Best/Worse Live Bands (that you like)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best:

The Riverboat Gamblers

MONOTONIX

(^^^these two are tied for best live show I've ever seen)

The Murder City Devils

The Mars Volta

Explosions In The Sky

Tim Barry

Against Me!

Dexateens

The Coathangers

Those Darlins

Mogwai

WORST:

My Chemical Blowass (had the misfortune of watching them open for Reggie and the Full Effect years and years ago) didn't care for them then, nor now

Spoon (don't like his music to begin with...boring...boring fucking show) missed the (That You Like) part

Okkervil River (biggest disapointment I've seen in quite some time)

World Inferno/Friendship Society (heard so much hype...didn't care for this freak-show at all)

Darkest Hour (another massive shit-fest...at least when i saw them)

Jesse Lacey solo....Really...Really...Really boring show

Blink-182 (holy hell)

Fenix TX/RiverFenix (probably the worst band live I've ever seen)

The Starting Line (at one point in time I really liked this band...saw them live twice and found it unlistenable both times)

Sum-41 (used to like these guys as well, caught two songs of them at Warped years ago...left after two songs because it was that bad)

all i can think of off the top of my head that really stand out as great or complete shit

OWTH are great live, they just play really short sets.

My favorites would be...

Polar Bear Club

Against Me!

Broadway Calls

Andrew Jackson Jihad

There aren't many bands I like that I hated when I saw live. I've seen a number of bandslive that I hated, though. Be it openers, or headliners who I only saw for the openers.

BEST:

Lucero (They didn't get drunk oddly, and played amazingly. Ben came out for an encore, played Outsiders by Red 40, and they all finished it with My Best Girl and All Sewn Up.)

Ben Nichols

Less Than Jake (Hilarious and engaging. Played a lot of good tunes and were damn energetic. Chris put a bra on his head, and Roger made a fat guy crowd surf after drinking some of their beer.)

La Dispute (One of the most epic performances I've seen from a band of the sort. Super nice dudes.)

Thursday (Geoff sounds great live. Nice dudes, as well. They put on a good show.)

Alexisonfire (These guys put on an epic performance every time they play. They sound great, too. Also engaging.)

Say Anything (These dudes have fun. Max Bemis' singing dances he does are great.)

Against Me! (What needs to be said?)

WORST:

3OH!3 (Warped Tour, waiting for a friends sister.)

Fall of Troy (Thomas is a douche and their fans are fucking ANNOYING.)

Katy Perry (Warped. For laughs, and so my friend could scream "SHOW YOUR TITS.")

Thursday (Geoff sounds great live...)

When did that change? The only times I ever saw them were touring for Full Collapse, and I saw videos of them playing live for War All The Time, and all either of those experiences reinforced to me was that that guy absolutely can not sing.

Energetic performer, yes. And maybe he's gotten better. But from my experiences, he couldn't sing live, and isn't that great on record without a lot of "help."

That said, they were a pretty great live band, when I saw them.

Best:

Tim Barry

NOFX (They played the entire decline and like 6,000 other songs that night)

Trio

Cursive

LTJ

Lagwagon

Sick of it all

and I think most of us agree on Against Me!

Worst:

NOFX (sloppy drunk, slurring words, stopping songs half-way through)

Blink 182

Skarhead (Ok, I don't like them, but I saw them and their 14 singers and it was awful)

Worst

Anti Flag - spend 1/2 the time bitching about the gov't

...but this is what you get yourself into when you go see Anti-Flag, so you really can't complain about this aspect of their live sets.

Citing them on incorrect information and statistics they state on stage...yeah maybe there's an argument point there, but all this band has ever done is got up and played and bitched about the government.

Best (sorry for the length, but these bands have never let me down):

Thrice, HWM/Chuck, Against Me!, Sparta, mewithoutYou, Cursive, Flogging Molly, Lucero/Ben Nichols, Andrew Bird, The Swell Season, Gaslight Anthem (true, the crowds can be awful, but I always have fun), Iron & Wine

Worst:

Alkaline Trio (the only time I saw them was Good Mourning tour. They played a super short <1hr set, a poor set as far as I was concerned, and took 1.5hrs to set up fog machines, coffins, etc...huge disappointment)

Best:

One Word: Slayer

now some others:

- Jawbreaker (except for the last show i saw them with the foo-fighters). they played 20 minutes and i couldn't get up close enough. They were the opening act

- Melvins - 5 Hour Melvins set at Liberty Lunch. with 2 30 minute intermissions. So really 4 hours.

- Riverboat Gamblers - probably one of my favorite live bands to date.

- Samiam (i think maybe because i know every word to every song so i sing like it's their last show every time)

- Wesley Willis (c'mon... the dudes a legend. got to see him 1st with brown hornet.. which was like a lazy Naked City)

- Torche - Fuckin' Brutal

- Green Day - (hey it was 92' and i was psyched they came to my town.. fuck off. the vet's hall was so packed I was ringing water out of my shirt and mike almost hit a cop with a bass)

- Nofx - Touring for that WTTHAAB album. Fuck it was fun as shit.

Worst:

Nada Surf: I almost passed out standing up. Love their tunes.. live it's fuckin' boring.

Brian Jonestown Massacre: I went outside to smoke a cigarette, got a slice of pizza, went back upstairs, and they were still playing the same mundane song. Fuck that band!!!

Azure Ray - snore fest...

Rush: Ok, maybe it doesn't count, but i passed out at a RUSH concert once.. does that mean they sucked???

-

Guest naytoid

Best: The Aquabats!

Worst: Fear Factory (Was looking forward to this, they sounded like shit, as soon as they finished 'Self Biased Resistor' I left... Had to sit through an entire set of DevilDriver's shit for nothing.)

Best:

Suicide Machines

Less Than Jake

Tool

David Byrne

Worst:

Blood Brothers

Gym Class Heroes (saw them on one of their first tours and thought they had a lot of potential, but every time has been worse since then)

Ben Harper

Nofx

Thursday (way too scripted)

Terrible and Great at the same time:

Crystal Castles

Best:

Strike Anywhere

The Aggrolites

Tim Barry

Worst:

Crime In Stereo (I've only seen them once, but waaaay disappointing)

Murder By Death (love this band, but live show is boring as hell)

Yeah Crime in Stereo is awful live. Every time I've seen them they're terrible and most of the band doesn't look like they even want to be there.

Best:

EVERY TIME I DIE, Hot Water Music, Against Me!, Moneen, Strike Anywhere, Minus The Bear, The Streets, The Get Up Kids, Madball

Worst:

BANE, The Explosion (I actually hate this band, but they are easily the worst live band I have ever seen, and I've unfortunately seen them three or four times), Small Brown Bike, Hey Mercedes, Blink 182

Best:

Strike Anywhere

The Aggrolites

Tim Barry

Worst:

Crime In Stereo (I've only seen them once, but waaaay disappointing)

Murder By Death (love this band, but live show is boring as hell)

Totally forgot about the Aggrolites. Last summer right after their new album dropped, they played like a 2 hour set. Was a great set, and didn't feel long at all. Jesse always engages the crowd and shit.

There's so many ways to break this up.

Best sounding: Dream Theater, Between the Buried and Me, Thrice (right after Vheissu)

Most fun: Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Bowling for Soup, Larry and His Flask

Most disappointing: Alkaline Trio (last summer)

Worst sounding: Driversideimpact, Metro Station (they were opening for another band i wanted to see), A Day to Remember