Your Thoughts about Record Nerd

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest scriptedrain
stealing music is bad, cd's are bad. there's no other way about it.

I highly disagree on both points (mostly the 2nd).

I can't afford an iPod, my car doesn't have a tape deck, and its cigarette lighter doesn't work. Therefore, I have to listen to CDs in my car. And what easier way is there to make a mix for someone else? They're becoming obsolete more and more each year, but they are not "bad" or "worthless" for the time being. I mean we're on a vinyl message board for Christ's sake.

The first point I could wax philosophically on for hours. Basically downloading has led me to spend thousands on bands over just the last couple years (I've looked into it, trust me). If you're talking about someone who does nothing but download and never buys albums in any format or attends shows or buys merchandise or spreads bands by word of mouth, then duh. But the issue isn't as black and white as you make it sound.

- Jeff

Guest scriptedrain
hmmm... i was talking about those ppl (the majority making this issue a lot more on the dark side of the spectrum) and you missed my point, sorta, sure cd's are ok, just don't list them on a vinyl collection website.

Ahh I see. Yeah, I'm conflicted about it. On one hand, I'd love for it to be purely vinyl but on the other I'd like to see what people have for CDs in addition to their record collection. If they're posting just CDs (especially burned copies), then yeah, much like Recordnerd, I would be against the idea. It's probably the personal side pulling me into the idea of CDs being ok, too, since I own more CDs than records and would want to put all of them on there like I did with Recordnerd.

- Jeff

Which brings back to exactly what I said... delete people's lists that contain only cd's. I agree downloading music has brought me to spend thousands on music-related stuff (before I started downloading I owned 10 cd's) but it's not a good thing to let people trade CD-R's for the same reason it would suck to have lots of sendspace topics with people sharing music.

CDs are fun because they are convenient, but they are totally worthless from a collector's point of view. Sure some of them are VERY rare but still. I have 200-300 cd's and I tell myself, why the hell did I spend so much on this crap when I could've gotten it on wax and upload the mp3's on my mp3 player. I could always have burnt a copy for the car without even remotely feeling guilty because I own the record.

Bleh. The worst thing with cds is when you wanna get rid of them you won't even get 1/4 of what you paid.

Guest scriptedrain
I have 200-300 cd's and I tell myself, why the hell did I spend so much on this crap when I could've gotten it on wax and upload the mp3's on my mp3 player. I could always have burnt a copy for the car without even remotely feeling guilty because I own the record.

I'm with you there. I'm really glad labels are offering MP3 downloads with vinyl. I have a player where I could rip the album, anyway, but I still find it a great idea for the masses (and for my laziness). Over the past year, I've switched almost entirely to buying vinyl, and I've bought a lot of releases on vinyl when I owned it on CD before. So much $ gone, but that's life as a music fan / appreciator / collector..

- Jeff

My list has seemed to vanish from their server; is this happening to anyone else? Please, tell me it's temporary, as it took waaaaaaaay too long to type up initially...

Dammit, my list is gone as well. Very annoying. However, I've traded, bought and sold quite a bit while recordnerd had been down, so I still would have had to go through all of the items in my collection to make sure the list stayed up to date. Guess I'm just going to have to start over.

I'm really hoping Virgil is working on a site like this. I really like recordnerd because everything is nice and seperated and easy to read and the fact that it has specific fields for artist, album, format, label makes it easier too.

I hope that if Virgil does his site it will have the seperate fields for artist, album, format, and label like recordnerd, but also add fields for color, pressing info, etc. rather than having to cram that info in the comments field.

Guest Admin

the person who is working on this said he will have some basic stuff for me to look at in a few days. i will keep you all posted.

so i found my stuff back in my account, but when i attempt to update it certain things (looks like cd's mostly) it won't let me add.

i found that it wont let you ad things with '

in the name

you can bypass this by holding down alt and pressing 0146

it make this symbol:’ which is very similar.

-john