so is anyone into collection prints/posters also?

coldober

A mate state side (im from Aus) recently went along to his Portland Pop up shop (i think it was Portland) and picked up some wicked prints.....he also took the time of showing Baizley my recent Tattoo of the Feather and Nails from the Golgotha 7"....Baizley apparently seemed pretty stoked and thought it was wicked....mate got a picture of Him with it hahaha bit weird but it was a killer suprise.

Cant wait for them to tour again in Australia so i can get to another pop up....the one here last time was awesome 

1464747776873_zpsfxqnk3rc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I have a shit load of posters in my room, a few signed ones (Paradise Lost, Collide, Epica and Jimmy Carr), loads of Ghost in the Shell posters and many more other bands/films etc, but only one lithograph print that I still haven't found a good frame for! (it's a signed Royal Albert Hall print from Steven Wilson's shows there last year). I'd photograph the Wilson print but I can't get it to lay flat without a frame!

1 hour ago, xylem1 said:

I have a shit load of posters in my room, a few signed ones (Paradise Lost, Collide, Epica and Jimmy Carr), loads of Ghost in the Shell posters and many more other bands/films etc, but only one lithograph print that I still haven't found a good frame for! (it's a signed Royal Albert Hall print from Steven Wilson's shows there last year). I'd photograph the Wilson print but I can't get it to lay flat without a frame!

I was at that SW gig, but only for the 2nd night. Great show, would love to see the print once you have it framed. 

3 minutes ago, Le Gogh said:

I was at that SW gig, but only for the 2nd night. Great show, would love to see the print once you have it framed. 

I went to the first night where he played HCE with Ninett and Storm Corrosion with Mikael Akerfeldt, 'twas a special night! I think It'll be little while longer before it gets framed. 

On 3/20/2016 at 9:56 AM, birdwell said:

Acid burn doesn't happen immediately, it's a slow process....it's also very real...and it's 100% irreversible. I've seen photographs dissentigrate while trying to remit and frame them. I've seen hand-signed and numbered prints fall apart and customers cry about losing the irreplaceable piece. I've seen it so bad that the print became so brittle inside the frame that print crumbled and the print slipped because of it.

Using non-archival backing (ESPECIALLY CARDBOARD) is the second quickest way to ruin a print. First being using non-UV protective glass and having your print in direct sunlight.

If you're paying any kind of real money for these prints or originals for that matter (non-painted originals), and you want to enjoy the piece for more than 5-10 years you really need UV protective glass and an acid free backing....and ideally acid free matting as well.

Just so it's out there, no glass should ever go on an original painting, and there needs to be holes punched in the back dust covering as well so the painting can breathe....if there's no air flow on the front and back the painting will mold.

Any suggested reading for researching how to do this properly? And any suggestions for quality places in the New Hampshire area?

I used Michael's (chain arts/crafts store) in the past to frame my diplomas, I can't recall much of the details when I did that. You have me worrying about that now lol

9 minutes ago, valve said:

Any suggested reading for researching how to do this properly? And any suggestions for quality places in the New Hampshire area?

I used Michael's (chain arts/crafts store) in the past to frame my diplomas, I can't recall much of the details when I did that. You have me worrying about that now lol

Michaels is notorious for dry mounting stuff, even when they say they don't. Just buy acid free backing, which is (usually) clearly labeled and you should not have problems.

Edited by Thomas³

3 minutes ago, valve said:

I don't know of any particular readings....just what I've been taught by my Grandfather and Father....and I'm certainly not familiar with the New Hampshire area, but I would imagine any local shops should be decently well equipped.   Michaels may offer conservation and archive quality products, I honestly don't know

21 minutes ago, valve said:

Southern NH? I use a place in Andover MA that's does great work with some nice prices.

Edited by vinyl addict

On 18/08/2016 at 0:27 AM, clerk3745 said:

So it appears the John Dyer Baizley pop-up shops is skipping the cleveland show tomorrow night. Anybody else planning on going to any other Baroness show and might be able hook me up with some art?

Ha, literally just popping in here to ask this question. I'm in the UK though! 

Wanted a Four Horsemen print for god knows how long. If anyone in the US, Australia (pikey0032 I'm looking your way!) or NZ can help me out I'd be grateful. 

Edited by Le Gogh

David D'Andrea hooked me up when I asked if he might have any of the Sleep trio prints left over. Awesome guy. This will be going into my drop out of life audiophool extraordinaire man cave. Now looking for the other two to complete the family. I think I am going to dry mount them framed, except with out plexi to avoid front wall reflections.

UA96cM1.jpg

Why no plexi? You're exposing it to UV rays and pollutants without something blocking the front. If it was cheap and you don't care about it much, then do it and dry mount it. If you want it to last forever, do it properly. You can use photo corners, or some archival linen tape or something similar to mount it.

1 hour ago, Thomas³ said:

Why no plexi? You're exposing it to UV rays and pollutants without something blocking the front. If it was cheap and you don't care about it much, then do it and dry mount it. If you want it to last forever, do it properly. You can use photo corners, or some archival linen tape or something similar to mount it.

I have been going back and forth it. The main reason is all three (once I eventually find them) will be going behind the speakers and take up a good amount of space front wall reflections start to become an issue with glass/plexi type of surfaces. It's less of an issue in really large rooms.

Also is it possible to get UV protective plexi that is anti-glare as well? This is another consideration from an aesthetics point of view.

dry mounting sucks because it's permanently afixed to a single-sized backing board....if you ever want to put it in a larger sized frame (for instance love the print but move it into a space and think it would look better and eat up more wall space with a larger frame/matting job) you will be SOL.  Additionally, there is no going back when you drymount, it's stuck there until you toss it in a dumpster.   Dry mounting really shouldn't be done to anything of any real value (monetary or sentimental).

if you paid any decent amount of money, spend money on some real glass...plexi is a fucking pain in the ass to deal with.....it's a pain to cut, it's a pain to clean without scratching it, it shows scratches really well, and if it's on a large piece it bows and flexes and if you carry it incorrectly it will pop-out of the frame.

if you're worried about glare, get some Conservation Reflection Control glass put on it, it'll preserve it from UV damage (assuming it's not sitting in direct sunlight for years on end) and if the print is ever worth anything and you're hard up for cash you can sell it (because you didn't dry-mount it like a numbskull) or store it again.

3 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Museum glass is expensive, but it is pretty much invisible. It's anti glare and uv blocking.

All true.  Also nearly impossible to clean without scratching it....and believe me, when the glass is that invisible, the scratches show up really really well.

unless you're hanging the prints well out of the reach of anybody's hands and plan on investing in a CO2 canister for dusting the glass, I highly discourage the use of Museum Glass

1 minute ago, birdwell said:

All true.  Also nearly impossible to clean without scratching it....and believe me, when the glass is that invisible, the scratches show up really really well.

unless you're hanging the prints well out of the reach of anybody's hands and plan on investing in a CO2 canister for dusting the glass, I highly discourage the use of Museum Glass

True, it does scratch easy. I've only ever used it on small prints, since Hobby Lobby runs deals on small sizes a lot.