Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

Open letter to Magnetic eye records!

Since you have not been answering my emails about customs issue I decided to make this public. First of all I managed to solve customs by paying them too much thx to you not letting me know what was marked as total value on my parcel. I payed for my records on Nov 17, 2014. I first ordered "Electric ladyland (redux) SIGNED by all recording MER artists for 40$. after that I also bought "best of" album. Your goal was first to make 250 copies, but then money kept on coming in and total pressing quantity higher. At that point I asked you about reward for early packers:

Jergus Kamalahti on November 17, 2014
When I pledged, it was 250 copies, then it jumped to 500 and now 1000 copies. Well, I hope that you guys are at least considering to put the original first 250 copies on more limited variant. That would be nice gesture towards early backers. I mean as an avid music collector I take my vinyl very seriously and pressing quantities do make a difference. Hope you understand and if you are truly able to get that 30000$ pledged (I hope you are) making special 250 copies variant should not be a problem... Thank you and all the best!

Creator Magnetic Eye Records on November 17, 2014

Jergus, thank you for your comment and thank for supporting this project. This is a consideration we have already made and we will be certain to make this experience and each and every backers reward special to the best of our ability. Best, Mike

When I finally got to open my parcel today I first noticed a letter by you saying that "the signed jackets are not working nonetheless hope you love the records..." What the fuck? Did I just pay 40$ for a letter signed by you? Then I noticed that there were seam splits because the records were send inside the jackets? Again what the Fuck? And finally realised that my reward for early packer was BLACK vinyl. What the FUCKING FUCK? Why did I pack up this project while I could just bought some nice colored vinyl from you on -25% discount now...

The reason I posted this here is Mike Banned me from posting to MER FB about this. I think he messed this up bigtime and now refuses to deal with it. Fuck I am pissed! And no my attitude has not been like this. I have not been bothering him at all since Nov 17, 2014 until I got a note that my records were stuck at the customs. I mailed him 2 times very politely asking for help with the matter inside 4 days. No reply. I just got berserk after finally receiving my records...

I see nothing in the info he copy/pasted that says anything about it being a colored variant.

LOL    Black vinyl?    Oh noes.

Limited is limited who cares what color it is, Get over it.

I think that was part of his point though.

He backed it for $40 when he thought it was going to be limited to 250 copies, and signed by the artists.

They kept his $40 bucks, and sent him a "sorry, we fucked up" letter, and a no-longer limited record with a split jacket.

I'm just saying that I can see why he's pissed.

Reaper Records is apparently adjusting their shipping costs for 2064 postal rate inflation right now. Six 7" at $22 w/ $20 shipping - order was sent media mail. Order also missing download codes and they never returned emails about said codes. Oh well.

Reaper shipping prices have always been out of hand.  And I've seen some even worse customer service stories than them not replying.

Reaper shipping prices have always been out of hand. And I've seen some even worse customer service stories than them not replying.

I don't doubt it. They have some great releases and their vinyl is nicely done. Their sale codes are funny because the discount hardly offsets the costs with their unrealistic shipping.

I recently bought a four way split cassette from Let Them Die Records (aka LTD Records) and received on top of my cassette an LP, 4 screen printed patches and a cd as well as loads of random download codes from albums not even on their record label. I mean not all of it was my cup of tea but I was still pretty chuffed to receive so much for free.

Another label I love are the US based label The Native Sound who are not only quick and economical when sending stuff to the UK they also send out downloads on the day of release (fairly standard practise but with ever increasing delays on vinyl pressing this can be a godsend). Alongside this they curate "Starter Packs" where they collect a band's early material (whether it be self released or issued through another label) and bundle all of it together for a cheaper price, giving you a chance to complete a discography in one swoop. They are also crazy prolific for a small-time label.

Got my order of the Harkonen/These Arms Are Snakes split from Mind Over Matter records the other day. Austin had already refunded my shipping because he was delayed in getting my order, but I still got my record in pretty good time, AND there was a handwritten thank you note, and some stickers thrown in for free. Definitely appreciate the extra mile service...

Got my order of the Harkonen/These Arms Are Snakes split from Mind Over Matter records the other day. Austin had already refunded my shipping because he was delayed in getting my order, but I still got my record in pretty good time, AND there was a handwritten thank you note, and some stickers thrown in for free. Definitely appreciate the extra mile service...

MOMR is the best label!

Just had a fairly shitty experience with MerchNow I thought I'd relay. Ordered a couple Dave Hause records from them, and when I got them both were warped. No big deal, it happens, and it only affected play on one, so I contacted them regarding a replacement. Their policy is "ship it back at your expense, we'll get to it in a week and reimburse you for shipping".

They received my return over a month ago, ignored 3 emails from me in the subsequent weeks (the first was sent over a week after they received my item, I gave them the time period they asked for before contacting them), and only replied when I worded my last email a bit strongly (no insults or profanity, just pointed out their poor customer service and how irritating it is to have three emails ignored. They replied stating it would go out in the next batch of returns. Another week went by until it shipped, and they shorted me $3 on my shipping reimbursement, and still sent it out using media mail (sorry, I'm not saying all companies should take a huge loss on a manufacturing defect, but after ignoring emails for a month, big delays over a simple exchange, and shorting me on a shipping reimbursement, send the damn thing priority mail). Should finally have it in a few days, but this was absolutely ridiculous for a simple exchange.

I started a thread about merchnow I think. Worst. Company. Ever.

I ordered a Nirvana - In Utero through them a while back. I opened the box, and it had the Unplugged album in it. I got in touch with them and told them they sent the wrong LP. The woman politely told me that she knew they sent the wrong one. They were out of stock for In Utero, so she thought I'd like Unplugged. So, after I stopped laughing at her, I told her if I wanted Unplugged, I would have ordered it. It's not her money to spend. She gave me a real hard time getting my money back, and no way was I paying to ship it back, they emailed me a postal label.

I started a thread about merchnow I think. Worst. Company. Ever.

I ordered a Nirvana - In Utero through them a while back. I opened the box, and it had the Unplugged album in it. I got in touch with them and told them they sent the wrong LP. The woman politely told me that she knew they sent the wrong one. They were out of stock for In Utero, so she thought I'd like Unplugged. So, after I stopped laughing at her, I told her if I wanted Unplugged, I would have ordered it. It's not her money to spend. She gave me a real hard time getting my money back, and no way was I paying to ship it back, they emailed me a postal label.

Wow, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  I've never heard of a company just shipping out something they "thought you'd like" because they didn't have something in stock.

I got my replacement, and of course it's warped.  I'm moving in a couple weeks, so my turntable was packed away, but when I saw the record was bowed, I had to dig it out and find some cables to hook it to a portable speaker to see how bad it was.  Of course it skipped, just like the last one.  I'm tempted to just kiss my $20 goodbye and go get the damn record on Amazon (thought I'd order from the actual artist to give a bit more support, guess that's the last time I bother doing that), but I'll give them one more email and see what happens.  Definitely not sending anything to them without a prepaid label this time.

Smaller businesses wonder why Amazon is destroying them.  Shit like this is exactly why.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had too many bad transactions/interactions. And the one I have isn't that bad. But mine is with Ormolycka. December 2014 he put up the preorders and auctions that were to help fund the RIP Lil Ugly Mane boxset. I preordered then. He makes a few posts about no longer using paypal and him needing people to send address change emails to a new email, if you have moved. I think twice. Well I moved, so I sent an email every time he asked. I never got a response, but I figure he got it since I sent it twice. Cut to December 2015 when he received the box sets, he sends out another email about address changes. So again, I send it. No response, but I figure he'd get it. I get my order confirmation and it's to the wrong address. I try to do a change through USPS but I couldn't yet since it was stuck in processing. To be safe I message him on Facebook and he says to email him. I do and he sends his first ever response in the matter, super pissed off. I go to his Facebook and the dude is going off about the email changes, fuck this and fuck that. He said that he sent everyone a confirmation that he got their address change. I never got one. I searched my email multiple times to see if I did, and I didn't.

I got my box set in the end, and I didn't catch feelings about his Facebook rant. But along with other people's testimonies, you'll find that ORM doesn't communicate with his customers that well, takes a while to complete projects, and even longer to get people their items. I think some people are still waiting for some Death Grips tapes from 2014. Someone asked him about it and all he could say is "Is your order from December? Because that month got fucked up." People have said that when they order from ORM, they basically try to forget that they did and hope to be surprised to actually get it like it's Christmas.

It's one dude doing all of this, so it can't be easy. But I'd say he should communicate better or something. Keep people updated on delays and such. I'm pretty patient, but I do want to actually know that I'm getting my stuff. No matter how long it takes.

edit: And I just learned that there are people that haven't gotten their sets, and ORM has disabled his Facebook again smh.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mostly pleasant experiences with vinyl sellers, so my worst so far is an ongoing transaction with Respect The Classics. I bought a few (in-stock) albums from them three and a half weeks ago, got the confirmation email, about a week and a half later I noticed that I hadn't yet received an email notifying me of shipment. So I send customer support a quick email asking for a tracking number, about three days later I get an email saying they'll "probably ship it in a couple of days." No apology, no explanation, all of the items are still in stock on their website. Immediately followed up with customer support asking why shipment was taking so long, still haven't gotten a reply after a week and a half, and still no tracking after three and a half weeks.

I'm not worried since it seems like this is a company that does a fair amount of (reputable) business, mostly just annoyed at the very poor customer support. 

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?