Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

50 minutes ago, Sasan said:

Just got a response that they'll re-send my package...but I need to pay $18 for shipping again! :huh:

Yeah on their note inside the package, it says that they don't do returns, and any exchange for damaged stuff is subject to the buyer paying shipping again.  Not a very fair policy. 

Just heard back from Kimberly at Hello Merch....   help is not on the way.  No extra jackets, and will not accept a return.  It's "cosmetic" damage.  How about packing your shit properly, you fucktards. 

I know this is petty, but holy shit... how hard is it to make sure the things you sell people arrive in proper condition?  Jesus. 

On 19/11/2016 at 4:08 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

Just heard back from Kimberly at Hello Merch....   help is not on the way.  No extra jackets, and will not accept a return.  It's "cosmetic" damage.  How about packing your shit properly, you fucktards. 

I know this is petty, but holy shit... how hard is it to make sure the things you sell people arrive in proper condition?  Jesus. 

I just got my Castles High... in and 3/4 edges of the PVC are damaged, and there was a BIG gap between the record in the foam sleeve and the actual cardboard it posted in. I know there's always a risk of some bumps and stuff but you're right, the least you could ask was that it was snugly packed. I'll be doing my best to avoid ordering with them again, and to be honest if I'd known about their damage policy I probably wouldn't have in the first place!

12 hours ago, Mattallurgist said:

I just got my Castles High... in and 3/4 edges of the PVC are damaged, and there was a BIG gap between the record in the foam sleeve and the actual cardboard it posted in. I know there's always a risk of some bumps and stuff but you're right, the least you could ask was that it was snugly packed. I'll be doing my best to avoid ordering with them again, and to be honest if I'd known about their damage policy I probably wouldn't have in the first place!

I would strongly urge you to write them with a complaint.  They relented and are shipping me a new jacket. 

She told me that you can always request additional padding in the notes section of an order.  Which.... yeah, okay, makes sense... but you shouldn't have to fucking ask "Hey, label.... make sure you ship this properly."  

She said she's just trying to uphold their policy.  Which, okay... I get that, but if your people did their job correctly the first time, these issues wouldn't happen.  How hard is it to take an extra 2 minutes and wedge the thing between 2 cardboard squares so that there's enough pressure holding it in place? 

This is a silly, petty thing.... but I think it's absolutely unacceptable that we, as customers, are expected to just take this sitting down.  You shouldn't buy a new thing and have it come with damage. 

13 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I would strongly urge you to write them with a complaint.  They relented and are shipping me a new jacket. 

She told me that you can always request additional padding in the notes section of an order.  Which.... yeah, okay, makes sense... but you shouldn't have to fucking ask "Hey, label.... make sure you ship this properly."  

She said she's just trying to uphold their policy.  Which, okay... I get that, but if your people did their job correctly the first time, these issues wouldn't happen.  How hard is it to take an extra 2 minutes and wedge the thing between 2 cardboard squares so that there's enough pressure holding it in place? 

This is a silly, petty thing.... but I think it's absolutely unacceptable that we, as customers, are expected to just take this sitting down.  You shouldn't buy a new thing and have it come with damage. 

Glad to hear you got your jacket sorted, hope the second is okay! I'll definitely get in touch with them, hopefully enough people do that they revise the policy in future...

Yeah....  if you don't get a new one, you can have mine if you want.  At least one side is intact....

I can't imagine anything would happen to this on the way over; it shouldn't have a record inside of it to slice it open haha. 

Edited by Gumbo72203
what the fuck is happening

• 2 weeks later...

Got great service from Blood Music a couple months back. I was trying to import some albums from the EU website since there weren't any left on the North American site. Ran into some issues paying. Contacted them and turns out they had some left over for the domestic price.  Got it for that price and they sent them immediately. I think they usually mail in bulk since they're very low staffed, maybe even one guy if I remember correctly.  Being able to avoid shipping from EU and exchange rates saved me almost half price on those records. Awesome.

Edited by paulaayy

Mentioned it in a few threads last month, but figure I should post it here too:

Mondo has fucking stellar customer service. Received The Fountain (with a nearly unlistenable A side) on a Monday, emailed them on Tuesday, had my new copy on Thursday.

Also, I've said this probably a hundred times, at least a dozen in this thread probably, but Deathwish has phenomenal customer service. No real reason for me to say it, but they just always and forever deserve a shout out.

11 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Also, I've said this probably a hundred times, at least a dozen in this thread probably, but Deathwish has phenomenal customer service. No real reason for me to say it, but they just always and forever deserve a shout out.

THIS ALWAYS

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I know SRC gets a lot of shit around here and now  I see why.  I purchased a  copy of Calculating Infinity through them because they accept PayPal and had a listing (see screenshot below ) for the Halloween Orange version of Calculating Infinity. Instead, I received the standard black version. When I contacted customer service, I was told the following:

"They were limited to 550. We didn't get all 550 and when we ran out we started sending the standard black version. Sorry. You can return for a refund if you'd like. Thanks!"

I don't think it's unreasonable to think you're buying the Halloween Orange version based on the screenshot below. In the very least it's a deceptive listing.

klqp8eV.png

4 hours ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Okay, I know SRC gets a lot of shit around here and now  I see why.  I purchased a  copy of Calculating Infinity through them because they accept PayPal and had a listing (see screenshot below ) for the Halloween Orange version of Calculating Infinity. Instead, I received the standard black version. When I contacted customer service, I was told the following:

"They were limited to 550. We didn't get all 550 and when we ran out we started sending the standard black version. Sorry. You can return for a refund if you'd like. Thanks!"

I don't think it's unreasonable to think you're buying the Halloween Orange version based on the screenshot below. In the very least it's a deceptive listing.

klqp8eV.png

They can't be bothered to keep up with their inventory. They'd rather go through the hastle of refunds and PayPal disputes than do that.

9 hours ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

klqp8eV.png

They offered you a full refund in a timely manner? Those bastards!

1 hour ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Why send out a product that's different than the description in the first place? Offering a refund is the bare minimum customer service expectation.

They apologized and offered you a full refund. Not exactly the worst customer service. I get your aggravated about the transaction, I just don't think it relates to this thread.

3 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

They apologized and offered you a full refund. Not exactly the worst customer service. I get your aggravated about the transaction, I just don't think it relates to this thread.

You don't think a company sending you the wrong product on purpose (and hoping you won't notice) is a big deal? Is it the worst, I suppose not, but in the very least it says a lot about how little they value their customers. 

• 2 weeks later...

As a guy running a small label, it sucks when the shipping process goes so terrible.  I am very hands on with everything I do, and it's literally just my wife and I.  We do everything from social media posts, project management, distribution, marketing and (some) PR, website, design, mailorder, ISRC coding,  literally everything.   It always bums me out to hear when someone gets a record from us that is damaged when we take great care in the packing process, yet somehow the USPS (or other carrier) absolutely trashes the package.  Mind you, this doesn't happen often, but it's worse when the person on the receiving end assumes that we as a label would pack it up already damaged or as if we intentionally made it so the customer would receive  a damaged item.  I have literally all label lines of communication linked to my phone specifically to ensure that I can get back to people almost immediately, and trying to keep people in the loop as quickly as possible is usually the best step we've been able to take in trying to keep the damage minimal.  Vinyl is expensive as hell, so it should be treated as a big deal for both the label and the customer when things go wrong, rightfully so.

I'd like to think we are pretty good with working with people on the rare occasion when this does happen, and although it costs us in the end, it's the right thing to do.  Hell, in one case, a guy in Ireland got a record that was literally FOLDED IN HALF.  He sent pics, and although it cost us about $50 to resend it, hoping that it would not show up the way it did the first time, we did it anyway.  It's a bitch, but again, it's the right thing to do.   Only part that sucks is the money lost, especially when a pressing plant sends over defective product to the label (trust me, this can happen even after you've approved test pressings....it's not a fail safe).  So it goes, I guess.  In the end, it's worth it to see the customer happy, or if that's not possible, try to compromise and make it work to get there.

Long winded post, sorry.  I guess it's just that as a label manager and a guy who orders a ton of vinyl over mailorder for myself, I can see both sides of the coin.

9 hours ago, blackhouse records said:

As a guy running a small label, it sucks when the shipping process goes so terrible.  I am very hands on with everything I do, and it's literally just my wife and I.  We do everything from social media posts, project management, distribution, marketing and (some) PR, website, design, mailorder, ISRC coding,  literally everything.   It always bums me out to hear when someone gets a record from us that is damaged when we take great care in the packing process, yet somehow the USPS (or other carrier) absolutely trashes the package.  Mind you, this doesn't happen often, but it's worse when the person on the receiving end assumes that we as a label would pack it up already damaged or as if we intentionally made it so the customer would receive  a damaged item.  I have literally all label lines of communication linked to my phone specifically to ensure that I can get back to people almost immediately, and trying to keep people in the loop as quickly as possible is usually the best step we've been able to take in trying to keep the damage minimal.  Vinyl is expensive as hell, so it should be treated as a big deal for both the label and the customer when things go wrong, rightfully so.

I'd like to think we are pretty good with working with people on the rare occasion when this does happen, and although it costs us in the end, it's the right thing to do.  Hell, in one case, a guy in Ireland got a record that was literally FOLDED IN HALF.  He sent pics, and although it cost us about $50 to resend it, hoping that it would not show up the way it did the first time, we did it anyway.  It's a bitch, but again, it's the right thing to do.   Only part that sucks is the money lost, especially when a pressing plant sends over defective product to the label (trust me, this can happen even after you've approved test pressings....it's not a fail safe).  So it goes, I guess.  In the end, it's worth it to see the customer happy, or if that's not possible, try to compromise and make it work to get there.

Long winded post, sorry.  I guess it's just that as a label manager and a guy who orders a ton of vinyl over mailorder for myself, I can see both sides of the coin.

Hear hear. 

Shoutout to Spartan Records! (Finally) Ordered a copy of "Destination: Beautiful" to go with my "The Everglow". Just came in with a handwritten thanks, label sticker, Twizzler candy, and a Torii Hunter baseball card. Oh, and they're great with shipping/packaging... it's just nice and/or cool to get little extras. :P

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?