Official World Cup 2010 thread

Are you referring to the hand ball in the last round?

Yup. What else would I refer to?

I don't understand how people say its cheating. It calls for a penalty, and he decided the penalty was worth it. If anything its the rules. Its like how its worth it to do pass interference on someone when they're about to beat you for a touchdown.

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how people say its cheating. It calls for a penalty, and he decided the penalty was worth it. If anything its the rules. Its like how its worth it to do pass interference on someone when they're about to beat you for a touchdown.

I agree there's two sides to it. On one hand, it's a professional foul i.e cheating but on the other, it's the last 30 seconds of a game in the world cup, you'll go out if the ball goes in the net but if it doesn't there's a glimmer of hope that you might stay in. Pretty sure 9/10 players at that level, in a game of such importance would do the same. But, still cheating i guess.

Diving isn't really considered cheating. If so, you could say the Dutch cheated to get where they are.

Haha what? Diving is absolutely cheating. I bring up Ronaldo because he's the worst culprit at any level, club or international by a distance. Some of the stuff he pulled against the ivory coast was oscar worthy, a few times he overran the ball and on realising it, went down as soon as an opposing player came near him so he could seek to regain the advantage he just lost. The yellow card the opposing player got against him was given for a challenge that was made as Ronaldo was already on his way down anticipating the challenge!! I'm not saying other teams aren't guilty, they have been, but Portugal are terrible for it!

Absolutely agree. Seemed like a pretty smart play to me.