mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister: 2nd press

AlexH.

So, apparently there are black copies of Brother Sister now: http://cgi.ebay.com/MEWITHOUTYOU-brother-Lp-Record-Vinyl-me-without-you_W0QQitemZ390126311570QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item5ad5571892#ht_1922wt_941

I just emailed BTV, but I can only assume it means there's a second pressing on black.

"yes, the new LPs are on black vinyl. 500 for now, possibly more. Not a limited edition.

scott"

• 1 year later...

TO PREFACE: I bought Brother, Sister last year. As with all of you I was unaware of the black repress. It wasn't posted anywhere on the website, I hadn't seen anyone talk about the black pressing, or seen any on eBay, so it must have just recently been pressed when I bought it.

So I bought it under the impression that it was white. When I opened it up I was surprised to find it was black, which I was miffed about (I usually prefer colour), but whatever. When I played it there was a skip on one side.

I emailed Scott, explaining the issue and asking to return the item. Scott insisted that he had no obligation to inform his customers the details of different pressings, or that there even are different pressings (like if what I'm buying isn't actually the original limited colour pressing, now it's an unlimited black repress). And that I should just live with the skip.

A heated discussion ensued... (to be fair, it was heated on both sides)

Weird, my copy on black was skipping, too. i got it from Barnes and Noble (i had a gift card from Christmas). i returned it and they sent me a new one, but without the lyrics sheet, haha. Turns out it was my roommate's turntable causing the skip; it plays fine on my table.

He should have dealt with the skipping issue, but I don't see a problem with not making pressing info public. If it didn't say it was white on the site, you shouldn't expect that you'll get white. I wish I was into music when colored vinyl was just a random fun thing, I can only imagine what a drag it is for labels nowadays when people get worked up about it.

Guys, I've found if you test the skipping parts with a higher and higher tracking force, eventually the needle will be heavy enough to not be shoved out of the groove by whatever is pushing it out. After multiple records with multiple skips each, I've only had one record with one skip that could not be resolved by doing this. All, I'm saying is give it a try. And you might just have to remember that when you want to play that certain record you gotta turn the force up to 3 1/2 or 4 grams or what have you.

That said, my black B,S has a pretty harsh scraping sound in the grooves in the first couple of tracks but luckily is only really audible during very quiet passages of which there aren't many in that part of record. Its cool though. I got it brand new for so cheap I can't really complain. Would still like to grab another copy of this though. Hoping they'll run off another batch since they claim its NOT limited.

He should have dealt with the skipping issue, but I don't see a problem with not making pressing info public. If it didn't say it was white on the site, you shouldn't expect that you'll get white. I wish I was into music when colored vinyl was just a random fun thing, I can only imagine what a drag it is for labels nowadays when people get worked up about it.

I don't mind if the info isn't public as long as they state as much.

Like the new EITS album, no one knows how many of what colour there is, but they said as much, so when I get it I have no expectations as to a particular pressing.

If the only known pressing was limited white, I bought it under the impression that I was getting that pressing.

If it was like "I'm making 1000 white, and then once those run out there will be another, unlimited pressing, but I won't tell you when white runs out" then fine. It's all about establishing expectations.

Weird, my copy on black was skipping, too. i got it from Barnes and Noble (i had a gift card from Christmas). i returned it and they sent me a new one, but without the lyrics sheet, haha. Turns out it was my roommate's turntable causing the skip; it plays fine on my table.

Apparently Barnes and Noble still has them on their website, for like, 15 bucks? You think this is still in stock there? I was looking at that this morning and didn't know if I should go thru with it.

Apparently Barnes and Noble still has them on their website, for like, 15 bucks? You think this is still in stock there? I was looking at that this morning and didn't know if I should go thru with it.

says 1-2 weeks though so that might be a special order

i got a white copy from mwY when they played with Brand New at the Myth in 2007. i think it was $10-12, possibly $15. it hasn't ever skipped that i'm aware of. you might want to try cleaning it like one person said, then try the extra weight. it's one of the better sounding white records i own, but i still despise white vinyl ;D too much surface noise most of the time.

I've heard that putting more weight on it helps a ton.

Changed my life, bro!

They had quite a few copies of this left when I saw them at the end of last summer but I think they sold out by the end of the night. I had just gotten one from ebay from some weird store that came as if from nowhere, listed the record for 10.98 BIN, and disappeared after I had received the record. Deus Ex Machina for SURE. I should have gotten an extra from the band too.