CONVERGE - JANE DOE Repress & Reissue & More Official Thread!

and now, we have identified both of the two people he was referring to who solely want to listen to this record.

You're supposed to listen to these things?!?!?

Fuuuuuuck...what am I gonna do with all the awesome picture frames I bought for these?!?!

i hope you kept the receipts!!

I'm not pissed off in any manner. I want this record to spin and listen to. I like it a lot and would love to hear it on vinyl.

I'm not even complaining about this specific release or any release in general. I'm expressing my disagreement with the idea of buying something on the faith that it's going to eventually be put out. Sometimes things happen - pressing plants get backed up, a sinkhole swallows up some key ingredient in the deal - customers should not have to be exposed to this risk. The company should do a little research and see how popular an item might be, press it, sell it once they start physically assembling the complete packages, and ship them off immediately. If it sells out, make some more. If it doesn't, then you've got leftover stock that you have to deal with.

When people announce preorders and say "there's 1000 made in these 3 colors" they aren't gauging how much they need, they're funding the release. We're not investors, we're consumers.

I just think it's incredibly unethical to take people's money for something that doesn't exist, especially without specifying a street date, and more especially when there's such a high chance of any possible street date not being met.

Announce the product when things are concrete: that's all I'm saying. That way we don't have whatever club product xxmartinxx always brings up that he hasn't seen in 7 years or something, or In the Red Vol 1.5, or releases like the last Brand New record pressed. There's no headaches for anyone, because no one puts anything on the table until it's all said and done. Why is that so hard to do?

Epitaph does it right. They put Frank Turner's last album up and 4 or 5 days later it was on my record player. More labels should do this.

If your preorders fund your releases, you're too close to the margin and that's unstable anyway, so you should probably try saving up a bit more money before starting your garage label.

I'm not pissed off in any manner. I want this record to spin and listen to. I like it a lot and would love to hear it on vinyl.

I'm not even complaining about this specific release or any release in general. I'm expressing my disagreement with the idea of buying something on the faith that it's going to eventually be put out. Sometimes things happen - pressing plants get backed up, a sinkhole swallows up some key ingredient in the deal - customers should not have to be exposed to this risk. The company should do a little research and see how popular an item might be, press it, sell it once they start physically assembling the complete packages, and ship them off immediately. If it sells out, make some more. If it doesn't, then you've got leftover stock that you have to deal with.

When people announce preorders and say "there's 1000 made in these 3 colors" they aren't gauging how much they need, they're funding the release. We're not investors, we're consumers.

I just think it's incredibly unethical to take people's money for something that doesn't exist, especially without specifying a street date, and more especially when there's such a high chance of any possible street date not being met.

Announce the product when things are concrete: that's all I'm saying. That way we don't have whatever club product xxmartinxx always brings up that he hasn't seen in 7 years or something, or In the Red Vol 1.5, or releases like the last Brand New record pressed. There's no headaches for anyone, because no one puts anything on the table until it's all said and done. Why is that so hard to do?

Epitaph does it right. They put Frank Turner's last album up and 4 or 5 days later it was on my record player. More labels should do this.

If your preorders fund your releases, you're too close to the margin and that's unstable anyway, so you should probably try saving up a bit more money before starting your garage label.

sure, some "garage labels" have problems (ie. not too stoked about the way the strongarm repress is coming along) but all this talk doesnt really belong in this thread because deathwish, in general, does not have technical / logistical problems with their releases. anyone who buys from them with any sort of frequency would know that. now that they have hit some snags though -- they clearly stated they've remedied the situation by moving the releases they could to another manufacturer and are pushing the ones they couldnt along.

i just love how people whined for two years about when the preorder for the record was going to go up. then it finally did and it hits a snag and then everyone goes back to whining. would people have rather it went up for order 2 yrs ago when they announced it and had it go to press this may? my guess is no. shit happens. and if you dont like to preorder records, then just dont preorder records.

oh, you regulars and your snarky one-liners. ya kill me, ya just kill me.

you've been registered here longer than i have, sir.

i just don't get why you're saying talk about the potential pit-falls of pre-ordering doesn't belong in a string of comments regarding, well, pre-orders.

regardless of the frequency of deathwish's problems, the majority of the time, they're out of the labels hands, so these snafus can happen to anyone, regardless of previous fabulous pre-order records. so his discussion is absolutely relevant, whether i agree with it or not.

To elaborate (probably unnecessarily) on my original post:

It's become far too common practice to have customers finance most of the cost of putting out the record. Personally, I don't love the idea of this, but if it helps get records out, I'm okay with it. Where I start having a problem with it is when a label makes something available for preorder that hasn't been sent to the plant to be pressed (in this case it appears that it hadn't even been mastered yet). Mastering can take weeks or months, test presses can take weeks, if you reject a test press, add more weeks, it might have to be remastered, more weeks, then once the test presses have been approved there's about a month for it to be pressed and then shipped out.

I guess I can understand the mentality of, "I've waited X amount of time, I can wait more time", but doesn't make it right. I paid my money immediately for something and I expect to have it in a reasonable amount of time. I don't think that's being a complainer.

DW is a classier operation than most, so I'm not worried about the records never coming, but not every label is. In this "preorder culture" we've found ourselves in, I think it's our duty to the record buying public to say "WTF?" when preorders are late. Late preorders lead to preorders that never come. Trust me, I know from experience.

Why do customers need to buck up and deal with it? Why don't labels buck up and protect customers from those hold-ups?

Protect customers from these hold-ups? Seriously? It's a record.

When your gma's insuline doesn't show up on time because of production delays, complain.

When your pre-ordered record doesn't show up... wait for it. You'll live.