the How to Press a Record Thread

I haven't gone through this thread, but I thought this was the best place to ask. Somewhat interested in start a distro and was wondering if I could get some advice about it, tips, how it's done, factors, and everything else involved.

I don't have experience running a distro, but I do run a small label and I'd say the general idea is to get in touch with labels, buy vinyl from them at wholesale/distro rates, sell them for a profit. We need more distros, they have all basically went away. 

I think a smart idea would be to buy from labels early on and get first pressings, then if one day that variant sells out, you're almost guaranteed to sell your copies. Also, once you're big enough you can ask labels for an exclusive variant that only you stock in your store. 

Another good idea is to not get greedy and charge like $17 for an LP you got for $8, keep it reasonable and you'll gain loyal customers with repeat orders. 

• 2 weeks later...

Running a distro is nice but sometimes you regret selling some of that stuff. But you also get to snag a lot of good stuff.

I ran one with a buddy a few years ago. We used to order things from stickfigure, midheaven, and a couple other distros. I think going with labels directly would be a better deal. Just email them, tell them you're running a distro and you'll get wholesale rates. Obviously they expect you to buy multiple copies of a few things so it doesn't look like someone building a nice collection for themselves. Distros and larger labels will probably have minimum orders.

This distro was run at shows and not online so I can't really help you with that aspect of it.

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but has anyone had any experience doing lathe cuts for home recordings? I've been researching because me and a couple of buddies were really interested in doing some lo-fi lathecuts for our local bands as a hobby and to make a little money on the side. 

anyone have experience dealing with major labels, or at least some friendly advice? i could use some help in regard to contacting the label and negotiating with it (in regard to licensing and royalties. -- do i go straight to them, or go through ASCAP, BMI, etc.?). i will be incredibly grateful for any tips to help me not look like a fool and doom the project before it begins.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greatestvinylcollectoreva

To press a record all you need to do is but it between my ass cheeks and punch my stomach until my ass hairs make the lines in the vinyl.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting a label soon and I have a couple questions.

1. How much do bands make when a label presses a record? Let's say you're pressing a run of 500 for an active artist: do the artist get a portion of the records or a portion of the sales made on the record?

2. Same as above but for an artist that is no longer around.

3. At lastly, has anyone tried the Pirate Press $2000 for 500 12" LPs special. (Includes all Mastering, Plating, Full Color Labels and Jackets (w/ 3mm Spine) on Upgraded 16pt. Stock!). Is it worth it?

Thanks!

I'm starting a label soon and I have a couple questions.

1. How much do bands make when a label presses a record? Let's say you're pressing a run of 500 for an active artist: do the artist get a portion of the records or a portion of the sales made on the record?

2. Same as above but for an artist that is no longer around.

3. At lastly, has anyone tried the Pirate Press $2000 for 500 12" LPs special. (Includes all Mastering, Plating, Full Color Labels and Jackets (w/ 3mm Spine) on Upgraded 16pt. Stock!). Is it worth it?

Thanks!

I'd also like to know the answer to #3 as I'm looking to press my bands next album.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...