How much distance should there be between the cart

...did it come pre-installed? If so, it should be correctly done, or I would chew out the company you purchased from. Either way, if the music is effected, then increase the weight of the counterbalance and set the anti-skate accordingly. If the music sounds correct, then leave it. Or, all in all, call the factory who produced the table, or call the distributor who installed your cartridge.

People here can't see what you're talking about, and to my knowledge, none of us work for these companies! Call.

Just remembered that the Debut doesn't have a built in VTA adjustment (just like Music Halls and Regas) - and since the cart was pre-installed, I definitely think you have no reason to worry. If you are not using the stock felt mat, go back to using it. Thicker mats can affect VTA slightly - besides causing the cart to ride closer to the record surface, it can also cause inner groove distortion.

I really think you have nothing to worry about.