Official World Cup 2010 thread

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spain deserve it, amazing football. Dutch were a disgrace in the first half, should have been playing with nine men in the second.

I'm interested in what you think should have led to a second red. I agree they were playing over aggressively, but even the tackle the red was pulled for was a dive. Spain saw their intensity early and took advantage. I thought the Dutch outplayed them for at least half of the game, but constantly had their momentum crushed by stoppage in the first half. Oh, Robben also ruined their chances of winning. Spain played well, but all of the hype over their team this year just left me unimpressed by their entire cup performance. At least they won with an excellent goal.

Spain deserve it, amazing football. Dutch were a disgrace in the first half, should have been playing with nine men in the second.

I'm interested in what you think should have led to a second red. I agree they were playing over aggressively, but even the tackle the red was pulled for was a dive. Spain saw their intensity early and took advantage. I thought the Dutch outplayed them for at least half of the game, but constantly had their momentum crushed by stoppage in the first half. Oh, Robben also ruined their chances of winning. Spain played well, but all of the hype over their team this year just left me unimpressed by their entire cup performance. At least they won with an excellent goal.

Firstly i thought the second yellow that led to Heitinga's red was soft, but under the circumstances, the position on the pitch and the direction Iniesta was traveling in it had to be a yellow really. I thought Van Bommel should have had a straight red card for his challenge from behind on Iniesta in the first half, had it not been the first half of a World Cup final and the official's understandable reluctance to handicap a team after such a short amount of time, he would have been off. Got none of the ball, came in from behind, in most leagues (and probably earlier in the competition) he would have been sent walking for that alone. Also De Jong should have had a straight red for kicking Xabi Alonson in the chest, high foot is a foul as it is but he was so, so late AND his studs were up, i'm sure he was going for the ball but fucking hell, that was a really reckless challenge to even commit to when you're probably going to be second to the ball and it's head height.

I don't think the Dutch dominated at any point, they had a few spells of pressure and Robben should have put them ahead but apart from that Spain pretty much stopped them from even touching the ball and had a number of chances themselves. They play in a way that wears teams down gradually rather than going for jugular like Germany for instance so i can understand why they may seem less impressive given their hype.