Vinyl: The Truth!

Saw this little blurb as part of a write-up for an eBay auction...very fitting to share it with the board:

"Give your ears the bleeding they're needing and select the artist's choice - vinyl.

VINYL RECORDS - Vinyl records are able to capture the purest quality of recorded music in true form. This is possible because the initial recording is captured on an analog source (usually tape) for the ultimate in High Fidelity sound, it is then pressed onto virgin vinyl. Analog recordings capture the bottom end (or bass) while adding sweetness to the high end (or treble) better than any digital recording ever could. Analog systems are still commonly used before they are digitally transferred to CD. This means that the sound then is altered in the transfer process when CD's are produced. The word fidelity means accuracy and faithfulness. High Fidelity sound is faithful to the original sound made by the artist, capturing maximum accuracy of what was intended for the listener to hear. Vinyl records capture those sounds for the ultimate High Fidelity listening experience!"

Guest scriptedrain

Why boo?!

Why isn't more tape produced? Digital age?

- Jeff

I would just be guessing but digital age seems right. Doing things digitally is much, much cheaper and the equipment is easier to come by.

I would've thought the film industry would've hit this stride faster than the music one. Film creators often refuse to go digital because they want that "look", why wouldn't people in the music industry refuse for that "sound", especially considering you have one primary sense for music as opposed to two for movies?

- Jeff

who here still makes actual mix TAPES? i made one for my girlfriend last week. i wanted to record the songs i had on records directly from the vinyl, but the tape deck i use to record tapes fuckin' broke (theres a really nice sony cassette deck downstairs, still unused by my parents, but i havent gotten the chance to take it for myself, yet... probably once i get the old receiver that's downstairs, too). so i had to record it from a cd.

but i've always compiled the songs on iTunes. next time i plan not to, and make sure myself that it doesn't run over 45 minutes (for one side)

they actually stopped producing audio recording tape -- i think it was last year.

i have heard this as well. a friend of mine went to school for jazz guitar at UMass Amherst and was telling me that they have a storeroom full of analog tapes to fulfill their needs for as long as they can. once theyre gone, thats it. unless someone picks up the ball.

they actually stopped producing audio recording tape -- i think it was last year.

i have heard this as well. a friend of mine went to school for jazz guitar at UMass Amherst and was telling me that they have a storeroom full of analog tapes to fulfill their needs for as long as they can. once theyre gone, thats it. unless someone picks up the ball.

i first heard about it from my old audio production instructor from my media production course. he told me the school was worried about running out of tape, even though they've recently moved most of their studios to protools. they still teach students to work with tape...i even learned how to splice when i was there.

who here still makes actual mix TAPES? i made one for my girlfriend last week. i wanted to record the songs i had on records directly from the vinyl, but the tape deck i use to record tapes fuckin' broke (theres a really nice sony cassette deck downstairs, still unused by my parents, but i havent gotten the chance to take it for myself, yet... probably once i get the old receiver that's downstairs, too). so i had to record it from a cd.

but i've always compiled the songs on iTunes. next time i plan not to, and make sure myself that it doesn't run over 45 minutes (for one side)

i make a couple of mix tapes every month or two. they're for the station vehicle we take when we go out in the field reporting...it's only got a cassette deck and the damn old radio, and i hate listening to the radio. so i make some tapes with my records and it's beautiful.

my mistake, not ALL manufacturers have ceased production but there's only two small labs that still do:

http://www.gearwire.com/quantegy-ends-tape-sales.html

So typical of our idiotic digital generation. Everyone out there is spoonfed the idea that digital=better, they fail to see all the great things about analog medium. All the dumbfuck Americans out there would rather have the 'simplicity' of digital than anything else.

Its just like photography. One of the greatest films ever produced, Kodachrome, is on the verge of becoming extinct. There is only one known lab in the entire US that can even develop the stuff. No other imaging medium (transparency, digital or otherwise) can reproduce colors and tones the way Kodachrome can. It will be a sad day when it is gone. :'(

well, it certainly can't be blamed solely on americans. music is produced all over the world.

Well, in the case of film photography, it is still the preferred choice in many other countries around the world. So thats why I said "Americans", I'm not sure what the situation is like for music recordings.