Official Record Stores List (help us list them)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few I can vouch for that have not been mentioned yet:

Fingerprints (decent vinyl selection, lots of used CDs, great independent store)

4612 E 2nd St, Long Beach CA

www.fingerprintsmusic.com

Stinkweeds (just ok, but I've found some good used vinyl here before)

12 W Camelback Rd, Phoenix AZ

www.stinkweeds.com

Antiquarium (lots of good used vinyl, slightly disorganized if you enjoy digging)

417 S 13th St, Omaha NE

www.s-srecords.com

Dr Strange (good people here, they usually have a bunch of rare punk vinyl)

7136 Amethyst, Rancho Cucamonga CA

www.drstrange.com

Cheapo (tons of vinyl)

914 N Lamar, Austin TX

www.cheapotexas.com

End of an Ear (best record store in Austin in my opinion)

2209 S 1st St, Austin TX

www.endofanear.com

These have been mentioned already and are worth visiting:

Love Garden (plenty of vinyl & CD's, nice store, resident cats wander the aisles)

822 Massachusetts St, Lawrence KS

www.lovegardensounds.com

Vinyl Solution (95% vinyl, lots and lots of punk)

18822 Beach Blvd, Huntington Beach CA

www.myspace.com/vinylolution

Waterloo (ok vinyl selection, worth checking out)

600 N Lamar, Austin TX

www.waterloorecords.com

Milwaukee

Rush Mor Records - http://www.rushmor.com/

Madison

B Side - http://www.b-sidemadison.com/

Ear Wax - http://www.earwaxwisconsin.com/

And there's a bunch of shops called Exclusive Company all over the state and they're all pretty nice.

Just to put it out there- Rush Mor is bootleg central- Lots of fun mispelled live Smiths albums and the like, and all of those OPIVY/Rancid boots that have been popping up. There isn't a ton of vinyl- but it's almost exclusively punk/hardcore. Also a great resource if you find yourself trying to track down obscure milwaukee releases.

Also Milwaukee:

Bullseye Records

1627 E. Irving Pl.

Milwaukee, WI 53202

(414) 223-3177

Hours:

Tue-Fri 12 p.m. - 7 p.m.

Sat 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Sun 12 p.m. - 3 p.m.

Whats Bullseye like? I always think of making the trip up to Milwaukee to check out the few stores I've found, but haven't yet. Chicago is just too much of a hassle to get down to sometimes.

^Because nobody wants to see a miniscule tax increase to make mass transportation happen.

To your question though; Its nice, the shop is relatively small, but its vinyl only and they have a decent selection of punk/ hardcore and of course rock/ blues. And I know they've been participating in RSD.

Plus the rest of the shops in the Farwell St. area are cool.

Downtown Books (downtown Milwaukee) has also a record section that's hit or miss (3rd floor), but you'll probably leave with a book so the time wouldn't be wasted.

• 4 weeks later...

Daytona Beach, Florida

Atlantic Sounds

I have been going to this place since forever, great selection, everywhere from hippie stoner peace music to tech death metal. Huge used section, TONS of new stuff, and a lot of cds too! That place has been there for almost 30 years! If you don't find what you're looking for, they will order it for you from the label with out chargin you for shipping!

HOUSTON

Black Dog Records

3816 S Shepherd Dr

Houston, TX 77098-4228

(713) 522-6001

very clean, organized, simple shop but great for classic rock finds.

ANDDDDDDDDD

Sig's Lagoon!!!!

3710 Main Street

Houston, TX 77002

http://www.sigslagoon.com/

this place effing owns... and it's right down the street from me! My favorite record store in town simply for the feel and decor...if you're already in Houston it's centrally located and on the METRO rail line so it's definitely worth checking out! tons of alternative books, prints, and a whole upper floor just full of old records. the bar next door is pretty lowkey and funky with local jazz and blues type acts. anyway, I've only been a couple times and was really impressed so figured it was worth sharing :)

Eyeconik Records and Apparel

We offer a huge eclectic selection of vinyl LPs and 45's everything from CLASSICAL and BIG BAND to JAZZ and BLUES. We strive to have a good collection of BRAND NEW SEALED vinyl.

We specialize in PUNK and METAL vinyl and offer some of the best 90's punk 45s in the area.

We display a beautiful wall of rare and exclusive PICTURE DISCS from Bruce Springsteen to Marilyn Manson.

We also carry THOUSANDS of 45s of every genre specializing in NORTHERN SOUL, FUNK, and SOUL.

We have LIVE IN-STORE performances for local artists or anyone who wants to play our store.

Check out our HUNDREDS of HIP-HOP full lengths and HIP-HOP and DANCE 12' singles.

While you're here, check out our selection of BAND TEES and HOODIES starting as low as $5.00.

If you are in or around the North Jersey area this will truly be your one stop shop for all your music and apparel needs.

Find us on Facebook or check out our youtube channel of our In-Stores

Eyeconik Records and Apparell

116c rt 23 N

Franklin NJ 07416

SUN-1-6

Mon-3-8

Tues-3-8

Wen-CLOSED

THURS-3-8

FRI-3-8

SAT-1-8

myspace.com/eyeconikrecords

South Florida (need help with Miami stores)

Confusion Records- huge warning on this place. dude doesnt have anything priced. he just makes up random numbers, and jacks newer record prices way up

848 Park Avenue

Lake Park, FL 33403

Sounds Good Music- great store. there are some great finds to be had here

1026 Southeast Port Saint Lucie Boulevard

Port St Lucie, FL 34952

Radioactive Records- awesome store. good guys working there. decent finds every now and then

1930 East Sunrise Boulevard

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304

Backbone Music- small selection, but some fairly scarce records here and there

61 Southeast 4th Avenue

Delray Beach, FL 33483

Not doubting, but what have you found at Sounds Good? I live here and occasionally i pop in and its mostly overprice "moderately current" stuff and the 7"s all seem to be from the late 70's-early 90"s. I'ver never looked thoroughly so im hoping im missing something!

Some I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Michigan

Vertigo Records

129 Division Avenue South

Grand Rapids, MI

www.vertigomusiconline.com

Sound it Out Records

418 S Union Street

Traverse City, MI

www.sounditoutrecords.com

(full disclosure: I own this shop. We've been around for 3 years and carry new & used CDs and LPs. Mostly indie & punk stuff on CD and new LP)

Hey everybody... I'm new to the site, but have had my shop in Colo Spgs for almost 7 years... Me and Virgil go way back to my day at "Toons," another cool, but long deceased, record store... Anywho... Mention this post and save 25% off your first purchase!

"The Leechpit... is the hippest record store in Colorado."

-SoundOpinions.org, show #101

WE BUY RECORDS, VINTAGE CLOTHING, CONCERT SHIRTS, COLLECTIBLES, FOLK ART AND MORE!!!

With over 6 years of AWARD WINNING service, The Leechpit is Colorado's most trusted source to buy, sell, or trade your vintage pop culture collectibles.

We specialize in vintage clothing, records and tapes, collectibles, memorabilia, video games, toys, defaced or altered coins, hobo nickels, folk art, pop art, outsider art (like all of your weird uncles old drawings), or any other interesting objects from roughly the 1940's through 90's

We cover any and all major pop culture movements including all the various incarnations of blues, rock'n'roll, punk, garage, metal, goth/industrial, folk, psychedelic, prog, hip-hop, reggae, jazz, soul, and funk, but whatever you've got, give us call, the advice and verbal appraisals are FREE!

Voted "Best" by the Gazette, The CS Independent, and Denver's Westword!

THE LEECHPIT

708 N Weber St.

Colo. Spgs. CO

719-634-DORK

http://leechpit.com

Mention this post and save 25% off your first purchase!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna be in Chicago from this Wednesday until next Monday. I've heard nothing but good things about Reckless, but which of those other ones are the best? I haven't got time to visit them all. :(

check out permanent (not far from reckless on milwaukee),

Dave's if you have time, but it's isolated.

Lauries Planet of Sound and the Chicago Independent store are both off Western Ave. ..but about 23 blocks apart

Lauries and Dead Wax are both on Lincoln Ave, but about 10 blocks from each other. Dead Wax is spotty, but sometimes they have a lot of things.

if you're at Lauries, you're about 15 blocks from Shake Rattle and Read.

Check our all three Reckless locations - all are quite different and have very good selections of used vinyl for fair prices. You will definitely come out with plenty of great vinyl.

I agree, also check our Permanent. Personally, I feel like the rest are hit-or-miss.

[image]

Marc Ruvolo from No Empathy/Das Kapital/Traitors, etc/Johann's Face Records

is opening his record store today...

Bucket O' Blood Books and Records!!!!

2307 N. Milwaukee Ave.

(Milwaukee and California/Fullerton-just off the California Blue line station)

[image]

Bucket O' Blood Books and Records is the new store that I'm opening in Logan Square. It's located on Milwaukee Ave. right at California St. and a block from the California Blue Line stop.

We'll be celebrating at the store all weekend with free booze, BBQ, and live acoustic performances and readings. Authors reading their work will hopefully be a regular event at BOB....

The store will feature used Science Fiction, Speculative Fiction, Fantasy and Horror books in addition to a bunch that don't fit in those categories in the just plain AWESOME section: Historical Fiction, True Crime, Literary Fiction, Graphic Novels, Pop Science, Etc.

In addition we'll have a bunch of NEW and USED vinyl LP's and 7"s,

and collectibles (shirts, DVD's magazines) from my prodigious collection.

The first twenty or so folks to buy something in the $5 plus range gets a free Bucket O' Blood T-shirt, too.

On Friday, June 4th we''l be having a free performance by THE RUTABEGA (www.myspace.com/therutabega) and I (Marc Ruvolo) will be reading two of my short speculative fiction pieces. This all starts at 8PM.

On Saturday, June 5th, we'll be having acoustic performances from SASS DRAGONS, DAS KAPITAL, and BALLS DEEP. That's at 7PM and should be a wingding blowout!

Facebook invite page:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=127933217222653

come on out to the shop

South Florida (need help with Miami stores)

Confusion Records- huge warning on this place. dude doesnt have anything priced. he just makes up random numbers, and jacks newer record prices way up

848 Park Avenue

Lake Park, FL 33403

Sounds Good Music- great store. there are some great finds to be had here

1026 Southeast Port Saint Lucie Boulevard

Port St Lucie, FL 34952

Radioactive Records- awesome store. good guys working there. decent finds every now and then

1930 East Sunrise Boulevard

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304

Backbone Music- small selection, but some fairly scarce records here and there

61 Southeast 4th Avenue

Delray Beach, FL 33483

Not doubting, but what have you found at Sounds Good? I live here and occasionally i pop in and its mostly overprice "moderately current" stuff and the 7"s all seem to be from the late 70's-early 90"s. I'ver never looked thoroughly so im hoping im missing something!

I haven't been there in about a year and a half. But I remember buying "So Long Astoria" (Ataris), "Petitioning Forever" (Converge), and a MLIW album for someone else. The prices were a little up there yeah, but I remember there being plenty of other things there that I wanted.

Atlanta, GA

Criminal Records

www.criminalatl.com

1154 Euclid Avenue Northeast

Atlanta, GA 30307

(404) 215-9511

Wax 'n Facts

432 Moreland Avenue Northeast

Atlanta, GA 30307-1423

(404) 525-2275

www.waxnfacts.com

Fantasyland

2839 Peachtree Road Northeast

Atlanta, GA 30305-3135

(404) 237-3193

CD Warehouse

6690 Roswell Road Northeast

Sandy Springs, GA 30328-3161

(404) 256-0057

www.cdwarehouse.com

Book Nook

3073 North Druid Hills Road

Decatur, GA

(404) 633-1342

Circle Sky Records

3633 Chamblee Tucker Road

Atlanta, GA 30341-4404

(770) 491-2100

www.circleskyrecords.com

Low Yo Yo Stuff

3870 North Peachtree Road

Atlanta, GA

http://www.myspace.com/lowyoyostuff

Syracuse, NY

NONE in the traditional sense. But two places that do sell. You'd almost think with all the colleges around their would be more interest in vinyl, but I guess the small increase in interest hasn't really hit up here.

Soundgarden:

http://www.cdjoint.com/

They specialize in used CDs and DVD's, but carry a small but better than nothing selection of new vinyl. They don't deal with used which is a HUGE letdown.

Books and Memories:

http://www.booksmemories.com/

A used book store, that recently started buying tons of used vinyl. The basement is the place to go, I was just there today and I would say they have a good 10-15,000 used vinyl all priced at 3.95 for a single LP or 4.95 for a double. Flat rate across the board which is nice. They don't carry new at all, but they have the best selection in town for used.

in addition to Extreme Noise and Eclipse

Minneapolis, MN

Treehouse Records

http://treehouserecords.blogspot.com

2557 South Lyndale Avenue

Minneapolis, MN 55405

(612) 872-7400‎

"Treehouse Records is the current incarnation of a series of storied record stores at the corner of 26th and Lyndale in south Minneapolis. After becoming Oar Folkjokeopus in 1972 it quickly emerged as the epicenter for the burgeoning 70s and 80s Twin Cities punk scene. Renamed Treehouse in 2001 after the Oar Folk manager took over the business, the store remains a staple of the Twin Cities underground/independent music community and the best source for vinyl in the state."

Electric Fetus (also in Duluth and St. Cloud)

www.efetus.com

2000 4th Ave. S

Minneapolis, MN 55404

(612) 870-9300

Cheapo - Uptown

http://www.cheapodiscs.com/mn.htm

1300 W. Lake St.

Minneapolis, MN 55408

Fifth Element (for HIP HOP)

www.fifthelementonline.com

2411 Hennepin Avenue

Minneapolis, MN

(612) 377-0044‎

Roadrunner Records

http://www.landspeedrecords.com

4304 Nicollet Avenue

Minneapolis, MN‎

(612) 822-0613

St. Paul, MN:

Cheapo - St. Paul (recently moved all their vinyl to its own store across the street)

80 Snelling Ave. N.

St. Paul, MN 55104

Hymie's Vintage Records (if you like to dig)

3820 East Lake Street

Minneapolis, MN 55406-2218

(612) 729-8890‎

Toad Hall

2106 Broadway

Rockford, IL 61104

http://www.myspace.com/rockfordtoadhall

If you like digging through stacks, this is the place for you. Three floors of vinyl, and they'll basically work out a price with you. Friendly, helpful, and there's books and stuff, too. Weird hours, and definitely not for those with allergies.

• 3 weeks later...

First post, didn't see my frequent stops here so I had to come and list them.

Cincinnati, OH

Shake It Records - indie/hipster vibe, tons of stock new & old

4156 Hamilton Avenue

Cincinnati, OH 45223

http://www.shakeitrecords.com/

Everybody's Records - more like "your dad's" record store. Lots of used stock, plenty of new though as well.

6106 Montgomery Road

Cincinnati, OH 45213

http://everybodysrecords.com/

Hamilton, OH

Galaxy CD's - tried vinyl in the beginning, not many people seemed interested, now he moved and is starting to get some of the bigger releases again. Always hooks me up with next day or two special orders.

94 N. BROOKWOOD AVE.

HAMILTON, OH, 45013

http://www.galaxydiscs.com/