Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

I just ordered the Prop re-issue S.E. from Fat & when I got it, the packaging was bent as was the LP cover. The Tab book was ok. I emailed'em & got a response within a timely manner. He requested a pic, I sent him the pic, he said cool, no problem, sorry for the mishap, we'll get you another one. Had the new one 3 days later in perfect condition. To me... This is perfect service! The record was a preorder & it shipped on the day of release. The mishap had nothing to do with Fat yet they came thru with their obligations perfectly. That's killer shit as far as I'm concerned. Y'know what I mean.

I just ordered the Prop re-issue S.E. from Fat & when I got it, the packaging was bent as was the LP cover. The Tab book was ok. I emailed'em & got a response within a timely manner. He requested a pic, I sent him the pic, he said cool, no problem, sorry for the mishap, we'll get you another one. Had the new one 3 days later in perfect condition. To me... This is perfect service! The record was a preorder & it shipped on the day of release. The mishap had nothing to do with Fat yet they came thru with their obligations perfectly. That's killer shit as far as I'm concerned. Y'know what I mean.

Same goes for Bridge 9. Ordered the Alpha and Omega release from Bestbuy and the jacket was beat to hell. I emailed B9 and they said no problem and are going to send it with my Iron Chic preorder. I didnt even buy the record directly from them and they are still sending a replacement. B9 rules!!!!

I'd be surprised if you had any issue with that Son Lux preorder, A Joyful Noise is a pretty solid label and I have yet to have any issues with them.  You shouldn't let a couple bad experiences ruin preorders for you completely, I would guess what happened is the exception and not the rule.

I think you might be right. They sent me a nice message saying my preorder was shipped and on it's way. Very rarely do I get those types of messages, that's all I really ask for.

Having a pretty lame experience with Dr. Strange Records right now.

Ordered a bunch of stuff from their 25% off sale a few weeks back. A few days later, I notice the amount they charged my card was about $10-15 less than the invoice they emailed me. So I write a one-line email asking if they could send my updated invoice, so I can see what actually shipped. No reply... I figure that's fine, I'll just see what's in there when it arrives. Only it doesn't arrive. And then my mom calls to tell me there's a box of records at her house in Massachusetts -- my card's billing address, even though I put my LA address as the ship-to. So now I get to pay again to have them shipped back to California (where they came from in the first place) and I still don't know what's actually in the box. DR STRANGE INDEED.

• 2 weeks later...

bought a copy of Emika's first LP on discogs which came warped as hell (even though the packaging and everything looked fine). emailed the people on discogs and they would only give me a partial refund so I took it. a couple weeks later a friend suggested contacting Ninja Tune, so I did and they sent me a brand new copy all the way from their headquarters in the uk after I sent them a video of the record not working. top notch customer service!

Deathwish has been the best to me, but they're the only distributor I had an issue with. It wasn't even their fault. I ordered the PBTT/TA split when it was up for preorder, and my copy came with a defect on the B-side. They replaced it, no questions asked and completely free of charge.

I've also ordered numerous records from;

No Sleep

Interpunk

RevHQ

Run For Cover Records

All of which have been solid. The only not-so solid distributor has been MerchNOW, and they don't actually do anything "wrong" except update my shipping status. It's always "Processed and awaiting shipment." Even months after I have received an item, it remains the same.

I've also ordered from Amazon and eBay. Experience varied depending on seller, but I never had a negative experience with any of them.

My only negative experience was with someone on VC. I sold a 7inch of "Came Out Swinging" to someone and USPS lost the package. Months later, it hasn't updated shipping info and hasn't been found. My post office was going to look into it and call me back, but never did. At this point, I assume someone stole it.

Ordered Albert Hammond Jr's AHJ EP last month from Cult Records - when I received it two weeks ago the lp was all bent up and cover had a split in it, due to the shitty package job. I sent Cult an email explaining what had happened, and they replied within a few hours saying they would send a replacement. Sent a replacement one week later, with a better package job and a bunch of free stickers/cds to make up for the whole situation. Definitly would reccommend/order from again!

When it comes to asianman, don't worry. They'll arrive, always.

They've never sent me any kind of tracking, but I've also never asked for it. I'm also sure, as a company that does things as bare bones as possible, unless you paid for tracking, they may not provide it.

Best label out there though, so have confidence in that

When it comes to asianman, don't worry. They'll arrive, always.

They've never sent me any kind of tracking, but I've also never asked for it. I'm also sure, as a company that does things as bare bones as possible, unless you paid for tracking, they may not provide it.

Best label out there though, so have confidence in that

All of this. 

And assuming it was shipped media mail, 10 days is a bit early to get super worried.

I've had a few transactions with SCR and most have gone on without a hitch however the Brand New -TDAGARIM fiasco has left a bad taste in my mouth. I preordered 9/11/13 under the impression I would be receiving a red pressing. Through posts I found out that they may not be able to fulfill all their orders in red and we would need to email them. Emailed them to confirm what I would be receiving took about a week to receive a reply mean while the record had shipping 3 days prior. Their reply was they would not be receiving any red and would only have clear. By the time they emailed me back there was no chance at finding a copy thru another distro. Not really what I wanted but I'd rather have clear then nothing. To top it off they released the red pressing as part of a Black Friday push. Just have a sleazy feeling after all is said and done.

Kingsroadmerch I had a great experience with. Preordered From Autumn to Ashes along with a few other albums. Received my order a few days after the release missing one album. It was on back order and they placed a reminder in their system 2 weeks later they fulfilled the missing album with a red pressing because they were unable to find a black pressing. Super impressed with how they handled themselves and would recommend to others.

I've had a few transactions with SCR and most have gone on without a hitch however the Brand New -TDAGARIM fiasco has left a bad taste in my mouth. I preordered 9/11/13 under the impression I would be receiving a red pressing. Through posts I found out that they may not be able to fulfill all their orders in red and we would need to email them. Emailed them to confirm what I would be receiving took about a week to receive a reply mean while the record had shipping 3 days prior. Their reply was they would not be receiving any red and would only have clear. By the time they emailed me back there was no chance at finding a copy thru another distro. Not really what I wanted but I'd rather have clear then nothing. To top it off they released the red pressing as part of a Black Friday push. Just have a sleazy feeling after all is said and done.

Kingsroadmerch I had a great experience with. Preordered From Autumn to Ashes along with a few other albums. Received my order a few days after the release missing one album. It was on back order and they placed a reminder in their system 2 weeks later they fulfilled the missing album with a red pressing because they were unable to find a black pressing. Super impressed with how they handled themselves and would recommend to others.

SCR never promised red copies FYI

SCR never promised red copies FYI

Aware, The original SRC item description for the record was for black and red. The fact a clear came out of nowhere was a little odd but it happens. I was more dissappointed with the lack of a email response until after the item had shipping and well after other distro's had sold out.

I ordered a big pile from Lauren Records - some Joyce Manor tapes, Glocca Morra 7", a random LP that looked interesting, fifty bucks total. That was over a month ago. I've emailed both addresses given to me, zero response. Anyone can comment on Lauren? I wanted to buy a couple additional AJJ tapes but I wanted to wait til my first order came in. It has gifts for other people in the order, I thought 2 months ahead of time was plenty but it looks like it won't be.

Alternatively, I got that BBNG2 from Innovative Leisure in perfect condition in like, 2 days.

Worst customer service ever was shop radio cast. I received a packaged with 6 vinyl with extremely bent corners and just damaged really bad. I was really upset and emailed them right away.

The email told me that is how they got them, and with vinyl there are no such thing as "non bent corners"

I laughed and sent this email out to as many people as I could. 

They told me to send them back and i could get a full refund. I sent them an email about 2 weeks after they received them. They said they had a lot of returns to go through (i wonder why) and that it would take them a bit and to be "patient"

So it came around to a month, and they said they were still going through with them. I had to call my card company and file a official complaint through them to see if they would get back my $150 I spent

After 2 days that i did this, i received my refund. Looks like you have to do this in order to get your money back from them. 

I will never order from them again. 

Best service i have had is hot topic, they always package them great to get to me correctly, and kings road. 

I ordered a big pile from Lauren Records - some Joyce Manor tapes, Glocca Morra 7", a random LP that looked interesting, fifty bucks total. That was over a month ago. I've emailed both addresses given to me, zero response. Anyone can comment on Lauren? I wanted to buy a couple additional AJJ tapes but I wanted to wait til my first order came in. It has gifts for other people in the order, I thought 2 months ahead of time was plenty but it looks like it won't be.

Alternatively, I got that BBNG2 from Innovative Leisure in perfect condition in like, 2 days.

Ordered the Joyce Manor cassette from there a while back and all went well, so maybe give it a little longer

i had a problem with Lauren, too. it took me over two months to get my order, and it was only after i sent several emails and pms on here. i think i had to contact them thru their storenvy to finally get a response.

Ordered the Joyce Manor cassette from there a while back and all went well, so maybe give it a little longer

i had a problem with Lauren, too. it took me over two months to get my order, and it was only after i sent several emails and pms on here. i think i had to contact them thru their storenvy to finally get a response.

I sent a second email (stating that it was my second email) detailing my order and when I could expect it. He immediately replied back saying he must have missed my first email, and that Glocca Morra 7" was released mid-November, and my random-LP-that-looked-interesting (Muhammad Ali S/T) is what's holding up the order because he ordered more from the original label and is waiting on them. He offered to replace the Muhammad Ali with something else.

I replied that I don't mind waiting as long as I know everything is coming, but if there's any way to know if my order will come before Christmas, as some of these items are presents, and if I made another order for AJJ tapes would they come in time as well. I acknowledged that it was probably crazy over at Lauren Records and I was sorry if I came off mean or stern (I'm pretty sure I did), and he mentioned that he had to shut down his store temporarily, I'm assuming because of the orders. He said 'if you want that ajj I can ship everything with it and just ship the lp when i get them', which sounds perfect. I asked how exactly he wanted me to order that, should I make another order, or what, and communication abruptly ended.

Still not quite sure what the outcome is, but he did respond to me, which is good because when both contact methods failed I kinda panicked. So it's not a bad experience, he's very accommodating, but the communication is pretty weird and choppy and leaves me biting my nails. Still just hoping that the bulk of the order comes before Christmas.

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?