Official Record Stores List (help us list them)

NW Ohio = Finder's Records in Bowling Green. Rama Lama & Culture Clash in Toledo

NE Ohio = My Mind's Eye on the West Side of Cleveland. It's home of 9 Shocks Terror and Nunslaughter!

it's in my post earlier in the thread, but Hodad's is right up the street from my mind's eye and probably the best vintage vinyl store in the cleveland area.

mme is great, too. charles knows exactly what he's doing. i've been shopping there since he opened in '97 or '98

• 2 weeks later...

Ann Arbor, Michigan

No one's got Ann Arbor yet, and there are four great shops in town, three of them within a 2-3 block radius of each other:

Encore Recordings

417 East Liberty St.

(734)-662-6776

www.encorerecordings.com

-This is a classic, classic shop in town. They have a huge vinyl selection, as well as a ton of CDs, DVDs, and books. Terrific rock, jazz, and classical section, plus a highly knowledgeable staff. Ann Arbor's best, this is how I started collecting records. (They almost closed down recently, but they saved it...whew!) Great prices.

Wazoo Records

336 1/2 South State St.

(734)-761-8686

-Another classic shop. Schoolkids, Discount and Tower Records were gone before my time, so Encore and Wazoo are the equivalent of Amoeba and Rasputin in this town. You have to walk up a long flight of stairs to reach Wazoo, and it is easy to miss. Much smaller selection than Encore, yet they have a lot of new vinyl, good Beatles selection, and anything can be ordered. Staff is great, too-especially this dude with an epic mustache named Forrest. Get into a conversation with this guy about music. Also, the best pub in the world, Ashley's, is right below. Not too prohibitive.

Underground Sounds

255 East Liberty St. #249

(734)-327-9239

-This is the newcomer to Ann Arbor's league of shops. One thing you must remember is that as far as used stuff goes, always go to Encore first, then Wazoo, then P.J.'s. As far as new vinyl and brand new releases go, Underground Sounds is unchallenged. You will always find the latest Radiohead or Wilco album on vinyl here, for example, and the staff will order very obscure stuff. All depends on what you want. If you're a classic rock, jazz, or classical fan, the other three record stores is where you'll find yourself. If you are mostly obsessed with music from the last 20 years and forward, Underground Sounds is amazing. I like it all, so I do shopping sprees at all four. Underground Sounds can be very expensive as well, so watch out.

P.J.'s Records and Used CD's

617 Packard St. Ste B

(734)-663-3441

This is the secret record store in Ann Arbor, seeing as it is in a weird location, up the stairs of a crumbly old building, and a decent walk from the other record stores. It's run by two very enthusiastic hippie dudes, one of which I'm friends with. What you want to go there for is vinyl, especially classic rock and jazz, as they carry good-quality records, even a box of audiophile vinyl (you can score an occasional Mobile Fidelity pressing in there). As far as music talk goes, these guys don't let up, and it will seem overwhelming at first, but they are really nice guys. This is perhaps the weirdest record shop in town, but I like it. Ranges from being cheap to pretty expensive.

Ft. Worth, TX:

Doc's Records & Vintage

Place page

2111 Montgomery St

Fort Worth, TX 76107

(817) 732-5455

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this was probably the best record store in North Texas. I walked out with about 200 dollars worth of stuff. Some of it can get a little pricey, though most of it is fairly reasonable in the 8-15 bucks range. Huge selection, and fairly well organized. Not a lot of new vinyl - mostly used. Has some turntables, t-shirts, and cds as well as other things. I'd recommend it.

Denton, TX:

Recycled Books

200 North Locust Street

Denton, TX 76201

(940) 566-5688

Had a decent selection of vinyl there. A lot of older stuff, though I did score some new records there for a pretty reasonable price.

California:

Just Play Music

619 State Street,

Santa Barbara, CA 93101-3301

(805) 963-8677 ‎

The only place I did not go back to in SBA. Had a decent selection of stuff, though I'd say it was fairly overpriced compared to all the other places I went (Salzer's and Grady's Record Refuge -- both which are pretty decent). The inside looked like a Hot Topic. Took me a while to find parking as it was right on State Street. I don't know if I can recommend.

Warbler Records

131 E De La Guerra St

Santa Barbara, CA 93101

[email protected]

Found several long out of print LP's there. Beck's Mellow Gold, Nick Cave's Murder Ballads, and several others. Had a pretty good selection of stuff, though he did mention he had just opened. Has a good selection of turntables from what I remember. Went there, in November last year?

Buffalo Records

92 S. Laurel Street

Ventura, CA 93001-2721

(805) 648-3345

Found some pretty good stuff here too (Lush's final album on clear wax, several others), kind of out of the way, and the place does have a fair share of run of the mill stuff, but there were some pretty good records in there. I think this was somewhere else, but as of last November, it's still there.

Oklahoma City:

Since you've included the 2 Guestrooms and Size Records already...

Charlie's Jazz, Rhythm & Blues

5114 Classen Cir

Oklahoma City, OK 73118-4417

(405) 843-6902

Mostly what it says. They have some rock records there. Also some stereo equipment, if you're into that stuff.

Alley Records:

918 1/2 W. Britton Road

Oklahoma City, OK 73114

A record store in the back alley of an art gallery. Keeps weird hours, only open Tues-Fri 11-6. I think he makes appointments though. I've found some decent stuff there fairly cheap, and some not so decent stuff there for a fairly expensive price. This guy just opened up this year.

Supposedly, there's some more places opening up in OKC.

Anyone have any recommended places for Seattle? Going there in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Toledo, OH

Culture Clash

4020 Secor Rd.

Toledo, OH 43623

RamaLama

3151 West Central Avenue

Toledo, OH 43606

Allied Record Exchange

1710 South Reynolds Road

Toledo, OH 43614

Culture Clash has more Indie and Alternative. Pat and Shane are awesome guys. Will help you find anything. They are now an authorized dealer of Pro-Ject. They also sell some used Turntables.

RamaLama has a better selection for Metal and Hard Rock. Vinyl is upstairs. Talk to Rob about classic Rock and Talk to Nick about 90's and Metal.

Allied has a couple stores around Toledo, but the one on Reynolds is the biggest and has the best selection on used Vinyl. Don't really talk to anyone there. They also sell used equipment, so every once in awhile you can find some cool speakers or turntables that people trade in.

• 2 weeks later...

Lexington, KY

CD Central:

Not a huge selection, but a good one. They have a decent amount of metal (though not overwhelming by any means) and indie. Mostly CDs, but I find something every time I walk through the door. God mix of both new and used records, with a decent selection in just about every genre (though very little classical).

The Album:

Very small. They specialize in R&B/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop. I wouldn't expect to find much here.

Pops Resale:

The first time I walked in this store I was overwhelmed. They have LOTS of used records (very few new). Though I quickly became disheartened at 1) the utter lack of organization and/or genre separation, 2) their utter lack of screening any of the records as they come in for vinyl quality (you're as likely to find a record that's virtually unplayable as anything else), 3) the fact that I have to flip through 14 records by The Brady Bunch or Donnie Osmond because they just can't seem to get to the point where too much of a bad thing is bad.

Knoxville, TN

Disc Exchange:

Good selection of new, not as much used. Lots of Indie stuff, decent metal selection.

Lenoir, NC

Repo Depot:

This was a great little shop. Not a huge selection, but a pretty good one, especially classic rock and pop through the late 80s. Decent prices and their vinyl is generally in VG or better shape. The hippie dude who owns it is cool to talk to as well.

Knoxville,TN:

Lost and found records 3714 walker blvd

Good stuff all around and easily my favorite of the three

Raven records and rarities 5710 kingston pike

Lots of cool stuff aside from just the records.they are also opening an alterior location just for the "edgy" stuff

Disc exchange 2615 chapman hwy

Lots of sealed overpriced crap and some gems in the used sections

Never been here Thanks! Going to Oklahoma in November as well, I'll definitely check these stores out when I get to the city.

If you're going to Oklahoma, definitely check out Guestroom Records and Size Records (they are already posted on this forum, I believe). There's a Guestroom in OKC and one in Norman.

Also-

Mad World Records

115 W Hickory

Denton, TX 76201

(940) 591-3001

This must be really new, because I was in Denton in February and didn't see it. Recycled is pretty awesome, not a lot of new vinyl. Tons of books. Mad World Records is apparently carrying newer titles. I haven't checked it out yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
someone should start a google map for these. and get it in the first posting.

like this one:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203628532836940264153.0004a9f12ed19cbc46b9d&msa=0

Very nice. Wwwell done.

I built a google places page for my small shop but don't have one for all the record stores in the entire region, but you've given me inspiration. Great idea.

There are a few dealers down here I'd never list, however.

I could not in good conscience send anyone to them because

they're hosebags, but that aside there are many excellent shops

in our region and that "google places" idea for all the record

shops in a region is tres bon. Good form.

Thanks for the link.

I tried searching google "places" within google maps (using the entire USA in a generic search) for Vinyl Record Store and

google pinpoints stores throughout the USA.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Richmond

Deep Groove

Steady Sounds

Plan 9

Vinyl Conflict

Plan 9 Music

3012 West Cary Street, Richmond, VA

(804) 353-9996 ‎ · plan9music.com

Vinyl Conflict Record Store

324 South Pine Street, Richmond, VA

(804) 644-2555 ‎ · vinylconflict.com

Deep Groove Records

317 North Robinson Street, Richmond, VA

(804) 278-9112 ‎ · deepgroovevinyl.com

Steady Sounds Record Store

322 West Broad Street, Richmond, VA

(804) 308-2692 ‎ · facebook.com

Columbus, Ohio

Magnolia Thunderpussy

1155 N High St

Columbus, OH 43201

Neighborhood: Short North

- Pretty good selection, especially of death metal and thrash. And a huge new section.

Used Kids Records

1980 N High St

Columbus, OH 43201

Neighborhood: University District

- Used Kids is the spot in Columbus. HUGE used selection, and a new section comparable to magnolia. Tons of really cheap cd's and dvd's as well. And they are super nice and fair with trade ins.

There's also a couple other small, specialty shops. Dreadful sounds is all Metal/thrash/etc. and Lost Weekend has a good local/indie selection.

Never been here Thanks! Going to Oklahoma in November as well, I'll definitely check these stores out when I get to the city.

If you're going to Oklahoma, definitely check out Guestroom Records and Size Records (they are already posted on this forum, I believe). There's a Guestroom in OKC and one in Norman.

Also-

Mad World Records

115 W Hickory

Denton, TX 76201

(940) 591-3001

This must be really new, because I was in Denton in February and didn't see it. Recycled is pretty awesome, not a lot of new vinyl. Tons of books. Mad World Records is apparently carrying newer titles. I haven't checked it out yet.

Went to Size Records and picked up some great stuff. The owner was incredibly nice and he has one of the best punk/hardcore sections I've seen. Plus grade A root beer. Definitely one of my favorite record spots now.

Thanks for the tip!

New York, NY

I'd be happy to do more scouting if people want more details. I'm still new-ish to the vinyl thing, so it's possible there are things I'm missing, or that my descriptions aren't that great for your specific needs. Here are my impressions for what it's worth:

Other Music - lots of Indie Rock stuff, fairly small used section, good CD selection too

http://www.othermusic.com/

Bleecker Street Records - In my opinion, the best record store in NYC. They've got a huge selection of both new & used vinyl, and if you were to go to one store, this is a great one-stop-shop. From what I can remember, not a ton of niche product, but great store nonetheless

http://www.bleeckerstreetrecords.com/store/bleecker.html

Bleecker Bob's - huge selection of vintage and used vinyl, probably your best bet for used stuff

http://www.myspace.com/bleeckerbobs

J&R - part of the 1-block-long J&R Electronics behemoth, but it's a great place for new "mainstream" vinyl

http://www.generationrecords.com/

Generation Records - great selection of punk & metal stuff. I've only been in there a few times, but it's a cool store

http://www.generationrecords.com/

i'm going to be in new york in december/january for the first time. i'm definitely going to check out some of the stores mentioned above. anyone got any more tips though? looking mostly for hardcore, (garage) punk, indie, (neo-)60s and power pop.

thanks

@admins: if this is watering down the thread, please move the post or delete it and i'll open a new thread.

Went to Size Records and picked up some great stuff. The owner was incredibly nice and he has one of the best punk/hardcore sections I've seen. Plus grade A root beer. Definitely one of my favorite record spots now.

Thanks for the tip!

Size Records is pretty great. The guy there, Jim (long hair, beard, glasses maybe) knows almost everything about music. Not to mention he told me a great story about a crackhead landlord when he used to run Music Dimensions. He's pretty cool.

There are also a few new record stores in OKC.

Guestroom opened it's 3rd location in Bricktown, on the Canal.

Address is 25 S. Oklahoma Avenue Ste 1, I believe. In Oklahoma City (Bricktown is the entertainment district). It's a much smaller store.

There is also Trolley Stop Record Shop on 18th & N. Classen. It's across from a Braums. Ton of records, really disorganized, but if you dig enough you'll find something kind of cool. Also mostly used stuff. Just opened.

Alley Records is sort of across from Size. On Britton Road, on the other side of Western... in the Back Alley. Keeps some weird hours. Sometimes there are a few good things there. Mostly used stuff.

There is also a place called Tubby's Tune Town. On 4001 N. Penn Avenue, in OKC. I went in there once... ton of used stuff, nothing too great. One of the few times I've been to a record store and walked out empty handed.

I should also mention, I hit up Mad World Records in Denton. It looks like it'll be a cool store. A ton of CDs, some vinyl (but not a ton- Recycled Books still has more), but hopefully they'll get there. And Doc's Records & Vintage in Ft. Worth is moving to Camp Bowie Blvd, not sure of the location.

Also-

Anyone know about Rewound Sounds in Wichita? As in, is it still there? Or any other record stores in Wichita? I believe there is a place called "Play It Again Sounds" or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about posting my little local record store on here for a while so here goes.

Terrapin Station

920 South 12th St.

Murray, KY

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4724232763

Not the best record store ever, but every once in a while they'll have something i'm looking to pick up.

so i have been in chicago for three months, well lombard (hotel) and lemont (site). havent truly been to chicago itself yet lol (it is what happens with 20 day 14hr/day hitches).

plan on going next week to some christkindlmarket thingy for a day before i fly out this time. any suggestions on record stores i can go to that day. i will be by myself so trying to navigate the city and get around may be tough once i plant myself for a few hours at the market place. could always take a taxi though.

• 2 weeks later...

Kitchener/Waterloo Ontario

ENCORE RECORDS

54 Queen Street South

Kitchener, Ontario

Canada

Pretty decent new selection, lots of indie stuff, decent amount of metal LP's and an ok punk selection. There's a bunch of used stuff scattered around the store that you can usually find something decent in.

Orange Monkey

5 Princess street west

Waterloo, Ontario

Canada

This place is incredible. Tons of new and used stuff for how small the shop is. Great prices and awesome staff. Only issue is the guys who own the place don't really care for keeping regular hours. There are hours on the door but any given day you could show up during those times and it could be closed.

• 3 weeks later...

Fantasy Records is in Atlanta, GA; lots of fun, huge selection of used, all genres.

Jim Russell's on Magazine Street, New Orleans - get there soon, tens of thousands of used LPs, all genres, great jazz selections, often multiple copies.

Sundance Records, San Marcos, TX - haven't been there, but a college buddy owns it now. It's gotta' be worth a visit knowing Greg.