Official Record Stores List (help us list them)

Noticed this one wasn't up here:

Deep Search Records in Jacksonville, FL. http://www.deepsearchrecords.com/

This is pretty much the only decent record store in Jacksonville if you're looking for indie rock etc.

brought in a handfull of 70s-80s records for trade and they gave me $60 store credit, not bad if you ask me

Washington DC and the very nearby Virginia area:

CD Cellar

709 W Broad St.

Falls Church, VA. 22046

CD Cellar

2607 Wilson Blvd.

Arlington, VA 22201

What you'll typically find: A mix of everything, but mainly classic rock, jazz, country, oldies.

Great prices on their older albums. They also have newer items mixed in.

Record & Tape Exchange

9448 Main St.

Fairfax, VA. 22031

What you'll typically find: A mix of everything. The punk/hardcore/metal sections are small. They have a great $1 section though.

Great variety and the staff is nice, but the prices are kind of expensive.

Smash Records

2314 18th St. NW

Washington DC. 2009

What you'll typically find:Good deals!

Best place out of all the stores to find punk/hardcore albums. Not the biggest selection but they do have a good mix of old LPs and new releases.

Vienna Music Exchange

131 Church St. NW

Vienna, VA. 22180

What you'll typically find: Metal and classic rock.

The owner is super nice! He always has very fair prices. It's the smallest place you've ever seen as a store but it's one of the only places to find metal albums.

Melody Record Shop

1623 Connecticut Ave N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20009

I've only been there one time. I can't really remember what they had but I think it was mainly newer releases.

Crooked Beat Records

2318 18th St NW

Washington, DC 20009

I've never had any luck getting anything from Crooked Beat except the new Pearl Jam before it was released. Worth going to if you're at Smash Records (practically the same building).

Som Records

1843 14th Street NW

Washington, DC

Sorry, I don't remember anything about this store.

Red Onion Records & Books

1901 18th Street NW

Washington, DC 20009

You'll find high prices.

I'll add :

2nd and Charles

2904 Prince William Pkwy, Woodbridge, VA 22192
(703) 680-3175

Nice selection of new stuff, and a large, but so so selection of used stuff, mostly 70's - 80's pop / rock stuff.
used stuff can be nicely priced to slightly overpriced especially when you can find a lot of the same records for $1 at RTX in Fairfax, The new stuff is pretty much retail. If you follow them on facebook, they offer $5 off $25 purchase or more 4 or 5 times a year which is nice.

Vienna Music Exchange is definitely my favorite place to shop, I just wish it were slightly bigger and that it was open more than just Thursday through Sunday. I was in there this past Sunday with 5 other guys and I started getting claustrophobic haha. So much awesome stuff packed into such a small room though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rochester NY

Lakeshore Records
370 Park Avenue, 14607

Pretty good store with a solid mix of new/used. Lots of CD's/DVD's as well.

Needle Drop Records (someone already mentioned this but it's worth including as well)
304 Gregory St, 14620

Great shop with much more new records. Great mix with a good deal of new/used 7" as well. My personal fav. 

The Record Archive

33 1/2 Rockwood St, 14610

Some new, a whoooole lot of used. This place is really big with a good mix of cd's as well.

PENNSYLVANIA
Milkcrate
400 E Girard Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19125
Fishtown

Philadelphia Record Exchange
1524 Frankford Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19125
Fishtown

Borderline

525 W. Girard Ave

Philadelphia, PA 19122

•  

Repo Records
538 South St
Philadelphia, PA 19147

a.k.a. Records
27 N 2nd St
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Long in the Tooth
2027 Sansom St
Philadelphia, PA 19103

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some additional stores in Minnesota:

Electric Fetus:

12 E Superior St, Duluth, MN 55802

2000 4th Ave South, Minneapolis, MN 55404

Cheapo Discs:

1300 West Lake St

Minneapolis, MN 55408

71 Snelling Ave

St. Paul, MN 55104

170 89th Ave NE

Blaine, MN 55434

Fifth Element:

2411 Hennepin Ave

Minneapolis, MN 55405

(Fifth Element is a Hip-Hop retail store)

• 2 weeks later...

PENNSYLVANIA

Milkcrate

400 E Girard Ave

Philadelphia, PA 19125

Fishtown

Philadelphia Record Exchange

1524 Frankford Ave.

Philadelphia, PA 19125

Fishtown

Borderline

525 W. Girard Ave

Philadelphia, PA 19122

•  

Repo Records

538 South St

Philadelphia, PA 19147

a.k.a. Records

27 N 2nd St

Philadelphia, PA 19106

Long in the Tooth

2027 Sansom St

Philadelphia, PA 19103

Two I went to today:

Siren Records

25 E State St

Doylestown, PA 18901

Extensive classic rock section, as well as current indie/punk/hardcore/rock/etc., hip-hop, large jazz selection, folk, and soundtracks

The Rail Stop Record Shop

7870 Spring Ave

Elkins Park, PA 19027

Inventory of 20,000 fairly priced used records.  Pop/Rock, country, small hip hop section, soundtracks, box sets, 45's, etc.

*Store is 50 feet from the Elkins Park train station, definitely worth making a pit stop on your way to/from Philly

• 2 weeks later...

If you're ever in Orange County in Socal, hit up Factory Records in Costa Mesa. The owner used to run Noise Noise Noise and he gets in some amazing used stuff. Punk, rare soul and jazz, psych, indie and weird stuff. The store is the size of a large walk in closet, but there is some serious stuff there, new and used. If I lived there I would be going there weekly.

https://www.facebook.com/factoryrecords92627

I live in Lancaster, PA, and record stores here are a bit lacking, but here's what I've got:

Mr. Suit Records

118 West Chestnut Street

Lancaster, PA

Run by one guy, super friendly, get's new stuff often, and usually rare stuff, but it goes fast.

Angry, Young, and Poor

356 West Orange St.

Lancaster, PA

Anything punk

CI Records

226 N Prince St

Lancaster, PA

Small store, small selection, mostly new stuff.

There's another place on Prince St called Stan's Record Bar that I wouldn't recommend, but go in if you have time. Large sign that says RECORDS, and it's across the street from an awesome Mexican place

The Record Connection

550 N Reading Rd

Ephrata, PA

Pretty big store about 30 min away from Lancaster, good selection. Occasionally awesome stuff. 

I've recently been going to a newish store in Raleigh, NC called The Record Krate.

It's pretty great... nothing new in stock, but he get's used stuff all the time and is always spinning music.

Occasionally he'll just ask people in ear shot to hand him something to put on and he has a couple of racks behind the counter to showcase random LPs and the last time I was there he had a sign on an empty rack that said something like "This week's theme is cars.  If you find anything with a car on the cover while browsing bring it up to display"

The owner, Kirk, does a great job of engaging the customers.
The costs are very reasonable and he has some rare stuff and he does deals from time to time.

Very big dollar bin that he occasionally clears out, so you're not looking at the same crap everytime and he occasionally places "goodies" in the dollar bin (ie: stuff that should more likely be stickered at 5-8 bucks).

On my first visit I got a live Devo record, Aphex Twin - Donkey Rhubarb and a guitar trio album by John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola and Paco De Lucia called Passion, Grace, and Fire all for 13 bucks and in great condition.

The second time he had select Jazz titles 20% off and I picked up some Lionel Hampton & Yusef Lateef and an Oingo Boingo record.

Facebook Page

Yelp Page

Youtube page with clips of new arrivals (updated a couple of ties a week)

Blogspot (hasn't been updated since July)

The greatest record store chain I've ever been to now has a US location in CA.

http://diskunionusa.com/index.html

What's great about Disk Union is that they try to constantly move their stock. They price used records cheaply so they sell out fast. Every few weeks its like walking into a new store. I don't know if it would be like that in America. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just joined up and noticed that there was nothing from Vermont in this topic, so...

Pure Pop Records

115 S Winooski Avenue

Burlington, VT 05401

http://www.purepoponline.com/

This store is focused more on what you'd expect from Vermont; folk, indie, and a little pop and rock. Despite that there is a decent punk and hardcore section, as well as some punk records thrown in the pop and rock section. I've picked up great releases from Defeater, Modern Life is War, and Title Fight there, to name a few. If you can get past the usual snorefest that is their background music, this place will suffice.

Burlington Records

170 Bank St

Burlington, VT 05401

http://burlingtonrecords.com/

This store is much more focused on used rock and roll records, and it seems to go on and on with no end. The only time I've ever gone in here I ended up spending an hour and a half just wandering through rooms and up and down stairs, casually glancing through the selection. This personally serves as a reminder to go back there and get some good deals, the vibe there is also really lax and fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone has listed stores in Portland, OR, and forgive me if they have...I'm not going through 16 pages to find out, but...

Mississippi Records

5202 N Albina Ave, Portland, OR 97217

This place is great, they sell turntables, amps, receivers, do repairs, and all kinds of stuff in addition to vinyl and cassettes.  They've got a great selection here, and by far the best discount used selection I've seen in town. Great selection of "punk/modern" and a pretty good metal section.  Their big thing is weird foreign and blues stuff though, as they run their own label and reissue some of that stuff/put together comps. Super friendly staff. I may be a little biased since they're my neighborhood shop, so I frequent them the most.

Almost forgot. GREAT prices on their used records, which are usually sprinkled in with the new releases.

Little Axe Records

5012 NE 28th Ave, Portland, OR 97211

I actually haven't been in here, but they used to be connected with Mississippi records, maybe they still are, I don't know. I've heard some really good stuff about them from people I trust though.

Second Ave. Records

These guys are scattered throughout Portland and they're pretty alright. Mostly newer stuff and reissues though. Pretty friendly staff.

Music Millenium

3158 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214

I've only been here two or three times, but I really like it (it's a little far away from my abode.) They have a great selection and do in-store shows. Pretty decent prices too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think someone already mentioned it but Bull City Records in Durham, NC is one of my favorites!  He always gets really great used newer albums and sometimes there are free stuff AND he said that he will definitely have the 2 things I NEED on RSD so I'm really excited about that!  Plus he is helpful when you ask about albums that you know nothing about .

Plus there's a cool popsicle place two doors down which is a nice perk! :)

so if you're ever in the triangle I'd suggest that one.  I haven't been to schoolkids in forever but I think it's way more user friendly than the other record stores around here.

Bull City Records

2600 Hillsborough Rd, Durham, NC 27705
(919) 286-9640

http://www.bullcityrecords.com/‎

I've recently been going to a newish store in Raleigh, NC called The Record Krate.

It's pretty great... nothing new in stock, but he get's used stuff all the time and is always spinning music.

Occasionally he'll just ask people in ear shot to hand him something to put on and he has a couple of racks behind the counter to showcase random LPs and the last time I was there he had a sign on an empty rack that said something like "This week's theme is cars.  If you find anything with a car on the cover while browsing bring it up to display"

The owner, Kirk, does a great job of engaging the customers.

The costs are very reasonable and he has some rare stuff and he does deals from time to time.

Very big dollar bin that he occasionally clears out, so you're not looking at the same crap everytime and he occasionally places "goodies" in the dollar bin (ie: stuff that should more likely be stickered at 5-8 bucks).

On my first visit I got a live Devo record, Aphex Twin - Donkey Rhubarb and a guitar trio album by John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola and Paco De Lucia called Passion, Grace, and Fire all for 13 bucks and in great condition.

The second time he had select Jazz titles 20% off and I picked up some Lionel Hampton & Yusef Lateef and an Oingo Boingo record.

Facebook Page

Yelp Page

Youtube page with clips of new arrivals (updated a couple of ties a week)

Blogspot (hasn't been updated since July)

Where in Raleigh is this?  that sounds awesome!  

Where in Raleigh is this?  that sounds awesome!  

It's on St. Mary's street, not far from Downtown. It's hidden out back. Not always a sign out front due to Raleigh's sign ordinance. Found quite a few finds there. He runs so stellar record swaps too, where you can buy, trade, and sell. 

Chesire Cat also once in awhile with have a rarity or two. 

My favorite Raleigh store is Sorry State. Always pick something up there. 

Though my heart and soul is Bull City Records. 

• 3 weeks later...

First post, didn't see my frequent stops here so I had to come and list them.

Cincinnati, OH

Shake It Records - indie/hipster vibe, tons of stock new & old

4156 Hamilton Avenue

Cincinnati, OH 45223

http://www.shakeitrecords.com/

Everybody's Records - more like "your dad's" record store. Lots of used stock, plenty of new though as well.

6106 Montgomery Road

Cincinnati, OH 45213

http://everybodysrecords.com/

Hamilton, OH

Galaxy CD's - tried vinyl in the beginning, not many people seemed interested, now he moved and is starting to get some of the bigger releases again. Always hooks me up with next day or two special orders.

94 N. BROOKWOOD AVE.

HAMILTON, OH, 45013

http://www.galaxydiscs.com/

Cincinnati, OH

Black Plastic Records

4027 Hamilton Ave, Cincinnati, Ohio 45223

https://www.facebook.com/blackplasticrecords

Another Part of the Forest

1333 Main Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202

https://www.facebook.com/anotherpartoftheforest

Newport, KY

C&D Record Bar

908 Monmouth Street Newport, KY 41071

http://cdsrecordstapes.com/

Torn Light

937 1/2 Monmouth St, Newport, Kentucky 41071

http://tornlightrecords.blogspot.com/

Covington, KY

Sugarcube Records

609 Main Street, Covington, Kentucky 41011

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sugarcube-Records/411390972289764?ref=stream

Crazy Beat Records - Soul, Jazz, Funk, Reggae, House, Garage, Rock, RnB, Rap (everything!)

(UK store, not in the US but ships worldwide, their discogs site has loads of garage and house & rock/pysch stuff)

87 Corbets Tey Road, Upminster, Essex, England, RM14 2AH

www.crazybeat.co.uk

www.discogs.com/user/crazybeatrecords

www.facebook.com/crazybeatrecords

• 5 weeks later...

Just thought i would add to this list. Seems that NJ has not received any attention aside from the usual suspects like Vintage Vinyl and PREX. I thought i would add some small, but arguably better locations down south Jersey within an hour or less of Philly. 

Randy Now's Man Cave
134 farnsworth ave

bordertown, NJ 08505
Randy's is a newer shop that as of yet i have not visited, but have heard good things. I checked out his booth at the Trenton Punk Rock Flea Market and he had great selections at appropriate prices. They also sell some books and have a soda club and live shows. I'll have to report back when i stop in, but seems promising. 

The Record Collector

358 Farnsworth Ave

Bordentown, NJ 08505

This shop i've visited a few times since moving down this way. They have a ton of decent vinyl at oddly fair prices. Some stuff priced higher than they should, but some priced lower than they should. I grabbed a near mint first issue of Devo's "New Traditionalists" with all inserts and 7" for maybe $10-12. To me that's a good deal. Shop owner is pretty decent and they have shows there at night. 

The Record Museum
110 Cushman Ave

W. Berlin, NJ 08091

This is a very new store as well. It's located in the loft above a carpet store and so is a bit tough to locate the first time. Once there, it's a very nice shop. 80% of their stock is used at pretty fair prices. All the good stuff is on display or sold through their Discogs shop. They have a crazy amount of 7" stock if you need a jukebox to stuff. They do get some new stock, but in my personal opinion it is higher prices than they should be. That said, my last visit i spent about $20 and left with a bagful of VG+ to NM stuff. My favorite aspect was that i shopped for 3 hours and was left to browse through everything without interruption. To me, that's how i want to shop for records. 

Also, there's a small chain of Tunes stores down in Burlington County that sell new and used vinyl. They do not stock much of anything, but the two i've been to have had some decent used stuff. Grabbed a copy of Beastie Boys "In Sound From Way Out" and Jeremy Enigk "Return of the Frog Queen" extremely cheap and way way below market value. They do RSD and had almost all the same stuff Vintage Vinyl had at slightly higher prices. It's not a "destination" kind of shop, but good if you have time and are nearby.