Starting a New Label - 1st Release Suggestions?

So I'm going to try my hand at starting my own independent record label. I've gotten some great input from a few established guys (Gilead, Vega), and I've got a few ideas for my first release. Not sure what would make the best first release though. I wanted to press something that hasn't been on vinyl before, either new or something older that was overlooked. Here's my thoughts so far:

1. The Postman Syndrome - Terraforming

2/3. maudlin of the Well - Bath & Leaving Your Body Map

4. Irepress - Samus Octology

5. East of the Wall - Farmer's Almanac

I contacted the guys in East of the Wall about pressing Terraforming, but didn't get a response. Not sure if that one is going to go through. Haven't yet approached Toby Driver about the motW albums. Not sure how many fans are out there. I know if people heard them, they'd be hooked, they are/were amazing. Proggy Death Metal with hints of about 10 other styles across each album. For fans of Opeth, Isis, Porcupine Tree, Kayo Dot, Tiamat (the album Wildhoney was a huge influence on the motW sound initially).

What are your thoughts?

yeah you should probably get approval from labels, bands, etc before talking about putting them out.

that being said, years ago a friend brought the bass player from The Postman Syndrome to my radio show to hang out and the dude took his clothes off and was naked the whole night, it was awkward.

The argument that people keep bringing up when someone even thinks up starting a new level has been getting aggravating. Just like the flipping (sellers & buyers) argument.

If the dude has the money, passion, and resources to start a label to press some of his favorite bands records to vinyl, by all means go for it. There's no need for other labels or people to be the Record Label Police (expect some jackass to create that profile soon I'm sure) to dictate who can or cannot start a label.

Shawn...go for it dude. There are plenty of dudes on this board who run labels and would be more than glad to assist and answer questions.

Juan is off his soapbox now.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':2tebuqs0]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':2tebuqs0]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

I definitely understand that I need to have the band's and the label's approval prior to doing any of this. I did hesitate before posting this because all of this is in the conceptual stages, but I was just looking for input from people to see if there would be any interest in the releases I would like to press. Like I said, I was contacting the dudes from EotW (former members of postman syndrome) regarding the Terraforming pressing. I didn't want to send out a bunch of requests to different bands/labels simply because I can only afford to do one release at a time. That said, is there any more interest in the potential releases I listed in my first post?

i think the dude is just kicking around ideas man.

we can't even think about thinking about pressing a record without a bands/labels approval?

I'm not totally shooting down the idea, just being practical. That being said, I've only heard of 2 those bands and have only heard one of them...