Poison the Well - You come before you

Melvins - Houdini

the list goes on and on. Major debut doesn't equal bad music.

I agree with what F.T.W. and dirtcultrecords are saying.

It may sound harsh, but when a band is not making much (if any) money off their music, you know that it's sincere. They are obviously doing it for the love of the music.

Once major labels and lots of money is added to the equation, you always have to question if the band is writing and performing for the right reasons or just for the paycheck. It's not a coincidence that most punk bands' major label debut is also their worst album. (Against Me, Bad Religion, Cave In, Anti-Flag, Mxpx, Rancid, Ataris, Eighteen Visions, Poison The Well, The Distillers, etc.)

Mxpx - Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo

Jawbreaker - Dear You

Distillers - Choral Fang

Poison the Well - You come before you

Melvins - Houdini

the list goes on and on. Major debut doesn't equal bad music.

I want more album examples like this. This is a pretty valid arguement and I got another one to add.

Pere Ubu - Dreamland

I also feel that people don't realise how much of a hard decision it is to make. Watching things like the Against Me DVD and Anvil DVD really made me think.

Put yourself in their shoes. You have toured for 5 years, partied with your friends seen shit most people dream of, played to i dunno 50-100 people a night. After tour you get back to not sure how you are going to pay your rent, you work in a bar/store/warehouse whatever. 4 months later, you go on tour again, not sure if you will have a job when you get back. Then some dude in a suit says you can carry on partying with your friends, see the world all you have to do is accept this fat cheque and release an album on our label. How many of you would say no?

I mean if a dude came up me saying i will pay you to travel the world with your friends, you can party hard and all you have to do is write 10 songs and let us sell them for you...i would tear his arm off!

i can say first hand i would say NO. i play music for the love of it...making some money is great...hell if i could tour and be good i'd be fine but there is no need for me ( im just talking about me now) to have 100,000's like some people. thats not in my blood and is everything im against. like i said thats just me.

I wouldn't and the major label debut is only considered their best work when it's the first record heard.

I doubt that's true, but are you saying that AM! wouldn't have made New Wave if they were still on Fat? or Searching..... if they were still with No Idea? Bands move on/get older and I'm glad they've not done three remakes of RAR (No idea deals with that with the represses!!)

I don't know many bands regardless of label where the 4th LP was better than the 1st?

I do know that New Wave is a lot better than many of LP's released that fill the charts!

I don't know many bands regardless of label where the 4th LP was better than the 1st?

AFI, Propagandhi, Good Riddance, NOFX, Modest Mouse (If you count Sad Sappy Sucker as their 1st)...I'm sure I'll think of more.

RFTC - Scream, Dracula, Scream

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American

NUFAN - Leche Con Carne

I also feel that people don't realise how much of a hard decision it is to make. Watching things like the Against Me DVD and Anvil DVD really made me think.

Put yourself in their shoes. You have toured for 5 years, partied with your friends seen shit most people dream of, played to i dunno 50-100 people a night. After tour you get back to not sure how you are going to pay your rent, you work in a bar/store/warehouse whatever. 4 months later, you go on tour again, not sure if you will have a job when you get back. Then some dude in a suit says you can carry on partying with your friends, see the world all you have to do is accept this fat cheque and release an album on our label. How many of you would say no?

I mean if a dude came up me saying i will pay you to travel the world with your friends, you can party hard and all you have to do is write 10 songs and let us sell them for you...i would tear his arm off!

i can say first hand i would say NO. i play music for the love of it...making some money is great...hell if i could tour and be good i'd be fine but there is no need for me ( im just talking about me now) to have 100,000's like some people. thats not in my blood and is everything im against. like i said thats just me.

Or you could you know, give it back to people who need it.

"First hand" as in, a label rep has approached you with a deal and you said "no"?

+ I think it's time we dug up the ol' Albini article…

and i will talk about this year

if there was something to talk about

and you sell and you sell with your heart

so you can make a few bucks and lose a few friends

and this is the stuff that makes you

and it will be the same that breaks you

move on get on with your life

it's pointless to play if you don't get paid

and i will talk about this year

if there was something to talk about

and you sell and you sell with your heart

so you can make a few bucks and lose a few friends