the How to Press a Record Thread

When you talk about electro-plating you mentioned one company that does it for plants that don't do it in house. In house plants that do electro-plating are usually the people who build the lacquers or the people who press the records?

sometimes, some plants have on-site ability to do this, other places have it done for them by places like, but not limited to, Mastercraft.

the whole process can be done by one company or by two...Aardvark Mastering, I believe(but could be wrong), plates their lacquers themselves.

does this answer your question?

Yes...Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is fantastic, and I'm sure will come in handy once our band gains some momentum.

In the mean time, I'm looking for a few suggestions... I'd love to press our EP on vinyl, and I have some ideas, but we are fucking poor.

The EP is too long to fit on a 7" at 18 someodd minutes, so I thought it would be kind of cool to release it as a double 7" in a gatefold sleeve. After asking around, it looks like I'd have to order at least 1000 due to the custom packaging. I'm thinking maybe going DIY on this, make our own jackets, do our own artwork. Has anyone done this, do you guys have any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know of anywhere I could go to get a VERY limited run of records? Like, less than 100. Colour/splatter/split colour would be cool, but obviously costly.

No offense, but if your band can only sell 100 records, then you probably shouldn't be pressing vinyl.

Musicol will press 100 records though.

None taken.

My interest in pressing a EP does not involve the prospect of ANY profit at this point, either way, the issue isn't so much sales as the resources we have to front for something like this.

Thanks for the tip about Musicol though, they seem to have very reasonable prices at a glance.

just out of curiousity. how much do the bells and whistles bump up prices?

mainly i want to know how much ballpark

a 12" with sleeve and insert.

versus

a double 12" with sleeve and insert.

kind of a stupid question, but i'm really curious about it.

in qty of 500

ballpark a 12" with sleeve and insert.- $1,900.00-$2,200.00

+

ballpark a double 12" with sleeve and insert.$3,300-$3,600

could probably dial that down a little more accurately if I had time to think about it...

just out of curiousity. how much do the bells and whistles bump up prices?

Ok... so I'm also curious... If someone has energy and knowledge to answer this, I'd be very thankful...

Approximately, when you have the record at your doorstep, what would it cost for:

500 7" - black =

500 7" - colored =

250 7" - colored =

500 10" - black =

500 10" - colored =

250 10" - colored =

500 12" - black =

500 12" - colored =

250 12" - colored =

does it differ from color to color? Splatter? Marbled? More than one color?

• 2 weeks later...

also folks, sometimes it might cost a few bucks more but support your local record shops and indie printers as much as possible. Having someone local could in the future benefit you and them in the long run and help keep those doors open.

I got my poly sleeves from my favorite local record store, it cost a bit more but they really appreciated it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I love this thread and it's definitely a great starting place for new labels.

I've been trying to find ways to do cool packaging on the cheap. Has anyone ever tried scoring the paper themselves? If so, what did you use?

I've definitely hand folded lots of covers & inserts, there's no need to hand score it, ultimately if you fold like 20 copies of anything you get faster and faster the more you d it...so when you do 50-400 it gets to be pretty automatic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Justin for putting this together. I'm starting a label with a couple of friends and our first band's record release party is at Mercury Lounge, imo a legendary NYC venue, in two weeks. Without these resources we probably would've never have gotten this thing off the ground and certainly wouldn't have been able to be so cost effective with it.

I don't get to come out to this site as often as I'd like, but the resources from this thread I have taken and use daily. So again Justin, Wax Off says thanks.

Thanks Justin for putting this together. I'm starting a label with a couple of friends and our first band's record release party is at Mercury Lounge, imo a legendary NYC venue, in two weeks. Without these resources we probably would've never have gotten this thing off the ground and certainly wouldn't have been able to be so cost effective with it.

I don't get to come out to this site as often as I'd like, but the resources from this thread I have taken and use daily. So again Justin, Wax Off says thanks.

no problem at all, glad it's helping you out!

I migrated the first posts info to my website, so I'm going to start keeping this more up to date and will eventually delete the info in the first post and link it over to my page:

http://undercomm.org/blog/?page_id=37