Kevin Smith=to fat for the sky

lostatsea

Anna Nicole Smith got as much attention for being bat-shit crazy as good-looking. Plus, while she was more full-figured than most comparably speaking she got attention when she was extremely thin (save for her chest - which was not natural) for her height.

Mia Tyler is the son of the lead singer for Aerosmith. She got the attention for it. And of course there are a few exceptions but Mia Tyler is not a sex-symbol. Further, name another plus-sized model off the top of your head.

I'll wait.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average size range for a woman in the US is 8-14.

Female models and celebrities sure as hell aren't that in that size range AT ALL. To put it all in perspective. And I think the high fashion magazine that featured plus sized models a month or so ago making it a "feature" and not a norm really isn't doing too much. The next month they go back to the same size 00 waifs they always use. If they really wanted a change or to embrace the "real" woman they'd feature plus size models every month. Y'think?

Doesn't the fact that I can name anyone at all make a point in and of itself?

I don't care who is fat or who isn't. I'm a beefy guy myself. When we got married, my ex weighed more than I did I was 180, she was 185. I'm a shade under 6'2". She's 5'4" on a good day. Now she's 135 and I'm 225. How do you explain that? She's "big boned". So am I. I believe it's as much choice as it is biological. Biggest Loser proves that as well.

So don't presume I have a vendetta against those larger than I. You couldn't be more wrong.

I also believe that if I was in the middle seat between Kevin Smith and someone else, I'd be pretty upset as a paying airline customer. I don't expect a Lazy Boy and a glass of scotch, but I do expect a certain degree of comfort while I travel. And like I said, why would he buy two seats as a general rule if he didn't know this also and realize that he fits into two seats much better than one.

I also believe that if I was in the middle seat between Kevin Smith and someone else, I'd be pretty upset as a paying airline customer.

It may be uncomfortable, but you'd be sitting next to Kevin fucking Smith! I'm sure i'd get over being a sardine pretty quickly. There's much more things in life to worry about than being uncomfortable on an airplane.

I know I am overweight. It comes from being in a relationship for 5 years and becoming comfortable and letting myself go. That, and I fucking love beer. I started working out again, and I've lost 15 pounds. I feel great about it, I feel overall healthier, but reading some shit people have to say about overweight people is just disgusting. For me, it adds motivation to get back into shape. But no one needs to tell someone else they are fat, believe me, they know they are. Leave them be.

I've always been slightly irritated by some of my friends who do nothing but drink beer, eat pizza and do nothing with their lives besides go to work. They are skinnier than can be, and will never gain more than 5 pounds and then say they feel like they are fat. It's fucking annoying.

Emergency exit rows are where it's at. In most planes, I try and lock in one of those, and if my FC upgrade doesn't clear, I know I'll still be comfortable. Plus, you know that no obese passengers, children or old people will be in your row.

Also, use seatguru.com. If your plane has a soft bulkhead (a curtain, or nothing, instead of an actual wall) that's usually just as good.

Who do you fly, dude? I'm platinum with Continental...flying coach is for suckers!

Usually bounce between gold and silver with Northwest. I status matched over to Continental because I wasn't looking forward to Delta, so I've been flying both a fair bit. I should be able to maintain silver with both from here on out. Even with their smaller FC cabins, I've been surprised to get upgraded about 50% of the time with Continental.

The average size range for a woman in the US is 8-14.

Not to mention plus-size models are generally a size 12! If someone thinks that is representative of what a real "plus-size" is, they are obviously deluding themselves (but hey, it's the fashion industry). Interestingly enough, NPR had a piece on NYC's Fashion week yesterday: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123604722

"There is a real disconnect between what the fashion industry considers to be a plus-size model and what the average person considers to be plus size," Givhan said, adding that a woman going into a department store won't be sized out of the most fashionable clothes until she reaches size 16.

a couple observations on my part.

1) I'm 6'4, weigh about 290. I fit just fine in most seats width wise, except for my shoulders, which I can't do a damn thing about. When I was fit and trim, I had the same issues. I'm tall, and have broad shoulders. Can't do a damn thing about that. So if I can't get a exit aisle, I try and get a window seat so I can lean towards that way and not encroach on the person next to me.

2) exit aisles are not easy to get anymore. For those of us that don't fly a ton, most of those are reserved for frequent fliers, etc. It's damn near impossible to reserve one of those seats these days, depending on the airline.

3) Honestly, if Kevin Smith is usually purchasing a 2nd seat, he knows there is an issue with his weight. Flying standby, he should have expected this. I'd never think of purchasing a 2nd seat, because I'm just not that big sideways. But I'd bet dude weighs more than I do, and he's a lot shorter. At least he gets some knee room

4) Southwest Airlines hates everybody. Fat people, Skinny girls that show cleavage or wear short skirts, etc. They keep popping up as having all these issues with people. Just makes me not want to fly with them ever.

5) They should make more leg room for airplanes. I'm sick of all you short bastards that don't have to cram your knees into the seat in front of you.

the seats in first class are a little wider. why hasnt anyone brought up that someone like kevin smith should be able to afford first class tickets. he could buy one first class ticket instead of 2 regular tickets every time. i'm sure it cant be that much more? but seriously. he's famous why isnt he flying first class?

There's no first class on Southwest to the best of my knowledge. And while Mr. Smith could do that, what about everyone else? Not quite plausible for the general population and frankly the idea a large person is a safety risk is kind of stupid.

I can't believe this attitude is so prevalent. You're not responsible of planeloads of people for a living, so why would you think that somehow your knowledge of the subject matter is superior to someone who is.

Who would you rather be sitting next to when you plane crashes and is on fire, the person who is more likely to spring out of their seat and dash for the exit of the person who will struggle to get up and take up the entire aisle of the plane where otherwise two people might be able to fit?

Don't get me wrong, I don't care at all what people do with their bodies. If someone wants to weigh 800 pounds then that's their prerogative, but if a plane captain says that person is a danger to my safety in an emergency then I would rather them be removed then endanger me.

There's no first class on Southwest to the best of my knowledge. And while Mr. Smith could do that, what about everyone else? Not quite plausible for the general population and frankly the idea a large person is a safety risk is kind of stupid.

I can't believe this attitude is so prevalent. You're not responsible of planeloads of people for a living, so why would you think that somehow your knowledge of the subject matter is superior to someone who is.

Who would you rather be sitting next to when you plane crashes and is on fire, the person who is more likely to spring out of their seat and dash for the exit of the person who will struggle to get up and take up the entire aisle of the plane where otherwise two people might be able to fit?

Don't get me wrong, I don't care at all what people do with their bodies. If someone wants to weigh 800 pounds then that's their prerogative, but if a plane captain says that person is a danger to my safety in an emergency then I would rather them be removed then endanger me.

I'm willing to bet a big old NFL lineman can move faster than me even though he's carrying way more weight.

And frankly common sense in any situation is not privy to any specific person.

In extreme cases I get it but this is not an extreme case and I would take a guess the majority are not either.

If this was the case we'd be sequestering parents with kids because they'll be moving slower too but that doesn't happen. They just get to board first. They're not seated differently or in better locations.

If this was really about saftey there'd be far more to it than simply moving people who are large of the plane or in to two seats. At the very least they'd be moving larger people in to solely window seats beyond making them purchase two tickets.

1) This whole situation is being done to promote Cop Out. Don't believe me? Why would Kevin Smith (a legit multi-millionaire) fly stand by on South West? I'm sure he explains he got bumped and yadda yadda. I would imagine he can fly first class if he wants (shit private plane son). This is also the most media jumbo tron has managed to scare up since Dogma (though that was substantially more purposeful).

2) I support the idea of fat people airlines. If I have to pay extra for a bag over 50 pounds (or any bag at all), why should you be able to carry 50 extra pounds of cheesy nachos on board in your colon?

3) In terms of exit aisles, I fully believe they should be decided by an obstacle course before the flight. You check a box when you buy your ticket that says you'd like to earn an emergency exit seat. 30 minutes before the flight those willing do the obstacle course, the top 6 (or 12 or whatever) to finish get the seat. If my safety is on the line I want the guy at the door to be the guy who's able to carry a steel belted radial tire up a 30 yard incline and not the octogenarian who happened to spend an extra $40 for preferential seating (fuck you Delta).

if the plane is goin down youre dying anyway. who cares about emergency exits, you probably wont be able to use it cause you'll die. who cares about how fat someone is or them blocking the aisle, cause you'll be dead anyway.

Also if southwest doesnt have first class, then kevin smith shoulda found someone who does.

1) This whole situation is being done to promote Cop Out. Don't believe me? Why would Kevin Smith (a legit multi-millionaire) fly stand by on South West? I'm sure he explains he got bumped and yadda yadda. I would imagine he can fly first class if he wants (shit private plane son). This is also the most media jumbo tron has managed to scare up since Dogma (though that was substantially more purposeful).

2) I support the idea of fat people airlines. If I have to pay extra for a bag over 50 pounds (or any bag at all), why should you be able to carry 50 extra pounds of cheesy nachos on board in your colon?

3) In terms of exit aisles, I fully believe they should be decided by an obstacle course before the flight. You check a box when you buy your ticket that says you'd like to earn an emergency exit seat. 30 minutes before the flight those willing do the obstacle course, the top 6 (or 12 or whatever) to finish get the seat. If my safety is on the line I want the guy at the door to be the guy who's able to carry a steel belted radial tire up a 30 yard incline and not the octogenarian who happened to spend an extra $40 for preferential seating (fuck you Delta).

Hey, look, Dante's back!

if the plane is goin down youre dying anyway. who cares about emergency exits, you probably wont be able to use it cause you'll die. who cares about how fat someone is or them blocking the aisle, cause you'll be dead anyway.

Also if southwest doesnt have first class, then kevin smith shoulda found someone who does.

Oh really?

[image]

1)

2) If I have to pay extra for a bag over 50 pounds (or any bag at all), why should you be able to carry 50 extra pounds of cheesy nachos on board in your colon?

This I tend to agree with. If airlines are gonna be charging based on luggage weight (more weight equaling more fuel), then a 200 lb person with a 50 lb bag shouldn't pay the same as a 400 lb person with a 50 lb bag. I just don't know how this could be enforced without weight discrimination lawsuits following.

Hey, look, Dante's back!

This would have been more fitting on one of the five or so posts I accidentally made from that account when I was covering the front desk at work (where I still have that logged in). Still, I appreciate you tracking my use and content.

Hey, look, Dante's back!

This would have been more fitting on one of the five or so posts I accidentally made from that account when I was covering the front desk at work (where I still have that logged in). Still, I appreciate you tracking my use and content.

I was commenting on the humor in your post. Most "richard" posts are pretty vanilla, but this one was a nice throwback to your alter-ego days. Nothin' but love for ya, baby!