Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

Nightmare experience with Music Direct

Ordered a record, arrived with an 8" gash across the back of the jacket. Returned it with the assurance that the title was on backorder, but had to bug them for an update on the backordered record after two weeks of radio silence. Turns out, OOP. Shocker. Then tried to work out an exchange but they couldn't figure out the billing for the difference. Was told they'd refund me instead. Ok, cool. Received the refund, but it was only a partial refund... despite them being at fault for a defective item. Lesson learned, should've just filed a PayPal claim a month and a half ago lol. 

recently— Magnolia Record Club.  They have members only variants.  Im not a member but i emailed them asking if a certain one would be sold to the public.  They said the extras would be up “shortly”.  Well it sold out in minutes. I missed it.  Told them thanks anyway.   They wrote back and said they were going to make sure that i got one. They had cancelled a few orders from flippers who bought too many. We tried to time it a few times where they’d add one to the store and theyd email me (it sold out everytime it was added). Finally we got it on the third attempt when they added five copies.   They are amazing.  https://magnoliarecord.store/

Edited by bear801

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Closed Casket has been abysmal lately.  Have a record where the label was created but not sent to the PO.  That was on July 27th.  They setup an email for this sorta thing.  Sent 3 weeks ago and nothing from them.  Seems a ton of others are going through the same thing with things.  

Sucks too, because love supporting small-ish labels, especially during these times.  

1 minute ago, IntoXAnother said:

Closed Casket has been abysmal lately.  Have a record where the label was created but not sent to the PO.  That was on July 27th.  They setup an email for this sorta thing.  Sent 3 weeks ago and nothing from them.  Seems a ton of others are going through the same thing with things.  

Sucks too, because love supporting small-ish labels, especially during these times.  

My Full of Health 7" shipped from them a while ago but it's been stuck in Jersey City for 10 days. I haven't had any negative experiences with Closed Casket. They actually responded to me quickly a couple months ago when I needed to change an order. I'd recommend trying a different contact, possibly [email protected] or [email protected]

• 1 month later...

I ordered a copy of Misery Signals Ultraviolet from Basick Records/Supplies in the UK (I live in Canada). Record shipped at the beginning of August and still hasn't arrived. Others who live in my area who ordered the same got theirs by the end of August. Tried 4 times to get in touch with them since September just asking for tracking info and was never responded to. Had to start a PayPal dispute, which I have never had to do. Pretty bummed tbh.

• 3 weeks later...

Fuck me for giving DeepDiscount a chance, I guess. I preordered something almost two months ago, with the release date now being last week. Sometime since then, they deleted the item from the site, and never even notified me that it wasn't actually available (or issued a refund) until I inquired about it. 

On 10/11/2020 at 6:19 AM, Sjchecchia said:

I ordered a copy of Misery Signals Ultraviolet from Basick Records/Supplies in the UK (I live in Canada). Record shipped at the beginning of August and still hasn't arrived. Others who live in my area who ordered the same got theirs by the end of August. Tried 4 times to get in touch with them since September just asking for tracking info and was never responded to. Had to start a PayPal dispute, which I have never had to do. Pretty bummed tbh.

They're useless, I got mine, it was faulty, never responded to anything and had to do a paypal dispute.

On 10/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, mitchard said:

Fuck me for giving DeepDiscount a chance, I guess. I preordered something almost two months ago, with the release date now being last week. Sometime since then, they deleted the item from the site, and never even notified me that it wasn't actually available (or issued a refund) until I inquired about it. 

I've only had one experience with them but it was pretty solid.  Pre-order that was fulfilled and arrived on time, for a bit cheaper than everywhere else.  May not be so lucky going forward, but cut from that same cloth...

PopMarket has taken a bit of a stumble for me.  I had a few orders with them years back, and they seemed to go smoothly.  Pre-ordered a Nicolas Jaar through them as soon as it went up for sale.  Slated for a September release.  Waited and waited, growingly slightly more peeved by copies being listed everywhere else – including Discogs, in hand – before finally reaching out to them.  Despite the release date being over a month ago, they basically said "uhh that's on backorder and we don't control backorder dates.  Sorry it hasn't shipped yet."  That's it.  And realistically, whoever wrote that e-mail... I understand that they can't snap their fingers and make stock magically appear.  But this shit's been out in the wild for 5 weeks now.  Long enough for there to be a sales history on Discogs.  And they still couldn't even confirm when that stock may get in.  Hell, a heads-up e-mail would've been great 4, 3, or 2 weeks ago.  Just a quick little "hey I know we've got your money hostage and you're probably wondering where your product is.  We're working on it.  Sit tight" kind of communication.  I think someone is dropping the ball on their end, and I wouldn't be surprised if they simply fail to receive any stock, period.  I politely asked for a refund so I can just be done and order from someone who has copies ready to ship.  Lesson learned, on my end, and a precautionary tale for anyone intrigued by a PopMarket PO.

While I'm at it, Pelagic have really lost my trust as well.  Once again, I've ordered a dozen+ pre-orders from them in the past.  They always do a great job shipping internationally, responding to any e-mails, fulfilling variant orders... you name it.  Months back they did a pre-order for a Pg.lost reissue.  Hopped on, day 1, super early.  I remember ordering it from my phone, in bed, before sunrise.  Waited and waited.  Dealt with the inevitable Covid headaches; can't recall if it was manufacturing delays or US-shipping woes, but I gave it a fair bit of time.  Then a fellow VCer, a few weeks back, mentioned that they were posting on social Media that they oversold the variant I ordered... and that if we hadn't received them yet, we weren't getting them.  Cool.  Would've maybe been a nice thing to communicate.  Maybe offer a refund and a 10%-off coupon for the inconvenience, whatever.  But I had to hear it through the grapevine, and reached out to them to confirm it and start the initiation process.  Gave it a week – no response.  Opened a PayPal claim, which usually sparks the attention of whoever needs to sort things out... but, still nothing.  PayPal has given a generous 3 weeks for Pelagic to figure things out, issue a refund, or whatever it is they need to do.  It's been radio silence and I imagine, by now, they'll make me wait the full window (through 11/12) before escalating it.  Could be wrong... but their operation is either spread bone-thin due to Covid, or they're just trolling at this point.  I think it's only, like, $28 in limbo but still pretty annoying.  I don't think I'll be bothering with them in the future, especially since a lot of their releases get distro'd to A1KA on the same or equally nice variants.

14 hours ago, Derek™ said:

While I'm at it, Pelagic have really lost my trust as well.  Once again, I've ordered a dozen+ pre-orders from them in the past.  They always do a great job shipping internationally, responding to any e-mails, fulfilling variant orders... you name it.  Months back they did a pre-order for a Pg.lost reissue.  Hopped on, day 1, super early.  I remember ordering it from my phone, in bed, before sunrise.  Waited and waited.  Dealt with the inevitable Covid headaches; can't recall if it was manufacturing delays or US-shipping woes, but I gave it a fair bit of time.  Then a fellow VCer, a few weeks back, mentioned that they were posting on social Media that they oversold the variant I ordered... and that if we hadn't received them yet, we weren't getting them.  Cool.  Would've maybe been a nice thing to communicate.  Maybe offer a refund and a 10%-off coupon for the inconvenience, whatever.  But I had to hear it through the grapevine, and reached out to them to confirm it and start the initiation process.  Gave it a week – no response.  Opened a PayPal claim, which usually sparks the attention of whoever needs to sort things out... but, still nothing.  PayPal has given a generous 3 weeks for Pelagic to figure things out, issue a refund, or whatever it is they need to do.  It's been radio silence and I imagine, by now, they'll make me wait the full window (through 11/12) before escalating it.  Could be wrong... but their operation is either spread bone-thin due to Covid, or they're just trolling at this point.  I think it's only, like, $28 in limbo but still pretty annoying.  I don't think I'll be bothering with them in the future, especially since a lot of their releases get distro'd to A1KA on the same or equally nice variants.

Dude.  It was pulling teeth to get any information on that.  They're too busy caring about their massive The Ocean reissues and whatever else.  I've spoken to 3 different people from the label via email and Facebook. 

There's a Facebook group - Pelagic Records - where the label people responded to my issues.  So, maybe try that?  It's so annoying though man. 

1 minute ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Dude.  It was pulling teeth to get any information on that.  They're too busy caring about their massive The Ocean reissues and whatever else.  I've spoken to 3 different people from the label via email and Facebook. 

There's a Facebook group - Pelagic Records - where the label people responded to my issues.  So, maybe try that?  It's so annoying though man. 

If you hadn't said anything I would've just been twiddling my thumbs and wondering if I'd eventually get my order.  It's super frustrating to know I'm probably not getting my order, and having to jump through hoops just to confirm that, and start a refund process.  I hate being bratty and opening up a PayPal dispute the minute I don't get my way, so I try to give ample time when possible.  (Generally a full week to reply to any e-mail inquiries.)  It's been 2-3 weeks of radio silence though.  Based on that, and what you're saying above, I have zero regrets taking so much initiative so quickly.  I'm just glad it wasn't a larger, pricier order.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

If you hadn't said anything I would've just been twiddling my thumbs and wondering if I'd eventually get my order.  It's super frustrating to know I'm probably not getting my order, and having to jump through hoops just to confirm that, and start a refund process.  I hate being bratty and opening up a PayPal dispute the minute I don't get my way, so I try to give ample time when possible.  (Generally a full week to reply to any e-mail inquiries.)  It's been 2-3 weeks of radio silence though.  Based on that, and what you're saying above, I have zero regrets taking so much initiative so quickly.  I'm just glad it wasn't a larger, pricier order.

Dude they would have never said anything had I not emailed them either.  Bullshit.  Really not cool.

They did offer me a replacement - which ended up being the /300 Wang Wen "Invisible City" variant.  So, that's kind of cool.  But I wanted that splatter :(

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 9:15 PM, Derek™ said:

I've only had one experience with them but it was pretty solid.  Pre-order that was fulfilled and arrived on time, for a bit cheaper than everywhere else.  May not be so lucky going forward, but cut from that same cloth...

PopMarket has taken a bit of a stumble for me.  I had a few orders with them years back, and they seemed to go smoothly.  Pre-ordered a Nicolas Jaar through them as soon as it went up for sale.  Slated for a September release.  Waited and waited, growingly slightly more peeved by copies being listed everywhere else – including Discogs, in hand – before finally reaching out to them.  Despite the release date being over a month ago, they basically said "uhh that's on backorder and we don't control backorder dates.  Sorry it hasn't shipped yet."  That's it.  And realistically, whoever wrote that e-mail... I understand that they can't snap their fingers and make stock magically appear.  But this shit's been out in the wild for 5 weeks now.  Long enough for there to be a sales history on Discogs.  And they still couldn't even confirm when that stock may get in.  Hell, a heads-up e-mail would've been great 4, 3, or 2 weeks ago.  Just a quick little "hey I know we've got your money hostage and you're probably wondering where your product is.  We're working on it.  Sit tight" kind of communication.  I think someone is dropping the ball on their end, and I wouldn't be surprised if they simply fail to receive any stock, period.  I politely asked for a refund so I can just be done and order from someone who has copies ready to ship.  Lesson learned, on my end, and a precautionary tale for anyone intrigued by a PopMarket PO.

I actually had a really good experience with PM lately. Ordered a 3xLP that was missing the third disc, they replaced it immediately and responded right away.

On the other hand, my experiences with Rough Trade are routinely iffy. They sent me the wrong item once and never responded to my email.

Fuck LiveNation. I specifically  ordered the Soundgarden Live 4xLP from the artist store cause they repressed it and I wanted to guarantee I got the new pressing. They sent me the wrong one (I ordered the splatter variant which is $10 more). Shipping was also $12.33 and took 2 weeks to send out. I emailed them about the mistake and I then realized who handles Soundgarden’s store and knew I was never gonna hear anything. I emailed a few times over the next couple of weeks and never heard anything. I opened a claim through my credit card and they put the funds back in the mean time. In a week or so it’ll be reversed (45 days). I got a colored variant through Sound of Vinyl for pretty cheap. So sounds like I’ll get an old colored variant (which sounds fine thankfully) and a black new pressing for $45 total. So I get my $107 back, a free copy, and LN can suck it. 

Edited by Sad Heart

I just had a variant issue with Goner Records yesterday but they dealt with it the best way possible. 

They responded to my email within minutes with an apology, prepaid return label, and full refund. They even sent another follow-up email apologizing again for the mix up. Unfortunately, they were sold out of the variant I wanted.

Awesome customer service for an honest mistake. 

I wouldn't hesitate to give them another shot in the future.

• 1 month later...

Anyone ever order from DiscoverMusic.com? Are they legit? My wife ordered me an Offspring record for Christmas with guaranteed delivery by 12/24 and nothing.. No tracking, no response ( tried emailing and filling out the contact us form ) Any input or experiences are appreciated!

Thanks all. 

9 minutes ago, RecordsandIPA said:

Anyone ever order from DiscoverMusic.com? Are they legit? My wife ordered me an Offspring record for Christmas with guaranteed delivery by 12/24 and nothing.. No tracking, no response ( tried emailing and filling out the contact us form ) Any input or experiences are appreciated!

Thanks all. 

They’re legit but they’re an impersonal retailer with slow customer service. Stuff usually ships a week or more after you buy and each reply you get from customer service takes 4-5 days and it’s a different agent each time. It’s worth the slowness for the great deals they run every so often. Too late for this order but I’d never trust their estimated shipping times or guarantees and expect to get your records from them at their own pace.

got a copy of velocitydesigncomfort from darla records and it came packaged insanely well.

same with the flenser, everything ive gotten from them is top top top tier. my copy of lysf i got from there came packaged in this huge box with a ton of packing peanuts and bubble wrap, completely unscathed. quick responses too. just really love the flenser man

On 12/26/2020 at 8:03 PM, Oblivions said:

They’re legit but they’re an impersonal retailer with slow customer service. Stuff usually ships a week or more after you buy and each reply you get from customer service takes 4-5 days and it’s a different agent each time. It’s worth the slowness for the great deals they run every so often. Too late for this order but I’d never trust their estimated shipping times or guarantees and expect to get your records from them at their own pace.

I FINALLY got a response back yesterday, good news is that they are sending me a refund, but get this, the customer service rep said the record is a pre order and will be released in April 2021!!  Umm NO it's not! I reordered the exact variant from Zia and it was already delivered, in fact the release date was 12/11/2020, same day the order was placed!  My wife even received a " order being prepared for shipment " email. If getting records at their own pace means taking up until April to ship, I'll gladly pay the extra $5 or $7 somewhere else and not have to worry when it's going to arrive! I personally recommend staying away from Discovermusic, but do you!

Happy New Year everyone!

On 12/27/2020 at 9:07 PM, madotsukig1rl said:

got a copy of velocitydesigncomfort from darla records and it came packaged insanely well.

same with the flenser, everything ive gotten from them is top top top tier. my copy of lysf i got from there came packaged in this huge box with a ton of packing peanuts and bubble wrap, completely unscathed. quick responses too. just really love the flenser man

love Darla, ordered VDC when it was on preorder along with another in-print title and they shipped the available title out immediately even though i had only paid media mail for a single shipment. was quite a nice srurpise.

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?