the How to Press a Record Thread

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked this out and figured I would try and help out with distributor info. Here is what I can contribute if it is helpful. These are companies in the States. Other territories are a whole other beast. Will probably forget a couple, but these are all places for the punk/indie world. All of these work with labels on an exclusive basis, and some that do work with labels non-exclusively.

PHYSICAL

Smaller: Stickfigure, Ebullition, Carrot Top, Sound of California, Cockroach Media.

Small/Medium: Revelation, Independent Label Collective, No Idea, Chicago Independent.

Medium/Large: Revolver, Red Eye, Nail.

Large: ADA/WEA, RED/Sony, Fontana/Universal, Caroline/EMI.

One stops are very important too (AEC, Super D, Edge).

Digital:

IODA

INgrooves

Tunecore

+ Pretty much all the physical places listed above.

Just checked this out and figured I would try and help out with distributor info. Here is what I can contribute if it is helpful. These are companies in the States. Other territories are a whole other beast. Will probably forget a couple, but these are all places for the punk/indie world. All of these work with labels on an exclusive basis, and some that do work with labels non-exclusively.

PHYSICAL

Smaller: Stickfigure, Ebullition, Carrot Top, Sound of California, Cockroach Media.

Small/Medium: Revelation, Independent Label Collective, No Idea, Chicago Independent.

Medium/Large: Revolver, Red Eye, Nail.

Large: ADA/WEA, RED/Sony, Fontana/Universal, Caroline/EMI.

One stops are very important too (AEC, Super D, Edge).

Digital:

IODA

INgrooves

Tunecore

+ Pretty much all the physical places listed above.

Add Deathwish Direct to that list as well.

Thanks.

-J.

Lets talk 2 x LP! I am working on my first 2xlp and I'm trying to price everything. I will be doing gatefold covers (I've priced this with Imprint) and I am planning color vinyl. The project only needs 3 sides of a double LP.

I should be able to save a little (one lacquer and one plate cost), right?

Has anyone done something similar to this? How much did it cost? I'm planning to do 500 copies.

Lets talk 2 x LP! I am working on my first 2xlp and I'm trying to price everything. I will be doing gatefold covers (I've priced this with Imprint) and I am planning color vinyl. The project only needs 3 sides of a double LP.

I should be able to save a little (one lacquer and one plate cost), right?

Has anyone done something similar to this? How much did it cost? I'm planning to do 500 copies.

Yeah, if you have only 3 sides, and one of the sides is just blank, you will save a bit of money. Not all that much in the big scheme of things. You'd probably save around 200 or so, depending on who's doing your mastering, since there will be one less lacquer.

The blank side would probably save about 50 bucks for plating. But.. most plants will still charge you for a blank stamper. Usually something like 50 bucks or something.

So your looking at saving around 200 bucks or so, by only doing 3 sides as opposed to four. Give or take, all depends on who your using..

My guestimate if you are using the direct to board double gatefold from Imprint, would be 4000 at bare minimum, probably more around 5000 start to finish though, 500 gatefolds are typically the same price or only very slightly cheaper than just doing 1000. I would personally do 1000 just in the off chance that it sells well, you won't have to shell out the printing cost's again for a repress.

Double LP's are not cheap at all. They are usually a tad more than even doing two completely seperate pressings. double gatefold jackets are extremely expensive compared to single LP jackets, and Imprint, and Dorado have the best prices on those right now

How is it ridiculous? It is essentially just two LPs whose jackets are attached. The same amount of work goes into it.

I suppose so...it was mostly sticker shock that inspired the post. It is still one record though. It actually can end up more than 2 individual records.

And Justin-I looked into that but the label has specific requirements for the release including a gatefold, 8 panel 11x11 insert, matte varnish and spot gloss. It may end up being something I pass on to someone else. My COST would end up being 12 bucks + in each record. I think I'd rather do 2 individual records.

• 2 weeks later...
How is it ridiculous? It is essentially just two LPs whose jackets are attached. The same amount of work goes into it.

I suppose so...it was mostly sticker shock that inspired the post. It is still one record though. It actually can end up more than 2 individual records.

And Justin-I looked into that but the label has specific requirements for the release including a gatefold, 8 panel 11x11 insert, matte varnish and spot gloss. It may end up being something I pass on to someone else. My COST would end up being 12 bucks + in each record. I think I'd rather do 2 individual records.

woof, yeah if your unit cost is going to be $12 each...wow that's a lot of money.

woof, yeah if your unit cost is going to be $12 each...wow that's a lot of money.

all my records end up costing around $12 being an australian label :(

Anybody ever did business with RIP-V (rip-v.com) from Montreal? Your toughts about it please.

They do pressing and pressing only!

You need to supply lacquers and plates.

I talked to em a little bit, they seemed not to care too much. But maybe they were just having a bad day? j

I think they are rather limited as far as colors and such as well, but don't quote me on that..

in my experience, the length per side affects the functionality ofmamrecord allot more than the sound quality... with longer sides not only do you run the risk of lower volume/groove echo/distortion/etc but also you run the risk of having a record that skates easily, doesn't separate well from the press (causing the worst noise possible) and grooves that kiss and/or cross, which causes skipping.