the How to Press a Record Thread

So 300 would be the best small number to press as far as making some money and not completely losing on?

The ideal number of vinyl records to press and ensure you do not lose money on them is zero.

Hah, that sounds about right. Not it in for money though, I just want to lose the least amount of money possible :P

Doing 100 is possible.

EKS has a deal.

Special Package Deal: 100 Records for $695

includes:

100 12” records with a solid white or solid black label

White or Black die-cut jacket

Note: This is a one-strike process, so the ability to re-press

or make more than 500 to 600 records is limited.

http://www.eksmfg.com/12inch.htm

That sounds nice i'll check that out. Not looking for anything too fancy anyway ;)

okay so lets say you have a CD that you love that was never pressed on vinyl. the original label was started by the singer of the band and they have not put out any other release of anything but this one, and they havent updated their website in 3 years. Would it be acceptable to approach the individual about pressing their record? i guess the process would involve access to the master tapes (files?) which i would then forward along to the plants, etc. id be willing to lose money to get this record out, even though i think it could sell a few hundred copies easily. what sort of royalty would be expected in this situation? Thanks up front.

okay so lets say you have a CD that you love that was never pressed on vinyl. the original label was started by the singer of the band and they have not put out any other release of anything but this one, and they havent updated their website in 3 years. Would it be acceptable to approach the individual about pressing their record? i guess the process would involve access to the master tapes (files?) which i would then forward along to the plants, etc. id be willing to lose money to get this record out, even though i think it could sell a few hundred copies easily. what sort of royalty would be expected in this situation? Thanks up front.

in general, expect to give the band 10-15% of the pressing as gratuity for doing the release, same with the label...or paying up front royalties in lieu of records.

yes you would need the masters audio files if they are available.

If your interested in having your label / bands records sold in the Barrett Records distro shoot us an e-mail at [email protected]

Most cases we will take records on commission and pay monthly via paypal or check.

http://www.barrettrecords.net

I'm just wondering about this

My band is trying to do a small run of a 7"

Are you'se only looking for established, label backed bands?

Is it a bigcartel-like system where you simply list our records or what?

I just want to know if you would even bother with a tiny band or if it doesn't matter

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone got any experience of pressing and split shipping to US/Europe? Looking to get 250/300 12" done and have half to the band in the States and half to me in the UK - think pressing in the US will be cheaper but the shipping cost may well be expensive. Any ideas? I've looked around a bit at US plants and Pirates Press looks pretty good, but not sure on too many others. Are lyrics / credits sheets done at most US plants?

Anyone got any experience of pressing and split shipping to US/Europe? Looking to get 250/300 12" done and have half to the band in the States and half to me in the UK - think pressing in the US will be cheaper but the shipping cost may well be expensive. Any ideas? I've looked around a bit at US plants and Pirates Press looks pretty good, but not sure on too many others. Are lyrics / credits sheets done at most US plants?

for something like that, I'd say it might be easier to just go through Pirate's Press...but it's going to be super expensive either way.

you can get the lyric sheets printed by the plants, but save yourself the shipping weight alone and just print them locally.

Heya everyone... I posted this outside this thread, but now that I'm looking around a bit more, maybe more appropriate in here?

Heya

This is Wells over at Solid MFG/86'd Records. I just wanted to drop an note with info about our LP Jackets, Gatefolds, and Inner Sleeves printing services. You can check us out at http://getsolidmfg.com for a full rundown... but here are some bullet points:

• Free U.S. Shipping

• Free Overrun

• Top Quality Production

• Simple Online Ordering and Tracking

If you have any questions at all or if you'd like to get a sample of our work, just e-mail me back at [email protected] or give me a call at 631-487-7513.

Thanks very much for checking us out!

Wells

ps. Hi everyone I already know in here!

-

http://getsolidmfg.com

http://86drecordsandfanzine.com

for something like that, I'd say it might be easier to just go through Pirate's Press...but it's going to be super expensive either way.

you can get the lyric sheets printed by the plants, but save yourself the shipping weight alone and just print them locally.

Thanks a lot for the tip. I've contacted them for an estimate, waiting to hear back.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow great list, but you might want to mention for manufacturing www.nwdigitalinc.com, great place for vinyl pressing and cd dvd replication.

Also www.musicrecordshop.com for selling and marketing your music

Your gatefolds are cheaper than your regular jackets.

I think you have the thinnest vinyl in the world. 100 gram?! Who do you broker through to get such paper thin vinyl?

• 2 months later...