Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

Yeah I commented on their Facebook asking where my order was, they said to pm and they would take care of it...which I had three days prior with no response. So I pmd again, and no response still.

I finally got a message across to them late last night. I don't know why it was giving me all these "message failed" errors all day but I haven't used Facebook in 2 years so I figured it might be a glitch in the system. Anyway, they said they'd ship one to me today, whether that happens or not is yet to be seen but it's better than what had transpired before. I basically told them as nicely as possible if you can't get me my record, ok, sucks but it's life. Please send me a refund if you can't because my card got charged, I just want some type of answer either way. They did the same thing to me at first too, said they'd look into it last Friday and never got back to me so I messaged them again.

yeah I mean I only paid over $200 for 3 records that came out a month ago...why should I expect them or a response from their customer service?

That's exactly how I felt. I know things happen out of their control at times but I just wanted to know whether or not my order went through and if I was going to receive it. I know some other posters on here had gotten a receipt and never charged and their order wasn't deemed valid by the label. 

So I just got my package from Monotreme Records in Britain.... I ordered Sleepmakeswaves "In Today Already Walks Tomorrow" EP.

The first track on both sides of the record is scratched, marring both tracks' intros. And the A side has some gnarly abrasion marks, and the center of both records has this weird spidering thing going on like a cracked windshield.

The record is super noisy too. It's 180g vinyl so I'm going to try to clean it, but the scratches are unfixable. GRRRRRRR.

Will be contacting them about this to see what can be done. I fucking knew something like this would happen... so far, EVERY TIME i've ordered a record from an overseas label, it has ALWAYS come with some problem. Either it's scratched, or the record is warped and the jacket bent to fuck... etc.

Monotreme is cool in that they use anti-static sleeves, but... that won't protect shoddy packagine. The record was shrink-wrapped, and simply wrapped in some bubble wrap inside a big mailer. The CD I ordered was placed in between the cardboard folds of said mailer. Very weird.

So I just got my package from Monotreme Records in Britain.... I ordered Sleepmakeswaves "In Today Already Walks Tomorrow" EP.

The first track on both sides of the record is scratched, marring both tracks' intros. And the A side has some gnarly abrasion marks, and the center of both records has this weird spidering thing going on like a cracked windshield.

The record is super noisy too. It's 180g vinyl so I'm going to try to clean it, but the scratches are unfixable. GRRRRRRR.

Will be contacting them about this to see what can be done. I fucking knew something like this would happen... so far, EVERY TIME i've ordered a record from an overseas label, it has ALWAYS come with some problem. Either it's scratched, or the record is warped and the jacket bent to fuck... etc.

Monotreme is cool in that they use anti-static sleeves, but... that won't protect shoddy packagine. The record was shrink-wrapped, and simply wrapped in some bubble wrap inside a big mailer. The CD I ordered was placed in between the cardboard folds of said mailer. Very weird.

Probably 60% or more of my collection is from Europe. I've only ever had an issue ONE time with warp and it was immediately replaced. Sounds like an issue with the label/distro you ordered from :\

The Bad-

Urban Outfitters is a waste of my time as far as mail order goes. I swear they must go out of their way to bend every corner. They are fine with returns, but its just a wast of time. Order 5 records 3 go back. The the ones I send back I think they restock only to send again. ergh!

Any Store that uses the square record mailers! 

Good Experiences-

Member Store at VinylMePlease - Very few issues, always quick to respond. Very friendly. I buy with confidence from these guys.

Indie Vinyl Den - My current go to store. They have gone out of their way to help me find stuff and when there are issues they offer many options. They seem like collectors themselves.

Yeah, mail them! Monotreme is pretty easy to deal with! Only had a problem with them once...they fixed it immediately!

Probably 60% or more of my collection is from Europe. I've only ever had an issue ONE time with warp and it was immediately replaced. Sounds like an issue with the label/distro you ordered from :\

Yeah I donno man, just bad luck I guess.

BUT, Monotreme was on the ball; they responded the same day and are sending me a replacement. This time they're going to open it up and check before hand.

I'm curious how records can get scratched in the mail though, if they are sealed. Is it just that the factory sometimes doesn't completely clean the sleeves or records?

I mean, mine has this big abrasion mark on it and the scratches are like in a big swoop, about the width of a thumb or so. Very odd shape.

I tend to do a lot of my buying in person, but go online for a few things from time-to-time:

ShopRadioCast has been one that my buddies and I have found to be slow in shipping. The orders have always turned up, but it seems like everyone else has their exclusives in hand before ours are shipped.

Victory has been great for me. I know reviews on Epitaph are mixed, but I've done fine with them, too.

Interpunk has been one I have used for years. There have been a couple of speedbumps, but they correct things for me fast when there have been issues. Their pricing is fair, IMHO.

Surprisingly, Best Buy and Barnes and Noble have done right by me when I have had gift cards. I thought stock might be an issue but, in the few cases I ordered, I didn't have any issues.

I tend to use a few eBay shops as my go-to, as they have worked very well for me. Not the traditional sites, but they have been reliable for me and are tried and true. Get Import CDs has shipped to me ridiculously fast and always in great shape (for free). Lazy Labrador Records has also done well by me a few times. Lately, when buying online, I tend to use these because it has been hassle-free so far for over a year.

Killer Merch - Been talking to Leo for a while but I ordered veil of maya's new album like 4-5 months before it came out. I don't know why but the last few orders I've gotten from them I've never gotten a shipping notice. One day I was on the killer Merch site and noticed it was out. Well I got a hold of them and they said they sent it a while ago and it was delivered. Well after about a month of issues with USPS came to the conclusion I was shit out of luck. Well I thought Leo was a good guy because he said he would re-ship my order. That was about a month and a half ago, now I can't get a response from him. Kind of sad when I've spent at least a few hundred bucks with killer Merch.

If a package is tracked and its marked as delivered, it likely was stolen from your front door/porch. You wouldn't be able to make a claim and you'd be dependent on whether the seller was nice enough to offer some compensation.

If a package is sent without tracking and its never confirmed as delivered, you can get your money back via a PayPal claim.

Did they provide you with tracking that shows delivery for either package?

If a package is tracked and its marked as delivered, it likely was stolen from your front door/porch. You wouldn't be able to make a claim and you'd be dependent on whether the seller was nice enough to offer some compensation.

If a package is sent without tracking and its never confirmed as delivered, you can get your money back via a PayPal claim.

Did they provide you with tracking that shows delivery for either package?

Paid with a credit card. And I'm pretty sure someone grabbed it. Wasn't home at the time of delivery. But of course I say something and Leo emails me today with great news. He must be watching. I still love you killer merch.

The increasingly sordid tale of my dealings with Third Man Records' Vault customer service.

I ordered the last Vault package with the fancy new Dead Weather album.  When I signed up, I noticed that they had an old shipping address for me and I changed it on their site.  A few months passed and I got a notice to check my shipping address again. 

"Hmm, it looks like my address change never took.  I'll change it again."

A few days later, I get a shipping notice.  Yay!  New Dead Weather on the way!

<sad trumpet>

The address change didn't take and the box never showed up at my old office, so I wrote TMR to see what they could do.

"Sure, we can ship you a new package but it'll cost you $5 extra because you didn't contact us to change your address..."

"What's the point of a webform if you can't change your address?" I thought, but it's five bucks and I want my record, so yeah, whatever.

Shipment two arrives to the correct address.  Yay!  Wait a second, this is the retail version of the new Dead Weather with a deck of the playing cards from this Vault package.  Another email to their customer service...

"Does the cover have flames on the eyes?  I think you just need to look inside the sleeve for the 7""

So I sent them a picture of what I received and they said they'd ship me another package!  It should arrive today.

It's currently out for delivery in the wrong zip code.  I think they shipped it to the wrong address that started this whole debacle despite confirming that they would ship it to the correct address. 

To be continued...

I've placed a few orders recently with Spartan Records and they have been nothing but awesome to work with. All records have arrived well packaged and in great condition. They even helped me dig up a very hard to find variant of the Schematic album. Once they found a copy, they put it up in the web store for me to purchase. Awesome dudes at that label!

Ordered Kendrick Lamars To Pimp a Butterfly from Amazon. Tracking said that it could not be delivered due to incorrect address. I checked the address and it was exactly the same as a previous order which I had received recently. Emailed Amazon asking what the issue is, they refunded my shipping costs and have sorted the issue out, and the record is now being sent. Cool guy, Amazon

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?