Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

I've been ordering stuff from P+P for years and never had any major issues.  Only once did one of the donuts come separated from its feet.   Everything has come pretty much when expected.  Sucks to hear of issues.  

Now as as far as Vinnie not responding to emails....  He is on warped tour.  Was the email you sent to his wunderland***** one?   If not pm me and I can give you the full email addy

as far as crappy service.  Hardline entertainment is taking the cake.  I emailed a little over week ago wondering when the pennywise orders would be shipped and nothing yet back

Edited by NoFxpunkguy

• 1 month later...

Adeline Records has to be the best with customer service if you ask me. I ordered a bunch of 7-inches from them (maybe 6) in one order. One of them skipped in two spots on its first play. They have a 45 day (if I remember correctly) return policy. I waited nearly four months to tell them about it. They replied to my email by the next day and said that they would send out a replacement the next day. When the package came, the replacement was there, plus a few posters, a sticker, AND a bonus Living With Lions 7". I emailed them to tell them that the package arrived, and I asked if the extras were a mistake. They told me it was an added bonus for their mistake. I've never had a bad experience with Adeline. 

I had a pretty good experience with Fearless Record's MerchNow a few months back too. I emailed just to inform them that a case on a cassette I ordered arrived cracked. I told them that I'm not looking for a replacement, I just wanted to let them know that they should be a bit more cautious with packaging. They apologized and sent me a whole new tape and case. I told them they didn't have to, but I really appreciate them doing that. 

The worst label I've ever dealt with is Rise Records. The same problem occurred with a record that I purchased from them -- the record skipped (in 6 places) on its very first spin! I emailed them three times, two months apart each time; never, even to this day, did they respond to a single email. 

I've also had some bad experiences with No Sleep Records, though I've had good ones as well. They had a promotion going where they added a random 12" to every vinyl order, while supplies last. I placed my order the day after the promotion started. I thought I would treat myself for my birthday. I opened the package to see what the random record would be and it wasn't there, just what I ordered. The extra was a huge incentive to me placing the order in the first place. They kept this promotion going for nearly a month after my packages arrived. That's just false advertisement to make more money. I also pre-ordered an LP from No Sleep once, set to release in December, 2015. It didn't arrive until late March, 2016. I understand that vinyl distribution set backs are usually out of the label's control, but would it kill to send your customers an update?

Edited by MyckelJay
Typos. + I remembered another good experience.

On 3/22/2016 at 10:15 AM, Stress On The Sky said:

had a pretty baleful experience with Warner Music Group yesterday when Biffy Clyro's Warner Run official store crashed as the pre-order for the deluxe version the band's new album Elipsis went live. Not only did the store grind to a halt under what I assume was very heavy traffic hundreds of customers have seemingly been left out in the cold with no idea whether their orders went through. Some people out of sheer frustration opened multiple orders have stated they've ended up being charged for five but had no confirmations. I myself after three hours of battling ended up with a paypal receipt but no official word from the WMG run store and I've spent all morning trying to chase them on this for an answer only to find that the email listed on the paypal account isn't even active.

How a major league player like WMG could be that unprepared for heavy internet traffic is beyond me. I hope I get an email explaining that my order will be honoured but after this mess I can see it being a while before anything is said or cleared up.

I had a similar experience when I preordered May Death Never Stop You. I was ordering a $50 preorder package and the site crashed multiple times due to heavy traffic. I kept getting an error message saying my order didn't go through, and to try again later. I decided to wait a few hours, then to try again. I ended up checking my bank statement and had $250 (roughly) pending to WMG. I emailed them to try and get everything worked out. Never got a reply. I eventually (after about 5 days) got everything worked out with my bank, but I still never got a reply from Warner. I ended up getting my package, but it sucked not being able to spend money for nearly a week. I hope everything works out with your order. 

Anybody have any rough experiences with Smart Punk (and their outsourced shipping company District Lines) since they've resurfaced? They had some Less Than Jake exclusives for Loosing Streak and Hello Rockview that I bought.

4/18 - Preordered records (due to ship in May)
7/8 - Still no email with a tracking number or any records. Noticed a lot of folks on here had already gotten their's a few weeks prior. Followed up and they said my package had been "lost"
7/19 - Records came, very beat up due to improper packing. I'm not one to normally complain about dinged corners. But these were pretty beat up. They both had pretty large jacket splits, maybe 2"-3", as well as sleeve splits and huge corner bends. So I emailed them asking for a replacement jackets.
IMG_3128_zpswm8xdapt.jpg
7/22 - They told me they have a few extra replacement records and to send them back and they'd send out a replacements.
8/2 - Followed up to see if they received the records I sent back. Got a response that they received them a few hours ago (which I know now to be a lie) and a tracking for my replacement records would be emailed to me in 24 hours.
8/15 - Followed up about that tracking number I never got, no response to that email
8/16 - Called customer service to try to figure out what the hell was going on. Was told that the people at smart punk are out of town, but my records shipped about a week ago. (again another lie) Would get a tracking number within 24 hours (never came)
8/19 - Got an email from a different representative at district lines from the person who had been handling the case thus far that my records were just received a few hours ago (even though they told me they received them a few weeks ago?) and I'd be getting a refund shortly (all along I was very clear that I would just like replacement jackets, the originally representative said that was no issue and never mentioned a refund)
8/22 - Called to talk to them and say I would really just like a replacement jacket, not a refund, and they told me they already gave out the copies they had set aside as replacements, they don't have any copies left, sorry get lost.

So 4 months later I'm left with out any records. And now I have to hunt them down on ebay 
:(

Fuck smartpunk and their outsourced shipping service district lines. This was my first dealing with smartpunk since they've resurfaced, and their customer service is god awful.

Edited by kylet

My Rockview had two seam splits at the top.  One 1.5 inch split from the record and then a small 2cm split just to the left of the main split (from the comic book?).  I just kept it cause the record was fine and played great.  Sorry you got roped into this rabbit hole of returning them for replacements.

On 8/17/2016 at 1:43 AM, MyckelJay said:

I had a pretty good experience with Fearless Record's MerchNow a few months back too. I emailed just to inform them that a case on a cassette I ordered arrived cracked. I told them that I'm not looking for a replacement, I just wanted to let them know that they should be a bit more cautious with packaging. They apologized and sent me a whole new tape and case. I told them they didn't have to, but I really appreciate them doing that. 

The worst label I've ever dealt with is Rise Records. The same problem occurred with a record that I purchased from them -- the record skipped (in 6 places) on its very first spin! I emailed them three times, two months apart each time; never, even to this day, did they respond to a single email. 

Rise and Fearless are both run by MerchNow.  If you couldn't get MerchNow customer support to help you out then you should go directly to the label to see if they can kick the people they pay to handle their mail order into gear.

1 hour ago, dantheriver said:

Rise and Fearless are both run by MerchNow.  If you couldn't get MerchNow customer support to help you out then you should go directly to the label to see if they can kick the people they pay to handle their mail order into gear.

I didn't try contacting Merchnow because I didn't order it, I picked it up in-store. I just emailed Rise (3 times) to see if there was a way that I could send them the record and get a replacement. Whether they would honor that or not, a response would've been nice. I'd be happier with them telling their customers no, rather than have them ignore their customers. You know?

37 minutes ago, MyckelJay said:

I didn't try contacting Merchnow because I didn't order it, I picked it up in-store. I just emailed Rise (3 times) to see if there was a way that I could send them the record and get a replacement. Whether they would honor that or not, a response would've been nice. I'd be happier with them telling their customers no, rather than have them ignore their customers. You know?

I do know, but since they don't handle their own mail order you can't assume that they even have spare copies laying around their office.  I'm 99.9% merchnow wouldn't have done anything.  Best bet in that case is to return it to the shop you bought it at. If they don't have another copy then just take your refund and order one online.

2 hours ago, MyckelJay said:

You mention your records skipping.  What turntable are you using?  And what did you use to clean them before playing them?

17 hours ago, Gleb said:

Does anyone ordered anything from Pesanta Urfolk? I have ordered some records 2 months ago but they have not send it yet...

It's been a long time since I've ordered from Pesanta. I've always gotten my stuff, but recall them being a bit slow.

Although after 2 months, I'd fire off an email fo sho.

9 minutes ago, Metal Mike said:

It's been a long time since I've ordered from Pesanta. I've always gotten my stuff, but recall them being a bit slow.

Although after 2 months, I'd fire off an email fo sho.

I have sent about 4-5 messages by email - they just ignore me. I paid with credit card (not through Paypal) so I can't open a claim. Really don't know what to do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2016 at 11:51 AM, tonyregret said:

Paper and Plastick are killing me right now. Earlier this week I received an email about the Medictation record they were releasing. Preorders went up for this album in January, and it has been delay after delay after delay. In the email, the label announced that they were no longer handling the release of the vinyl, that the band themselves were now overseeing it. Refunds would be available if you email P+P and request one. 

On the P+P site, there is a generic contact form for anyone to use to reach them and get a response. I requested my refund for that title, as well as the We Are the Union EP that was announced in April 2015 and never was released. Never got a response from the label. So I found Vinnie's email address, sent him the same message for the refund. I have not gotten a reply from him either. 

This is is by far the worst experience I have ever had dealing with customer service. I will never order from Paper and Plastick records again.

We have taken over the MEDICTATION LP with the band and will be releasing it in North/South America. Get your refunds and preorder from us, shipping soon!!! =)

More info:

(*Please note: If you Preordered Medictation through Paper & Plastic, it will not be honored by us. We have taken over the record & have done our own pressing with the help of the band. We have nothing to do with the P+P preorder. Please write them for a refund if you'd like, you can now order it through us instead. Sorry for any misunderstanding. European version available through Little Rocket Records. Thanks!) 

http://www.deadbrokerecords.com

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to give some serious props to Sub Pop's customer service.

I bought the Afghan Whigs - Do To The Beast from a third party seller on Amazon.  When I got it, there was a defect on the D Side in the first track.  I knew there was a pressing defect on the 1st press of these, so I reached out to Sub Pop and asked them if there were any kind of identifiers of that press so I could go back to the Amazon seller and ask if they had any of the later copies.  Apparently that defect was only on the Loser edition and not on the black copy I bought, so instead of making me go back to the seller and deal with a replacement, Sub Pop sent me a replacement free of charge.

So I buy one of their records through an Amazon seller, it has a defect, and after contacting their CS they replace it for the seller.  That's pretty incredible service.

• 2 weeks later...

Does Kiss of Death Records suck for everybody or just me? 

I ordered from them in the past and it took nearly 2 months to receive an in-stock record. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and ordered an album I've been meaning to grab for a couple years now, but during checkout PayPal autofilled my old address and they won't respond to my email letting them know of the error. Judging by my last experience it's not like they're going to ship it anytime soon anyways. 

EDIT:

Issue has been resolved. Label name has been removed.

This label is to busy making posts on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook than to respond to emails and messages sent directly through the label website to help resolve an issue I had with my order. Horrible customer service.

Edited by whoshotthefrog

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2016 at 9:38 AM, whoshotthefrog said:

EDIT:

Issue has been resolved. Label name has been removed.

This label is to busy making posts on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook than to respond to emails and messages sent directly through the label website to help resolve an issue I had with my order. Horrible customer service.

Sounds like Rise Records. Except they'll never resolve their problems. Oh well. 

I never had problems with hellomerch before but now I'm quite annoyed...

I'm waiting for my Russian Circles Guidance pack for 3 months now. I'm in constant communication with hellomerch and was really patient until now...last email today stated basically I need to wait until the lost package makes it back to hellomerch in the US...wtf?

Hope to get this fucking record at least in 2017...should have ordered the EU variant.... :/

On 11/16/2016 at 3:45 PM, Sasan said:

I never had problems with hellomerch before but now I'm quite annoyed...

I'm waiting for my Russian Circles Guidance pack for 3 months now. I'm in constant communication with hellomerch and was really patient until now...last email today stated basically I need to wait until the lost package makes it back to hellomerch in the US...wtf?

Hope to get this fucking record at least in 2017...should have ordered the EU variant.... :/

I've asked Hello Merch for a replacement jacket for the new Caspian 8" because mine came shredded....  thankfully the vinyl wasn't affected, somehow.  They only wrapped one piece of thin insulation padding around the record, like that's going to brace anything!  And to do that while charging more than media mail costs is kind of insulting. 

I feel like it's not unreasonable to expect labels to ship their products to you in a manner that ensures their arrival in new condition.  Am I crazy?

37 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I've asked Hello Merch for a replacement jacket for the new Caspian 8" because mine came shredded....  thankfully the vinyl wasn't affected, somehow.  They only wrapped one piece of thin insulation padding around the record, like that's going to brace anything!  And to do that while charging more than media mail costs is kind of insulting. 

I feel like it's not unreasonable to expect labels to ship their products to you in a manner that ensures their arrival in new condition.  Am I crazy?

Just got a response that they'll re-send my package...but I need to pay $18 for shipping again! :huh:

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?