Official Record Stores List (help us list them)

• 4 weeks later...

On 5/29/2019 at 1:38 PM, KaitouG said:

For SF, I recommend 1-2-3-4-Go! and Thrillhouse Records, both in the Mission District. 

Seconded. I usually end up going to to 1-2-3-4-Go in Oakland just because it's more convenient location wise for me. 

Also in Oakland, Park Boulevard Records and Tapes. It's a really small shop, only open Thursday to Sunday and they specialize in Hip Hop and R&B. Dope little shop. Not really what I'm in to but it's walking distance from me when I'm in Oakland so I'll occasionally check it out anyway. EDIT: Well shit. Went to go add their website only to find out they closed this past week. =/

Didn't see it when I searched, but Purchase Street Records in New Bedford, MA was awesome. Discovered it while on tour earlier this year. Ton of used punk, metal and indie stuff. Seems to lean more towards rarer items. Picked up a copy of Less Than Jake's In With the Out Crowd on vinyl from these guys. Would definitely go back here if ever in the area.

Edited by thenameisluigi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

not sure if mentioned in here, too much to read. but, any state or city that has a half price books - worth to go to. i've gotten a few grails there for pretty decent prices sometimes even below discogs value. they're all over midwest, maybe more i believe.

also for tampa, i definitely back mojo. picked up way too much there and it helps that they have a pretty nice coffee shop in house. 

kingfish records in clearwater florida is pretty nice, mostly used classic music but they have pretty nice prices.

daddy kool in st. pete is a lot better now that they moved to their new location, i always find so much there & you can pick up tickets for certain shows without fees.

i'm new to tampa/palm harbor/clearwater area so i don't know too many record stores, definitely wish i knew of more of them.

Edited by fourlokoemo

• 9 months later...
On 8/22/2019 at 5:08 PM, fourlokoemo said:

not sure if mentioned in here, too much to read. but, any state or city that has a half price books - worth to go to. i've gotten a few grails there for pretty decent prices sometimes even below discogs value. they're all over midwest, maybe more i believe.

also for tampa, i definitely back mojo. picked up way too much there and it helps that they have a pretty nice coffee shop in house. 

kingfish records in clearwater florida is pretty nice, mostly used classic music but they have pretty nice prices.

daddy kool in st. pete is a lot better now that they moved to their new location, i always find so much there & you can pick up tickets for certain shows without fees.

i'm new to tampa/palm harbor/clearwater area so i don't know too many record stores, definitely wish i knew of more of them.

In the St. Pete area you can check out Planet Retro Records, good used selection. I feel like PRR leans punk and metal.

And Sound Exchange in Tampa has a pretty wide variety of used records and CDs all genres. They have another location in Pinellas county as well if you're on that side of the bay more.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

some friends of mine just bought/reopened Tunes in Voorhees, NJ this past week as an independent store ~~ great ppl who are def stocking in line with the kinds of tastes i see on these boards

https://www.instagram.com/tunesonline/

Edited by copelandkid

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a new store in Woodstock, NY yesterday but they didn’t have a sign and I totally spaced on asking the name while grabbing some really good stuff. I’m gonna google search it everyday until a result finally comes up and I’ll update this post. 

Also, a store is opening up in Milford, CT this weekend. Pretty sure it’s run by Jay Reason of Voice of Reason/The Distance/Stillborn Records fame https://instagram.com/staticerarecords?igshid=1vllqu5daoxij

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm going to add my favorite record store here because they no longer show up in google maps. It's Siren Records in McHenry Illinois. The back section of the store is like an early 70's hi-fi store. For me it was like stepping back in time. But the whole store is awesome. The record selection is great, and they have live acts (though I don't know if the lockdown is affecting that now).  They also have a facebook page. 

I live in Kentucky, so whenever I go there I will pick up an album from their "local acts" section. I've come up with some real winners!

On 12/30/2020 at 3:51 PM, Wasda Deelwifkramer said:

Mile Long Records in the western suburb of Wheaton in Illinois is where I go.

http://milelongrecords.com/

Heh. I collect branded TT mats from any store I visit. I went in there last year and asked for one to go with my purchase. They don't have one. But they DID have a "Now Playing " block of wood to hold the record jacket of the record I'm "currently playing" with their logo on it. So that's what I now use when playing records. Nice guys in there too! 

BTW, for me a real "sleeper" is Purple Dog records. I couldn't figure out why it was where it was. It seems like an absurdly quiet location. Then I realized it was right next to a commuter train "station", so he picks up all the commuters as they come home. Anyway, the big advantage of that place is the prices. I got a VG+ copy of Mr. Heartbreak for five bucks. But be warned that the place is small

Edited by Direct driver

4 hours ago, Direct driver said:

Heh. I collect branded TT mats from any store I visit. I went in there last year and asked for one to go with my purchase. They don't have one. But they DID have a "Now Playing " block of wood to hold the record jacket of the record I'm "currently playing" with their logo on it. So that's what I now use when playing records. Nice guys in there too! 

BTW, for me a real "sleeper" is Purple Dog records. I couldn't figure out why it was where it was. It seems like an absurdly quiet location. Then I realized it was right next to a commuter train "station", so he picks up all the commuters as they come home. Anyway, the big advantage of that place is the prices. I got a VG+ copy of Mr. Heartbreak for five bucks. But be warned that the place is small

I need to check out Purple Dog. I live 10 minutes from there,

18 minutes ago, Wasda Deelwifkramer said:

I need to check out Purple Dog. I live 10 minutes from there,

Funny thing: After my comment I went to yelp to find them and they said the same thing I said on prices, as well as them being small. And that latter can not be emphasized enough. The place is smaller than a large bedroom. But they have a LOT of stuff for their size. I think this is a case of "Low overhead, and we pass the savings on to you." This is a record store you go to in order to actually BUY STUFF and not just look around.  

They also may have enlarged since I was there.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After a long grind Meteor Gem is set to open to the public on July 1st. We're running an in-store special - 15% off all purchases from the 1st through the 4th of July

We hope to do justice for the metal and hardcore community here in Chicago and our friends who travel across the country to visit

Thank you for your support and we hope to see you here!

Friday July 1st - Monday July 4th 10AM - 8PM
3082 N ELSTON AVE

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...