Official World Cup 2010 thread

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US should win against Algeria. That would give them 5 points. If England wins its next two they have 7 points and Slovenia has 4. And Algeria has 0 and the US moves to the next round. So, I think its setup well for the US to advance if they beat Algeria. I think guaranteed they move on if they do.

wow, ref had a terrible game! shit happens, though.

Very true, but that wasn't a "shit happens" call. There is no way to defend that call at all. FIFA should be embarrassed that they let him ref a match.

I'm not trying to defend it, just saying shit happens in football/sports and there's nothing you can do. Shit decisions get made all the time, Mexico's striker dived into Albiol for their penalty yesterday, Ronaldo gets plenty of free kicks from cheating, and it's all down to bad refereeing but IT HAPPENS!

For real. It would have been one thing if that was the one bad call against the US, but the dude had a shit-ton of bad calls. It was pretty obvious he wasn't being entirely fair.

Very true, but that wasn't a "shit happens" call. There is no way to defend that call at all. FIFA should be embarrassed that they let him ref a match.

I'm not trying to defend it, just saying shit happens in football/sports and there's nothing you can do. Shit decisions get made all the time, Mexico's striker dived into Albiol for their penalty yesterday, Ronaldo gets plenty of free kicks from cheating, and it's all down to bad refereeing but IT HAPPENS!

I know you aren't trying to defend the call, I understand that. But, to me, the Denmark own goal that went of two of their players before going into the goal was a shit happens moment. Robert Green not handling that Depmsey shot was a shit happens situation. That call, and there wasn't an explanation for why there was a whistle, was beyond shit happens.

how so? if US beats Algeria we have 5pts. england beats slovenia, slovenia has 4 pts england has 5... we tie at 5pts for 1st and 2nd in the division.

if england and slovenia tie, england has 3 pts, slovenia 5 and the us 5... again both 5pts to advance.

if slovenia wins, slovenia has 7pts, england 2. Slovenia takes the group with 7 and US gets 2nd with 5.

is there something im missing?

fuck yes. we beat Algeria, we advance.

not necessarily

The scenarios are as follows (GD = goal differential):

England v. Slovenia:

- England wins: England has 5 pts and a positive GD, Slovenia has 4 points and either an even GD or a negative GD.

- Slovenia wins: Slovenia has 7 pts, a positive GD, England has 2 pts, GD inconsequential.

- England and Slovenia tie: England has 3 pts, even GD, Slovenia has 5 pts, positive GD.

USA v. Algeria:

- US wins: US has 5 pts, a positive GD, Algeria has 1 pts, GD inconsequential.

- Algeria wins: Algeria has 4 pts, a positive GD, US has 2 pts, negative GD

- Tie: US has 3 pts, even GD, Algeria has 2 pts, negative GD.

If the US wins, no matter what happens in the England game they will advance. With the win they either pass Slovenia or England. With a win by enough goals and a tie in the England-Slovenia game the US could win the group.

just for clarification since im fairly new to soccer...

if EvS ends in a draw, US [assuming they win] and Slovenia have 5pts and England has 3, no? itsn't it a non-issue

i suppose it becomes an issue if both games end in a draw. Slovenia will have 5 pts and both US and England will have 3.

just for clarification since im fairly new to soccer...

if EvS ends in a draw, US [assuming they win] and Slovenia have 5pts and England has 3, no? itsn't it a non-issue

i suppose it becomes an issue if both games end in a draw. Slovenia will have 5 pts and both US and England will have 3.

If USA win and England draw or lose, USA go through.

If england and USA both win then it goes down to goal difference (goal scored minus goals conceded), if they both draw then it goes down to goals scored, highest goes through.

but do you even have to consider GD when there are no ties on points?

Nope, but there could be if England and Slovenia tie so I put it in there. Just being anally thorough. :)

Its pretty clear though, US wins it moves on. US loses and they go home.

No, US win and England win, goal difference, a US win doesn't mean automatic qualification.