the How to Press a Record Thread

B9 orders all of our LP mailers from ULINE - they do sell individual ones and the quality is great... Not to mention you get your order the next day if you order by 5 or 6PM...

awesome, thanks for the input Chris.

What store system does B9 use?

We use Yahoo for the back-end, the front end was built from the ground up...

Anyone that has to read this thread to figure out how to release a record will not be getting any sort of significant distribution.

I think you need to be reminded, all of us "established labels" were not born with this info we've figured out by trial and error AND advice from other people who run labels.

so who's to say that any other label started with this information will not go on to get "significant distribution"?

Here are some:

Ebullition - www.ebullition.com

RevHQ - www.revhq.com

No Idea - www.noidearecords.com

Stickfigure - http://www.stickfiguredistro.com/

Independent Label Collective - www.ilcdistro.com

Revlover - http://www.midheaven.com/

These distros all deal on consignment, meaning you send them some records (if they want them) with an invoice. When they sell the records (maybe in 2 months, maybe in 2 years), they will pay you. These are main distributors that stores buy from, some of them also do mailorder direct as well. Interpunk also lets you sell direct too (they are just mailorder though, not a distributor). And of course Vinyl Collective has a killer webstore.

Not every distro will take your release, even on consignment. The best thing to do is to send the distributor a friendly email, with your wholesale cost and a nice good description of the release. If it sounds interesting, or if you put out a band that has other releases the distro carries, they might take some. Maybe check the rest of their catalog to see if your releases will fit in with what they carry. There are also plenty of other distributors depending on what type of music you deal in, these are the ones i'm familiar with.

Label Trades - search around, look for labels that have distros or webstores on their websites (and are carrying releases that are on other labels). Chances are they might be into trading. Send them your releases information and see if they would like to trade. Some do some don't. Some are picky, some aren't. I love trading, I recommend anyone who does a label should do it, but I know that not everyone can. Obviously you need an outlet to sell the records you get in trade. You can set up a box of records at shows you go to, or if you have a webstore on your website, this shouldn't be a problem.

I always tell people starting a label or thinking about starting one that sometimes it takes time to get established, especially if you are starting with unknown bands. Unless you are starting out the gate with a hyped / popular release. If you are just putting out smaller / local bands, it might take a few releases before people start to take your stuff, just keep at it. If your releases are good and they look good, people will eventually take notice.

what are some ballpark costs for each step?

Step One

can be $50-$100 to $1000 just depends who you use, or it could be free...but this step makes or breaks your record, so be happy with it or else.

Step Two

approx starting at $150-$180 and up

Step Three

around $200-$250

Step Four, pt 1

$50-80 per 1000 labels

Step Four, pt 2

this is a wide variable, too many factors to really give a stock answer, research this yourself.

Step Five

see imprints price list, they're all I use, so I endorse their pricing as the best.

Step Six

depending on where you live, but I order from Bags Unlimited, this varies to the amount you order

Step Seven

varies to what you order

Step Eight

free or up to $20 a month if you use bigcartel, i think cube cart is free, and there are other stores that are free as well.

Step Nine

varies on which service you use.

I think you need to be reminded, all of us "established labels" were not born with this info we've figured out by trial and error AND advice from other people who run labels.

so who's to say that any other label started with this information will not go on to get "significant distribution"?

Here are some:

Ebullition - www.ebullition.com

RevHQ - www.revhq.com

No Idea - www.noidearecords.com

Stickfigure - http://www.stickfiguredistro.com/

Independent Label Collective - www.ilcdistro.com

Revlover - http://www.midheaven.com/

These distros all deal on consignment, meaning you send them some records (if they want them) with an invoice. When they sell the records (maybe in 2 months, maybe in 2 years), they will pay you. These are main distributors that stores buy from, some of them also do mailorder direct as well. Interpunk also lets you sell direct too (they are just mailorder though, not a distributor). And of course Vinyl Collective has a killer webstore.

Not every distro will take your release, even on consignment. The best thing to do is to send the distributor a friendly email, with your wholesale cost and a nice good description of the release. If it sounds interesting, or if you put out a band that has other releases the distro carries, they might take some. Maybe check the rest of their catalog to see if your releases will fit in with what they carry. There are also plenty of other distributors depending on what type of music you deal in, these are the ones i'm familiar with.

Label Trades - search around, look for labels that have distros or webstores on their websites (and are carrying releases that are on other labels). Chances are they might be into trading. Send them your releases information and see if they would like to trade. Some do some don't. Some are picky, some aren't. I love trading, I recommend anyone who does a label should do it, but I know that not everyone can. Obviously you need an outlet to sell the records you get in trade. You can set up a box of records at shows you go to, or if you have a webstore on your website, this shouldn't be a problem.

I always tell people starting a label or thinking about starting one that sometimes it takes time to get established, especially if you are starting with unknown bands. Unless you are starting out the gate with a hyped / popular release. If you are just putting out smaller / local bands, it might take a few releases before people start to take your stuff, just keep at it. If your releases are good and they look good, people will eventually take notice.

also be warned, Kent from Ebullition will probably treat you like an asshole for daring to ask for him to take records on consignment with his distro. I once emailed him asking only to update my address with them and to see if they needed anything restocked that a previous distro had sold through them and he sent me the single most degrading "fuck you, who do you think you are?" response I've ever gotten in 10 years of running label(s)

There is a place in PA that sells bags called Something Special Enterprises. I hear they are CHEAP but they do not have a website so you need to call for a catalog (I think they do have email though). Never ordered from them but have heard good things.

(412) 487-2626

where do you get the pocket sleeves you used for the Deep Sleep 7"s?

There is a place in PA that sells bags called Something Special Enterprises. I hear they are CHEAP but they do not have a website so you need to call for a catalog (I think they do have email though). Never ordered from them but have heard good things.

(412) 487-2626

where do you get the pocket sleeves you used for the Deep Sleep 7"s?

Hamlett Printing in Nashville - www.hamlettprinting.com

I also encourage everyone to order your center labels from Hamlett as well, they do an incredible job and David Hamlett is cool as hell!!!

Thanks Justin for answering my artwork question.

Jason,

to further answer your question...most of the plants and printers have their own art templates(check the above web links, most if not all have templates that you can download.

Some places will accept camera ready art and they will convert it for you, usually for a fee. otherwise either figure out how to use their templates or find a friend who can do this for you, usually using Photoshop or Illustrator.

I hope this helps!

Hey Jason, some companies can take care of every step. Recordpressing in San Francisco presses vinyl records. They take care of the mastering, each step of the pressing of a vinyl, art work for a fee, as well as jackets, inserts, and any other packaging you need for your records. Sometimes they have pretty good specials on their twitter account. Hope this helps!

check them out at

www.recordpressing.com

http://twitter.com/Recordpressing

www.myspace.com/recordpressing

or call them 415.462.1992 ext 201 (Mark is their sales manager he's really nice/informative and answered all my questions)

Hey Jason, some companies can take care of every step. Recordpressing in San Francisco presses vinyl records. They take care of the mastering, each step of the pressing of a vinyl, art work for a fee, as well as jackets, inserts, and any other packaging you need for your records. Sometimes they have pretty good specials on their twitter account. Hope this helps!

check them out at

www.recordpressing.com

or call them 415.462.1992 ext 201 (Mark is their sales manager he's really nice/informative and answered all my questions)

I'll add this to the list, but I'm fairly sure RP.com is (now) a broker through Erika, where as they used to be the other GZ Media broker.

they have their own plant inside of Rainbo Records, from what I understand it is separate. Not sure who does their printing though.

And great work Justin. Fucking awesome.

check them out at

www.recordpressing.com

I'll add this to the list, but I'm fairly sure RP.com is (now) a broker through Erika, where as they used to be the other GZ Media broker.

Guest markovianprocess

Here is some advice, don't post a pre-order nearly 6 months before you have the records in hand. Amirite Virgil? ;)

Today:

http://www.vinylcollective.com/2010/02/24/photo-lizzie-huffman-and-her-brother-band-10/

Pre-order:

http://www.vinylcollective.com/2009/09/18/po-lizzie-huffman-and-her-brother-band-st-10-redburgandy-vinyl/

Here is some advice, don't post a pre-order nearly 6 months before you have the records in hand. Amirite Virgil? ;)

Today:

http://www.vinylcollective.com/2010/02/24/photo-lizzie-huffman-and-her-brother-band-10/

Pre-order:

http://www.vinylcollective.com/2009/09/18/po-lizzie-huffman-and-her-brother-band-st-10-redburgandy-vinyl/

still not as bad as the austin lucas pre order.

added a new download card suggestion from gravemistake.

Thanks dude. Sean has a pretty extensive list of labels/people he's done work for, mostly websites and oscommerce webstores (A-389, GRAVE MISTAKE, YOUNGBLOOD, DIRTNAP/GREEN NOISE, TANKCRIMES, REACT!, ABSENT, NO WAY / VINYL CONFLICT, SIX FEET UNDER, PASTEPUNK, lots more ...). Any one of these people can vouch for him. He did my Download card thing on the GM site and it's worked great for me. If you can afford it, he's worth it.

Unless they recently changed their association, RecordPressing.com does NOT use Ericka for their pressing...they use Rainbo. We did several projects through them in late 2008-through 2009 and this was definitely the case at that time. In case anyone cares, our experiences were not great.