Official Record Stores List (help us list them)

In the Detroit area, some small, but worthwhile stops:

Street Corner Records - Oak Park - Specializes in used Jazz/R&B, but they have a other nice things as well, decent used cd selection as well, overall cheap prices, some new vinyl, seems like they're carrying more of late.

Hello Records - Detroit (Corktown) 

Weirdsville - Mt. Clemens - Small, in the back of a used bookstore, almost exclusively used albums, not the greatest selection, but I've always found some things when digging there.  

i searched for boston and cambridge in this thread and im shocked nothing came up. weve got:

boston:

in your ear on comm ave

deep thoughts on south st (brand new in jamaica plain)

cambridge:

weirdo records in central sq

armageddon, in your ear, and planet records in harvard

somerville:

somerville grooves in union sq

thats all that comes to mind right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Columbus

Lost Weekend

A perfect example of how Columbus has quickly become a hot bed for vinyl (there's about 14-15 stores in Cbus now all right on High St.)  One man band who takes a ton of pride in his inventory and works it.  Good smattering of new and used with reasonable pricing.  Also has his own label of which I picked up their 3 7"s.  Honestly I was in such a hurry to hit so many stores and I enjoyed the owner so much that I ended up probably spending more time bullshitting with him than diving for gems.  One of the nicest and most engaging record store owners I've ever met.  Bar none.

Spoonful Records

Another good local shop specializing more in new vinyl.  His prices are a dollar or two more than LW but that makes sense given his location is right near center city.  I didn't get the owners name as I felt a little guilty for not finding anything I wanted to buy, but he was a really good dude as well.  I'll stop in there again

Used Kids Records

Another big huge used record store most similar of all the above stores to Jerry's but the bands/titles aren't near as obscure.  They also have a significant section of new.  Has 15-20 linear feet of new arrivals that could be new or used.  Picked up a couple of rare Beatles records and a copy of Sonic Youth 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.'  Nice find.  Of all the people I spoke to, I probably spoke with Gary at Used Kids the longest.  He shared a great story with me about how they bought a trailer full of vinyl recently and once they started going through the receipts that were in the piles of inventory they discovered that the whole truckload was from a former customer/hoarder who had defaulted on the truck storage. 

NOTE- Every single owner said this year's RSD was great and that it was better than last year's which was everyone's previous best.  Seems to just keep getting bigger.

Columbus is great.  In the Clintonville neighborhood, Lost Weekend is my favorite, but people should also check out Dreadful Sounds (specializing in punk/hardcore/metal) and Records Per Minute (great new-ish shop on High Street).

• 3 weeks later...

what are the best stores in Cleveland?

Columbus

Lost Weekend

A perfect example of how Columbus has quickly become a hot bed for vinyl (there's about 14-15 stores in Cbus now all right on High St.)  One man band who takes a ton of pride in his inventory and works it.  Good smattering of new and used with reasonable pricing.  Also has his own label of which I picked up their 3 7"s.  Honestly I was in such a hurry to hit so many stores and I enjoyed the owner so much that I ended up probably spending more time bullshitting with him than diving for gems.  One of the nicest and most engaging record store owners I've ever met.  Bar none.

Spoonful Records

Another good local shop specializing more in new vinyl.  His prices are a dollar or two more than LW but that makes sense given his location is right near center city.  I didn't get the owners name as I felt a little guilty for not finding anything I wanted to buy, but he was a really good dude as well.  I'll stop in there again

Used Kids Records

Another big huge used record store most similar of all the above stores to Jerry's but the bands/titles aren't near as obscure.  They also have a significant section of new.  Has 15-20 linear feet of new arrivals that could be new or used.  Picked up a couple of rare Beatles records and a copy of Sonic Youth 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.'  Nice find.  Of all the people I spoke to, I probably spoke with Gary at Used Kids the longest.  He shared a great story with me about how they bought a trailer full of vinyl recently and once they started going through the receipts that were in the piles of inventory they discovered that the whole truckload was from a former customer/hoarder who had defaulted on the truck storage. 

NOTE- Every single owner said this year's RSD was great and that it was better than last year's which was everyone's previous best.  Seems to just keep getting bigger.

Columbus is great.  In the Clintonville neighborhood, Lost Weekend is my favorite, but people should also check out Dreadful Sounds (specializing in punk/hardcore/metal) and Records Per Minute (great new-ish shop on High Street).

thanks for this, will be going to Columbus in the next couple weeks, which columbus store has the best selection in hip hop LPs?

• 2 weeks later...

Our local record store!    HUGE, tons of awesome vinyl - A WHOLE VINYL LOFT UPSTAIRS FILLED WITH THOUSANDS OF RECORDS!   Established 1971 it is our towns oldest indie record store.   Still family owned!    

Cheap Thrills Records

563 Higuera St

San Luis Obispo CA 93401

(805) 544-0686

www.CheapThrills.biz

www.facebook.com/CheapThrillsSLO

www.twitter.com/CheapThrillsSLO

[email protected]

943234_10151543297304130_983793968_n.jpg           550637_10150884537489130_677816231_n.jpg

TRAVELLING AND WANT TO KNOW WHAT RECORD STORES ARE IN YOUR AREA?

Send us a message request and provide town name and zip code - and we'll respond with any Record Store customers we have in that area!

[email protected]  - selling to indie music stores all over the country since 1971!

Hey is docs records in the dfw any good?

Depending on what you are looking for, yeah it's a good shop.  It has a huge country section, as I'm sure you can imagine with it being not only in Texas, but in Cowtown. I found the rock selection to be excellent, and I know the reggae section is decent. As with the majority of DFW stores, the hip-hop section is pretty sad.  They had a better selection of new/ used new release records than alot of places when I was last there (April, I think?).  Give yourself some time, they have alot to go through.  Guys behind the counter are nice and helpful. They also have a bunch of random collectibles/oddities/music paraphernalia which is fun to browse.  They have lots of used players sitting around too, most of which are for sale.

Are you looking for an album/artist/genre in particular? 

Edit: TL;DR  Yes

Depending on what you are looking for, yeah it's a good shop.  It has a huge country section, as I'm sure you can imagine with it being not only in Texas, but in Cowtown. I found the rock selection to be excellent, and I know the reggae section is decent. As with the majority of DFW stores, the hip-hop section is pretty sad.  They had a better selection of new/ used new release records than alot of places when I was last there (April, I think?).  Give yourself some time, they have alot to go through.  Guys behind the counter are nice and helpful. They also have a bunch of random collectibles/oddities/music paraphernalia which is fun to browse.  They have lots of used players sitting around too, most of which are for sale.

Are you looking for an album/artist/genre in particular? 

Edit: TL;DR  Yes

Yes an no I have a list of what I want in my head which can be obscure at time, but I like so much that I can't never come out empty handed. The only really specific thing is deluxe editions, I can go to Forever Young and come out with six different special editions because the place is filled with stock that just gets over looked, which I like.  

Yes an no I have a list of what I want in my head which can be obscure at time, but I like so much that I can't never come out empty handed. The only really specific thing is deluxe editions, I can go to Forever Young and come out with six different special editions because the place is filled with stock that just gets over looked, which I like.  

I definitely saw some deluxe editions/color vinyl, etc. when I was there.

On another note, judging by your username I'm assuming you like Joy Division?  If so, and you don't mind driving to Carrollton, you really need to go check out Dead Wax Records.  They are a very small store, but the two guys who run it are awesome, and they actually specialize in darkwave stuff like Joy Div and New Order and more.  That's not to say they don't have a great selection of other genres, but they have a better darkwave/ 80's synth selection than just about anywhere I've seen.  Look them up on facebook.  I love that place.

I definitely saw some deluxe editions/color vinyl, etc. when I was there.

On another note, judging by your username I'm assuming you like Joy Division?  If so, and you don't mind driving to Carrollton, you really need to go check out Dead Wax Records.  They are a very small store, but the two guys who run it are awesome, and they actually specialize in darkwave stuff like Joy Div and New Order and more.  That's not to say they don't have a great selection of other genres, but they have a better darkwave/ 80's synth selection than just about anywhere I've seen.  Look them up on facebook.  I love that place.

I will I want to get original pressings and some boots so I'll check them out. 

New record store in Frisco, Texas!

ZT Records

8980 Preston Road, Frisco, Texas 75034(972) 821-9982

https://www.facebook.com/ztrecords

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cbd/3887702782.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dead Wax Records in Carrollton, Texas.

https://www.facebook.com/deadwaxdallas