the How to Press a Record Thread

Guys, I'm hoping you can share some insight and opinions on recent vinyl quality coming out of the various plants.

I never know where most of the records I buy have been pressed but I always appreciate it when I get a more substantial record as opposed to a flimsy feeling one.

Any advice on which plants are pressing nice solid vinyl without having to go to 180g? Aside from the ones done by Pirates Press (which I love but Im not looking to go dmm) I thought the Dave Hause LP (from Gotta Groove?) felt pretty sturdy.

Rainbo has been always great to me, heavy 155-165 gram vinyl, standard and pretty quick, never had so much as a warped record from em, and they can do anything that any other plant can, just have to talk to em about it. Gotta Groove is really effing expensive. you can use RTI for almost the same price. Price+quality+customer service, Rainbo rules on all fronts

Thanks for the reply! I emailed Rainbo and they replied saying "Our standard weight for 12” is between 138 and 143 grams." and that the next step up is 180 gram. Did you work out a deal with them for the 155-165g?

usually you want records to run the weight the molds on the machine were machined to run. most modern molds are machined to make ~140g records (older ones around 120g). it's not to say you can't make a heavier record on those molds, but you can really sacrifice sound quality on the first couple of songs running records heavier than the molds intend. the gotta groove standard weight machines tend to run 140g color and 150g black no problem, and we get well over that on some jobs, but only when we're lucky enough to have it allow us to run that heavy. running too heavy means the vinyl has very little opportunity to fill the grooves at the edge of the record, so if your cut isn't just right and/or the stamper isn't completely flat, you could get serious nonfill on heavier records. 180g records are run on a completley different machine for all the reasons i've just described. they need to start with a bigger biscuit, and the record is a completely different shape/profile than a standard weight record.

Guys, I'm hoping you can share some insight and opinions on recent vinyl quality coming out of the various plants.

I never know where most of the records I buy have been pressed but I always appreciate it when I get a more substantial record as opposed to a flimsy feeling one.

Any advice on which plants are pressing nice solid vinyl without having to go to 180g? Aside from the ones done by Pirates Press (which I love but Im not looking to go dmm) I thought the Dave Hause LP (from Gotta Groove?) felt pretty sturdy.

Bill Smith Custom Records

• 1 month later...

Rainbo quoted over $1200 for shipping and dont seem willing to use anyone other than UPS so thats them out unfortunately.

Pirates Press said they dont have to use dmm and can plate from lacquers too. Anyone here ever done that with them?

GottaGroove are on the cards too. Their vinyl seems really nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread, would've been real helpful when we first started Ripple Music and had to figure all this stuff out on our own.

As a general rule, we use Pirates Press and we've been very happy with the quality, timeliness, and results. They're also easy to work with and definitely guided us through the process when we were newbies and didn't know what mastering meant. All art, and production work is handled through them (our graphics guy does the art and sets it to meet their templates.)

We did a couple projects through Gotta Groove Records and they were fine also, but Pirates was easier to deal with and more responsible to our timelines.

By the way, we've done plain black 12", 12" double-LP gatefold, 7" split singles, double 7"-gatefold, and double LP multi-colored vinyl gatefold projects so we've pretty much run the gamut and Pirates has always delivered.

As a general cost issue, a run of 500 12" black vinyl, with all work done inhouse at Pirates tends to run around $2500. That's a loose number, so don't hold me to that, but as we shopped around it seems pretty standard. That includes covers, labels, dropcards, etc.

Our newest project is a single 12" LP with a gatefold, the CD with extra bonus cuts placed into a pocket on the inside of the Gatefold cover, and a dropcard with even more digital download bonus cuts (like a whole live show). So there's really no end to what you can configure.

We did look once into extras like an embossed cover, but it's really expensive and multi-colored vinyl is a big cost over black vinyl, and I'm not really sure it's worth it. Looks cool, but I'm not convinced fans care for the look of the vinyl.

My 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, my first post here. Anyhow, I'm looking to start my own label. But I'm confused in regards to physical distro.

I see on United's distro form, I need a tax ID. for my business? What is this and how do I get it? Is a independent label really considered a business? and does that mean I have to pay taxes on this label every year too?

Is it not as simple legally as recording music, paying to have it pressed and selling it?

nothing is simple. You will be a business and have to pay taxes. You can register the label however as a sole proprietorship, which means the taxes will just be part of your annual tax return, and any losses (and costs) will be tax write offs for you.

At Ripple Music, we formed a LLC because there were two of us, so we couldn't be a sole proprietorship

• 3 weeks later...
If there are only CDs of a record left, no original unmastered tracks, could it be mastered for vinyl still? The CD tracks. What would the outcome be like?

How does it work, with licenses? is an "ok" in an email just fine, or do you need signatures and stuff?

it can be done...it's not a perfect/ideal situation, but if the masters are lost...it is possible to create a new master of sorts in this manner.

If you're for real licensing the record from a label that either still exists, or is still somewhat around, ie: especially if you're paying licensing fees or giving up a portion of the pressing to the label, aside from the band getting a portion of the pressing... you should have it in writing.

But if it's something you have worked out via email with the band and/or now defunct label that it's something that came out a long time ago...and it's in the odd territory of most likely ownership reverting back to the band, a general permission in writing via email should suffice.

basically if all the parties involved know you're doing it and are ok with that and aren't bringing up the need to be compensated or setting up a contract, then you're not bootlegging it and an email stating that you have permission will do the trick if anyone ever questions you.

the biggest issues come up when you license something from a label and the band is never involved and they find out after the fact and usually get angry about it publicly.

Hey, if you do not mind divulging, what is a good contact for No Idea as far as distro goes. Is it still var on that, i suppose. The contact has disappeared from the no idea faq over the years, understandably i'm sure. But if you do have that e-mail.. ya know. It would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey, if you do not mind divulging, what is a good contact for No Idea as far as distro goes. Is it still var on that, i suppose. The contact has disappeared from the no idea faq over the years, understandably i'm sure. But if you do have that e-mail.. ya know. It would be appreciated.

I would try [email protected], but be patient, she's a very busy lady.

• 4 weeks later...
So 300 would be the best small number to press as far as making some money and not completely losing on?

The ideal number of vinyl records to press and ensure you do not lose money on them is zero.

this is pretty dead-on accurate.

I've put out nearly 60 records, 10-15 of them have actually paid for themselves.

Doing 100 is possible.

EKS has a deal.

Special Package Deal: 100 Records for $695

includes:

100 12” records with a solid white or solid black label

White or Black die-cut jacket

Note: This is a one-strike process, so the ability to re-press

or make more than 500 to 600 records is limited.

http://www.eksmfg.com/12inch.htm