Oink.cd Shutdown

Definitely sucks. I mainly used oink for downloading rare out of print stuff and shit that is only available on vinyl so I could also have it on my computer, but still that was a lot of stuff.

yeah i hear that. i'd actually been avoiding it for a while until i had time to rip a bunch of stuff to get my ratio up. i'm glad i didn't waste hours doing that but man. first demonoid and now this. i'm one of the few people who downlaods stuff to hear and then purchase. obviously i can't buy everything, but i try and do support all my favourite artists. oh well.

Not to devolve this into a pro-/anti-illegal downloading issue, but in this day any age, virtually every single band streams their record in its entirety before its release date, and prior to that, it's easy to hear 4-6 songs on various websites. I just don't buy the "I download to sample it" argument.

And then when people counter with the whole "Well I'm sick of buying an album that has one good song and 11 shitty ones," I have to wonder what genre they're into. This isn't MTV-geared pop music; I'd like to think the bands we invest our time (and money!) put as much as they can into a record -- and if I can hear four songs from a band and dig on them, then I can't imagine not liking the other 6-8 songs on that record.

And really, where that last argument truly fails is, how many albums do you own that are 100%, track-for-track PERFECT? I can only think of a very small number.

Stop the excuses. Either buy a record if you like the music you (legally) sampled or move on.

man, im stuck in my ways. i use soulseek and havent bothered looking for any other ways to get stuff in years. But i can always find what im looking for.

I havent even heard of Oink.

Soulseek was cool back when all anybody had was dialup or if you just want a song at a time (unless its changed, I honestly haven't used it in years). However, nowadays, torrent sites are the way to go. I didn't discover them until earlier this year and even then only used punktorrents.com briefly, as I don't really download music, but torrents rule, because with the click of a mouse you can have a band's entire discography downloaded.

Not to devolve this into a pro-/anti-illegal downloading issue, but in this day any age, virtually every single band streams their record in its entirety before its release date, and prior to that, it's easy to hear 4-6 songs on various websites. I just don't buy the "I download to sample it" argument.

And then when people counter with the whole "Well I'm sick of buying an album that has one good song and 11 shitty ones," I have to wonder what genre they're into. This isn't MTV-geared pop music; I'd like to think the bands we invest our time (and money!) put as much as they can into a record -- and if I can hear four songs from a band and dig on them, then I can't imagine not liking the other 6-8 songs on that record.

And really, where that last argument truly fails is, how many albums do you own that are 100%, track-for-track PERFECT? I can only think of a very small number.

Stop the excuses. Either buy a record if you like the music you (legally) sampled or move on.

There's no real valid argument for downloading full albums.

My justification is that I buy so much music, I could careless if I download a few records here and there. Now that I mainly only buy vinyl, downloading is the most convenient and greatest sounding way to put my music on my iPod.

I 100% agree with the two arguments you brought up, to an extent. Band's streaming their music has been a great idea, I'm actually surprised it took so long for the majority to do so. However, I've never listened to an album stream. My primary source of listening to music is at my cubicle (I'm not clogging my network with junk) or my iPod while I'm out. If I'm at home, I generally listen to vinyl. I know I'm not the only one who rarely sits at their computer long enough for an entire album to play. However, one can certainly sample a handful of songs so downloading a record just to hear it is a shaky excuse.

The folks that use the latter argument of there's only a few good songs on an album are generally just copying the debate from someone else. I rarely hear that excuse within my circle of friends, but I occasionally see it on more popular web forums that I visit when the core group isn't made up of music nerds.

A lot of my friend's don't buy music and none of them really make excuses for it. They just do it. It bums me out that fans of independent music do purchase the music. Especially when I view it as an amazing hobby as well.

However, I am on the side of the fence that favors downloading music. The record industry needs to change, illegal/legal downloads will pave the future. There's no stopping website's like Oink. It's down today, but tomorrow there will two copycats, with 10 by the end of the week. They'll be bigger, better, and smarter (not hosted in the damn UK)! Shutting down a website that transfered 2TB of data and had roughly 130,000 will not solve the issue. It will only make it worse for the companies as those who wish to run these websites will learn from Oink's mistakes. Look at the Piratebay.org, still strong even after being raided and having their server's seized. Many sites will continue to mold themselves after the Piratebay.

I'm just going to rant off track more, I'll chime in later.

a lot of the albums that i downloaded i own but was just too lazy to upload the cd. do you think people who used it are gonna get busted?...cause thatd really suck

Isn't it faster to put the CD into your computer and press import and wait 5 seconds rather than downloading it? Unless you're talking vinyl, then I'm confused.

As for your other comment...

This is the first time a private invite website has been busted. Now a year or so ago I would have said that there's no way they would go after individual users. However, after that young lady was sued for having 24 songs on her computer nothing is impossible at this point.

What's really bad for Oink users is that it will be VERY easy to track down individual users. Since it's a login website all of the stats, ip addresses, etc. are logged. Not to mentioned, all of the users are tied together via invites.

Should be an interesting situation, pity for the folks who don't know how to protect themselves on the Internet via anonymous software.

I know you're joking, but since this is becoming a bigger issue for people...with a website like this formatting your harddrive will do almost nothing. Your IP Address was logged along with everything you've ever downloaded.

Hooray, the like 6 things I downloaded that isn't even on anyone's official radar.. And they are all off my computer anyways cause I hated them

It drives me absolutely crazy that people think they are just ENTITLED to having someone else's music for free. As with a lot of things in life, there are positives and negatives to downloading music - people who benefit and people who lose out.

No matter how you rationalize it, downloading is theft of someone else's intellectual property. Reading the comments on that news article made me sick.

People act like the only people hurt by this are Porsche-driving record execs with ponytails and $3000 a day coke-and-hooker habits. Nothing could be further from the truth - I would say the people that feel the sting the most are bands that are trying to recoup! Not to mention all the other 'little guys' out there. The big players hate downloading because it ruins their immaculate chokehold on the distribution of music - that's it. It fucks up their business scheme.

I have long said this - if you are going to download music, just have the balls to admit it, and quit trying to rationalize it and make it sound okay.

edit : and here comes the karma hit I took last time I talked about unlicensed downloading...

People act like the only people hurt by this are Porsche-driving record execs with ponytails and $3000 a day coke-and-hooker habits. Nothing could be further from the truth - I would say the people that feel the sting the most are bands that are trying to recoup! Not to mention all the other 'little guys' out there. The big players hate downloading because it ruins their immaculate chokehold on the distribution of music - that's it. It fucks up their business scheme.

I have long said this - if you are going to download music, just have the balls to admit it, and quit trying to rationalize it and make it sound okay.

edit : and here comes the karma hit I took last time I talked about unlicensed downloading...

but i would have never bothered to check out alot of these "little guys'" shows if i hadnt heard their music. I doubt im in the minority when i say that most of what i download, if it's good, i'll buy the album. I'll go to a show and get a t-shirt. Dont act like everyone who downloads is a theiif becuase that couldnt be further from the truth. Most of my music purchases over the last 2 years have been a direct result of downloading a good album.

The only people downloading hurts are the bands that put out shitty music. If your music is good, people will want to hear it. They might download it at first, but as long as its not devoid of all passion, these same downloaders will be at the show. Or buying the LP.

The problem with music today is that anyone can make an album. And most of it turns out to be absolute garbage.

That should not necessarily read as an indictment of others for downloading music.

edit, since I saw the reply :

but i would have never bothered to check out alot of these "little guys'" shows if i hadnt heard their music.

By "little guys" I wasn't only referring to bands. I was also referring to all the independent, non-conglomerate labels; people involved in the making of albums (studio owners, producers, engineers...); indie record store owners... those people get stung too. Or does nobody else remember when a certain someone was hit with massive returns from their distributor and almost 'lost the farm', so to speak?

I doubt im in the minority when i say that most of what i download, if it's good, i'll buy the album. I'll go to a show and get a t-shirt.

I bet you ARE in the minority. Lots of music gets indiscriminately passed through hard drives throughout the world; not everybody shares your listening habits or set of principles. Aside from that, with the number of downloaders increasing, the number of albums sales dropping, and the number of ticket sales falling (on the whole), I'd say the numbers tell a different story.

Dont act like everyone who downloads is a theiif becuase that couldnt be further from the truth.

Tort law says otherwise.

Most of my music purchases over the last 2 years have been a direct result of downloading a good album.

I'm glad to hear this, but I do think you are in the minority. Also, what's wrong with the myriad other ways you can check out bands, like those Scott Heisel suggested, that don't involve committing a tortious act?

The only people downloading hurts are the bands that put out shitty music. If your music is good, people will want to hear it. They might download it at first, but as long as its not devoid of all passion, these same downloaders will be at the show. Or buying the LP.

On your first point? Not even close. I thought I addressed that. The second part I covered.

The problem with music today is that anyone can make an album. And most of it turns out to be absolute garbage.

I'm gonna give you a +1 for that.