Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

Wouldn't recommend Middle-Man Records at all. Shawn (the owner) attempted to mail me a defective record so I shipped it back for a replacement and when it arrived he blamed the damage on me and wouldn't replace it without charing me for an entirely new copy... essentially making me pay for it twice! I cancelled the order and attempted to order from Driftwood Records but apparently Shawn and Dandy (who runs Driftwood) are friends so Shawn mailed him the defective record to include in my new order from Driftwood as some sort of "joke". I did not find it amusing at all. Either way, I'd avoid both those labels. They don't deserve support or your hard earned money.

While I agree for the most part with Driftwood, my experience with Middle-Man has been great. He's been the only guy in the USA that consistently gets Dog Knights' releases. Twice now he's ordered something for me and it's been on its way to me in less than a week. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Robotic Empire is great, too, and I couldn't say enough about Topshelf, RFC, No Sleep, and Deathwish. Top of the line people and top of the line labels.

Had a crap experience with Peak Oil. Placed my order, about 3 weeks later and no response from them I opened a Paypal claim, finally got an email that they have sent a replacement and please close the case. Funny, but they have no tracking number for the replacement sent. They also have not responded to Paypal at all. So, I am waiting for a replacement, needless to say I have not closed the case. I will never order from Peak Oil again. As far as great service and great packaging, although it may not be hip, Soundstage Direct, is my go to for less out of the ordinary pressings and Jazz/Blues reissues, they have a great custom mailer and my vinyl arrives pristine every time. They also always have a coupon code for some sort of amount off or free shipping. All That Is Heavy, although a couple dollars maybe more then other places, great service also.

Pre-ordered a 7" from Skeletal Lightning which never showed up.

I contacted the label and got a response from a dude named Sean the same day. He was very understanding and helpful of my issue, ultimately winning over a new returning costumer. In the end they sent me a 10", three 7"(one being the one I originally ordered) and a bunch of extras on the house! The replacement order made it to me very quickly and was more than worth the wait. 

Pre-ordered a 7" from Skeletal Lightning which never showed up.

I contacted the label and got a response from a dude named Sean the same day. He was very understanding and helpful of my issue, ultimately winning over a new returning costumer. In the end they sent me a 10", three 7"(one being the one I originally ordered) and a bunch of extras on the house! The replacement order made it to me very quickly and was more than worth the wait. 

I concur with this statement.  A few weeks ago I placed and order for something out of the distro.  Within 10 minutes I got an email letting me know they were actually out of the LP, it was a mistake for it to be listed still.  I was offered a refund or I could choose something else for the same price.  I opted to order something else and it shipped right away.  Got it a few days later and there was a bonus 7" in the mailer.  This wasn't the first time I ordered from them and it definitely won't be the last.

• 2 weeks later...

Think a few people got the same treatment that I did when ordering the Fuzz record last year from In The Red. The sheer numbers of orders overwhelmed them resulting in them being shipped 2 weeks after release (guessing US got them earlier than UK). Got mine however a few weeks after with an nice Halloween/sorry note and a bonus LP by Thee Cormans chucked in. Very nice

I ordered an LP from In-Sound a few weeks ago and when it showed up I was super bummed that my brand new LP had a deep scratch in it. I was dreading emailing them and arguing over the return shipping coast + a delay in getting the new one out till they got the old. To my surprise I received an email the new day asking about some of the details about the order, after that they sent me a new LP and let me keep the scathed one. In-Sound gets an A+ in my book I'd be happy to order from them again.

I ordered an LP from In-Sound a few weeks ago and when it showed up I was super bummed that my brand new LP had a deep scratch in it. I was dreading emailing them and arguing over the return shipping coast + a delay in getting the new one out till they got the old. To my surprise I received an email the new day asking about some of the details about the order, after that they sent me a new LP and let me keep the scathed one. In-Sound gets an A+ in my book I'd be happy to order from them again.

Good to know.  Thanks.

Not really a distro/label but ordering from the Turnover store envy was pretty bad I ordered 2 Lp's and only got one and have had no response from them at all regarding it. Merch now is also one I've had several bad experiences getting wrong shirt/size/not sending something. 

Best would have to be a small Aussie label Life.Lair.Regret they sorted out the issue I had really fast and even sent me a Christmas card.

edit: not sure if this has been mentioned yet but City of Gold records was also horrible to order from I haven't heard any good reports back when they were around

Edited by openxmind

Not really a distro/label but ordering from the Turnover store envy was pretty bad I ordered 2 Lp's and only got one and have had no response from them at all regarding it. Merch now is also one I've had several bad experiences getting wrong shirt/size/not sending something. 

Best would have to be a small Aussie label Life.Lair.Regret they sorted out the issue I had really fast and even sent me a Christmas card.

edit: not sure if this has been mentioned yet but City of Gold records was also horrible to order from I haven't heard any good reports back when they were around

turnover store is run by the band and they (might) be touring, so that might be the issue.

also, city of gold is run by the biggest piece of shit ever. 

Discogs seller Rollingmailorder

Heard nothing after I bought something from them, messaged them explaining I had bought elsewhere after two weeks of hearing nothing with regards to completing payment.

They got back to me once I has bought elsewhere, added more to the shipping costs than specified on their page. Then left me negative feedback because I didn't pay; after they didn't give me the option to complete payment after two weeks. Shittiest service

I think someone related a bad experience with Middle Man Records not long ago, so I'd like to mention my continued good experiences with them. They were waiting on the Coma Regalia/Greyscale 7" for a while. I emailed them in December to see what was holding things up and Shawn got back to me immediately with info. Just got the package in today,and it was packed well and Shawn included an extra 7" along with a note apologizing again for how long it took to get the split in from the press. Good label/distro as far as I'm concerned.

I just had a nice experience with Paper + Plastick Records.

First it started with a problem. I ordered a record few months ago and received it really poorly packed. Basically the record with no plastic wrap or bag was just put in the record mailer with no extra protection whatsoever. Of course, the record had all four corners bent when I received it. I sent them an e-mail describing my problem and thought it will probably end up in spam or something...

But... Today I received another package from P+P. It was the same record sent again, no charge at all. This time packed as it should be (double card reinforcement inside the record mailer, wrapped in bubble wrap, record removed from cover...). And postage from USA to Europe is not cheap at all. They really made it up for their initial mistake. Funny thing is that they didn't reply to my e-mail or let me know they'll be handling the problem this way. Anyway, nice move Paper + Plastick.

I just had a nice experience with Paper + Plastick Records.

First it started with a problem. I ordered a record few months ago and received it really poorly packed. Basically the record with no plastic wrap or bag was just put in the record mailer with no extra protection whatsoever. Of course, the record had all four corners bent when I received it. I sent them an e-mail describing my problem and thought it will probably end up in spam or something...

But... Today I received another package from P+P. It was the same record sent again, no charge at all. This time packed as it should be (double card reinforcement inside the record mailer, wrapped in bubble wrap, record removed from cover...). And postage from USA to Europe is not cheap at all. They really made it up for their initial mistake. Funny thing is that they didn't reply to my e-mail or let me know they'll be handling the problem this way. Anyway, nice move Paper + Plastick.

Had a similar issue with Paper and Plastic and they resent the same item quickly after E mailing. 

One of the worst:

Definitely the (†††) crossesmerch-shop (don't know what label stands behind it!).

First of all, I asked them to cancel my order which took more than 8 weeks and 12 mails...after getting the confirmation of the cancellation, it took again like 6 weeks and 8 mails to make them send me a refund. In the end, I paid 4,50€ for nothing due to exchange rates and currency fees...

Best customer service:
Run for Cover records (extremely fast and extremely well packaged)

Chisel Records (same ^)
Deathwish (not as fast but still good)

rok lok records (super fast, throws in freebies)

State of Mind recordings (always throws in a free 7" or more)

b9 (super fast, made a mistake once and fixed it right away)

Worst Customer Service

All 3 of these companies/ people scammed me (i.e. I never received the records)
Chris from Old Canes - 7" Kickstarter bundle - completed in 2011, never received the records.

6131 Records - Vinyl Subscription ordered Dec 2011, never received the final package

Tic Tac Totally - Order a record grab bag from them in 2012 - never received it - sent them tons of e-mails never got a reply

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?