Official Record Stores List (help us list them)

• 2 weeks later...

for the record, there is not much going in Richmond, IN. It appears one would have to drive to Muncie, Dayton or Hamilton to find a decent record store. On a completely unrelated note, while Richmond may not have a place to avoid haning out with weirdo midwestern "inlaws", it does have tree beavers.

5629166075_9db622f6a8_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

DUBUQUE, IOWA - Not sure why anybody would want to travel here, but here we go anyway:

Moondog Music

806 Wacker Drive

Dubuque, IA 52002

(563) 583-7041

Tons of incense floating around inside, but you're all probably used to that. Good selection, good prices. Not a huge store, so your browsing probably won't last longer than 30 minutes. Lots of CD's too, if anyone remembers those. The back corner is a head shop. <-- True story.

CD's 4 Change

3305 Asbury Rd Ste 2

Dubuque, IA 52002

(563) 583-9757

Really great place to shop. Don't let the name fool you, there's definitely more vinyl than CD's. But, again, not a very big place, so you'll see everything in the store in about half an hour. Only bad thing I would say is they sell a lot of bootlegs, but try and play it off like they're not bootlegs. I, personally have no problem with boots, but I still want to know what I'm buying. I bought the "Tool - Lollapalooza '93" boot there, then returned it, guy behind the counter gave me a hard time. Still, never passed up an opportunity to stop in.

Unforgivable Records

375 Bluff Street

Dubuque, IA

563-582-2890

Only been there a handful of times, but the only reason I don't go more often is that it's kinda hard to find. It's operated out of a guy's apartment(?), upstairs from a coffee shop. The store is unique in that a lot of the merchandise is the guy's own collection which he displays and sells and lets strangers finger through. :o Not sure I could do that. The guy is really nice, and knows his stuff, not like some stores where the guy behind the register has never spun a record. Cheap stuff, usually, and used/refurbished 'tables as well. Definitely a hidden gem.

In case Eugene, Oregon wasn't mentioned. The house of records is great (small but awesome). Emerald city vinyl has mostly used vinyl. Haven't been there in awhile though. And the westside has skips (or cd exchange something). Mostly cds. But a good size used vinyl section.

Bend, Oregon has ranch records. Their vinyl section is kinda small but I've found a few gems there. There's a sister store in salem as well.

One day I will venture up to portland. I hear good things.

My apoligizes for lack of detail but I'm Sipping whiskey so fell lucky to do this. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

For any UK fellas;

Manchester, England

Vinyl Exchange

18 Oldham Street

Manchester

Lancashire

M1 J1N

United Kingdom

(http://www.vinylexchange.co.uk/)

Excellent record shop that sells rare and 2nd hand records, CDs, dvds, posters, etc. Worldwide shipping on the online store, too, can find some great rares on there! The workers are very kind, and happily reserved a couple of records for me, free of charge! Definetely worth a visit if you're in the area.

Also, right across the road from Vinyl Exchange;

Piccadilly Records

53 Oldham Street

Manchester

M1 1JR

United Kingdom

(https://www.piccadillyrecords.com)

This shop is great. Lot's and lots of awesome records in here, and once again the webstore is worldwide shipping. They're big Metronomy fans in here, and stock a lot of their stuff, some exclusives too. Found a few great rare Smiths records in there, and It's a regular spot for me.

Sacramento, California.

The Beat - On the corner of J & 18th - This is a good indie record shop. Prices range from $10.00 to $40.00 depending on the rarity, if it's double disc, and it's age/wear and tear. It's a good shop.

Dimple Records - on the corner of 16th & Broadway - This place starts at $10.99 and goes up to god knows what depending on the box sets, and same shit as the last record store.

Dimple Records - Arden Way - This location has an actual record & book store next to it of the name Dimple Books.

Good luck man! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ohio Record Store List

Columbus, Athens, Cincinnati & Bowling Green

-Great thread! I plan to use this thread to visit shops while traveling. Thanks to everyone for the posts!

-I was left high and dry recently when searching online for record stores in Boston. After hours in traffic I found several stores were closed. This thread could avoid this from happening to others.

-Several posts in this thread cover great record shops in Columbus, OH. I wanted to compliment those posts by including photos, video comments and crate digging videos at those shops so you can see inside. The stores listed below buy/sell used and new vinyl, have normal business hours and are open on the weekends unless otherwise noted.

Columbus, OH

Vinyl Frontier

51 East Gay Street

Great entrance & ambiance. However, it's dark inside and hard to inspect the vinyl. Several purchases were in worse condition than I thought when I got them home. Crate digging video soon. Gigantic selection of hip-hop singles.

Elizabeth's Records
3037 Indianola Ave

Spoonful Records

116 E. Long Street

Free parking, awesome shop, free vintage pinball! Comments in video / Crate digging video soon.

SpoonfulSmall_zps20f80fa5.jpg

Used Kids Records

1980 North High Street

(Crate digging video and comments up now)

The Black Keys are known to visit and promote this shop!

Magnolia Thunderpussy

1155 North High Street

Nice shop, huge selection of T's I don't see anywhere else. Music DVDs.

Warning: Very pricy on harder-to-find back issues. Check Discogs and eBay before spending $$$ on their "backwall displayed items"

For example: quiet riot picture disc bootleg priced $45. It's worth about $8. Metallica creeping death vertigo EP: $60 worth about $15

(See videos)

Lost Weekend

2960 North High Street

Best Record Store Day destination imo.

(See video link below for more)

Ace In The Hole

1153 Kenny Centre (Kenny Rd.)

Never know WHAT will be in the new arrival bin! I've found all kinds of harder-to-find records here. Does not buy vinyl collections. However, I've brought in one or two copies that he's been willing to trade for.

Memory Lane

2338 W Broad St.

Only open Saturday's. Thousands of LPs but the building is a mess! Recommended for vinyl pickers who like to get down and dirty to find that diamond in the rough!

Yesterday's

1789 N. Hague Ave Wed-Sat 12pm-6pm

(See video for more comments)

VinylRecordsNHagueAveColumbusOHSmall_zps

Dreadful Sounds

3339 1/2 N High St.

All things Metal. Hair bands, great selection of 7", noise, punk, thrash. Other genres too. Cassettes!

Bowling Green, OH

Finders

128 North Main Street

HUGE beautiful store CDs DVDs Box Sets New & Used Vinyl

Comments in video link

FindersSma_zps9db4da45.jpg

Athens, OH

Haffa's Records

15 West Union Street

Video comments

HaffasRecordStoreAthensOH2012Small_zpsc7

Cincinnati, OH

Shake It Records

4156 Hamilton Avenue #1

Largest Collection of Punk I've ever seen!

Distributor

ShakeItRecordsCincinattiOHSmall_zpscc6b7

Video Links

Comments about most of these record stores (Video):

http://youtu.be/VkAfu0P3z1Y

Crate Digging @ Used Kids Records (Video)

http://youtu.be/ltHecPI3mKU

3 more "crate digging" videos will be posted on the same channel in the next several weeks.

I live around the Memphis area and am new to the whole vinyl game. I'm sure there are some other places too, but I only know a few places to get records. Haven't personally been to the last two yet, but I hear they're pretty good.

Spin Street

3484 Poplar Avenue  Memphis, TN 38111

Shangri-La

1916 Madison Avenue Memphis, TN

Goner Records

2152 Young Avenue Memphis, TN

In PA:

Repo Records - Philadelphia

Beautiful World Syndicate - Philadelphia

Main Street Music - Philadelphia

AKA Music - Philadelphia

Long In The Tooth - Philadelphia

Double Decker Records - Allentown

Gallery of Sound - Wilkes Barre

Some are much better than others. Depends on your taste.

A couple newer ones around Detroit that I didn't see listed:

UHF Music

Royal Oak

-Good selection, great staff, decent pricing. Mostly used but good, relevant new stock as well. Used selection is very diverse for how small the overall size of stock is.

Found Sound

Ferndale

-About the same as UHF except I think they've got better prices overall. The staff is as or more friendly than UHF and have been very helpful in the few visits I've made.

Dearborn Music

-This one has been mentioned already but I wanted to throw another plug out there for them. Excellent store with great owners and great staff!

One day I will venture up to portland. I hear good things.

do it.

portland, or -- a few stores have been mentioned already (2nd avenue, jackpot, green noise), but:

everyday music (3 locations: downtown, northeast, beaverton) -- definitely the most "mainstream" of the record stores in portland, but it is the largest by size and selection, and i have found the occasional gem there (the dear hunter, genghis tron, etc.). downtown is the biggest.

music millennium -- similar to EM but smaller, something for everyone.

reviewing the aforementioned:

2nd avenue records is the punk/hardcore/metal/crust/doom/etc. record store. definitely a treat.

jackpot records (downtown, southeast) is overrated. small selection, nothing spectacular.

green noise -- never been but have heard good things

• 1 month later...

Here's a more definitive list for St. Louis:

Vintage Vinyl

6610 Delmar

St. Louis MO 63130

314-721-4096

Online: http://www.vintagevinyl.com

Euclid Records

601 E Lockwood Ave

St Louis, MO 63119

After May 1

19 N Gore Ave

St. Louis, MO 63119

314-961-8978

Online: http://www.euclidrecords.com

Record Exchange

5320 Hampton Ave

St. Louis, MO 63109

(314) 832-2249

Online: http://www.recordexchangestl.com

Apop Records

2831 Cherokee

St Louis, MO 63118

(314) 664-6575

Online: http://www.apoprecords.com

• 2 weeks later...

PHOENIX, ARIZONA

Revolver Records

918 North 2nd Street Phoenix, AZ 85004

(602) 795-4980

http://www.revolveraz.com/

Mon-Thu 11AM-9PM

Fri-Sat 11AM-10PM

Sun NOON-5PM

Stinkweeds

12 West Camelback Road Phoenix, AZ 85013

(602) 248-9461

http://www.stinkweeds.com/

Mon-Sat 11AM-8PM

Sun NOON-6PM

Zia Records (a chain with 2 additional stores in Vegas)

http://www.ziarecords.com/Home

Tempe

University & Maple

105 W. University, Tempe, AZ 85281

480-829-1967

10AM-MIDNIGHT All Week

T-Bird

Thunderbird & 25th Ave.

2510 W. Thunderbird Road, Phoenix, AZ 85023

602-866-7867

10AM-MIDNIGHT All Week

Chandler

Dobson Rd. & Chandler Blvd.

1940 W. Chandler Blvd, Chandler, AZ 85224

480-857-4942

Sun-Thu 10AM-10PM

Fri-Sat 10AM-11PM

Indian School

Indian School & 19th Ave.

1940 W. Indian School, Phoenix AZ 85015

602-241-0313

Mon-Sat 10AM-11PM

Sun 10AM-10PM

Tracks in Wax

4741 North Central Avenue Phoenix, AZ 85012

(602) 274-2660

http://tracksinwax.com/

... I actually don't know their hours for sure. .Methinks they close at 6PM

Heading to Arizona tomorrow (hopefully). Which place has the best selection of punk?

Shake It! in Cincinnati has been mentioned a couple of times.  It is a GREAT store and I am there as often as my finances will allow.  

A quick note; they accept big box retailer gift cards (Amazon, Staples, Best Buy, etc) as payment.  They have to call to verify the amount and will give you in-store credit for the full amount.

Just another reason they are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a RS trip yesterday.  In terms of record store owners I went 5 for 5.  All BOSS and look forward to stopping in each of these again.

Pittsburgh

Jerry's Records- Probably the largest record store I've ever been in.  Never been to Amoeba, but their one main room is bigger than anything I've ever seen.  They have at least 3 rooms.  ALL USED.  Not that I'm a beacon of knowledge by any stretch, but there had to be at least 50% of the rock back catalog that he had index cards for that I had never even heard of.  Boxes and boxes everywhere and a GREAT guy who's been doing it a long time.  Tennis shoes, mesh shorts, and a big Jerry's Records t-shirt on a dude who's been doing it forever...Classic.

75% of the 45 boxes on the back wall are nothing but picture sleeves.  Not 45s w/ pic sleeves....JUST pic sleeves. 

jerrys_zps172d5fdb.jpg

Sound Cat

Nice little store of maybe 500-1000 new titles and maybe 200 used.  Has an equal amount of CDs.  Reminds me A LOT of Repo Records in Philly.  Carl is a GREAT guy.  Really liked meeting him and I bought a bunch of goodies including a couple of Nobunny records in the used bin.

Columbus

Lost Weekend

A perfect example of how Columbus has quickly become a hot bed for vinyl (there's about 14-15 stores in Cbus now all right on High St.)  One man band who takes a ton of pride in his inventory and works it.  Good smattering of new and used with reasonable pricing.  Also has his own label of which I picked up their 3 7"s.  Honestly I was in such a hurry to hit so many stores and I enjoyed the owner so much that I ended up probably spending more time bullshitting with him than diving for gems.  One of the nicest and most engaging record store owners I've ever met.  Bar none.

Spoonful Records

Another good local shop specializing more in new vinyl.  His prices are a dollar or two more than LW but that makes sense given his location is right near center city.  I didn't get the owners name as I felt a little guilty for not finding anything I wanted to buy, but he was a really good dude as well.  I'll stop in there again

Used Kids Records

Another big huge used record store most similar of all the above stores to Jerry's but the bands/titles aren't near as obscure.  They also have a significant section of new.  Has 15-20 linear feet of new arrivals that could be new or used.  Picked up a couple of rare Beatles records and a copy of Sonic Youth 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.'  Nice find.  Of all the people I spoke to, I probably spoke with Gary at Used Kids the longest.  He shared a great story with me about how they bought a trailer full of vinyl recently and once they started going through the receipts that were in the piles of inventory they discovered that the whole truckload was from a former customer/hoarder who had defaulted on the truck storage. 

NOTE- Every single owner said this year's RSD was great and that it was better than last year's which was everyone's previous best.  Seems to just keep getting bigger.