Official World Cup 2010 thread

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucking weak. England should have won, these ties are ridiculous.

i'm not saying i don't like soccer, because i do. i really get into the world cup, and i pay attention to the european championships, too. BUT...

all the ties are (in my opinion) the reason why soccer will never be big in america. this is supposed to be the biggest and best tournament of any kind in the entire world, so the average fan in america will turn it on out of curiosity. 90 minutes later, the game ends in a tie? come on. it would be one thing if it was a 4-4 tie and there was at least a lot of excitement in the game with a lot of scoring chances. but to watch a game for 90 minutes and see ZERO goals, most people just don't have the patience for that.

every 4 years we hear the same thing: "this world cup is going to get everybody in america excited about soccer, and it will become a big sport in america!" and every 4 years, two weeks after the world cup is over, everybody has already forgotten about soccer. a lot of that might have to do with the fact that the US has never really been a major contender, but the same thing happens with the olympics, too. two weeks after it's over, nobody cares anymore. it's sad.

Oh, I agree 100%. A lot of my friends hate football because of ties. They think that there is no excitement unless someone scores. Totally false. I sat here the past 90 minutes (plus stoppage) yelling at my TV and girlfriend.

Its just disappointing/frustrating to see England play an overwhelmingly better game than the USA and still come up with only one point. Then again, I have no stake in this group, so I could care less.

I consider myself an average American sports fan.

I don't follow soccer at all, but I did tune if for the match today because I try to watch all big/hyped sporting events.

All today's match did was remind me of all the things I hate about soccer. Ties, low scoring games, the fans with their horns, rules I don't understand, etc... I don't think I'll be watching any more unless USA makes the final. I generally don't find the sport exciting to begin with, but those horns make it almost unbearable to watch.

Oh, I agree 100%. A lot of my friends hate football because of ties. They think that there is no excitement unless someone scores. Totally false. I sat here the past 90 minutes (plus stoppage) yelling at my TV and girlfriend.

Its just disappointing/frustrating to see England play an overwhelmingly better game than the USA and still come up with only one point. Then again, I have no stake in this group, so I could care less.

i thought england looked like shit.

rooney, the messiah of english football, had one shot and didn't get into the game at all.

i would be really surprised if rob green plays next game, joe hart deserves a go at it IMHO

I'm Latino so Futbol and Beisbol are ingraned in me...I follow soccer religiously...albeit a bit quiet. So I am pretty stoked this World Cup. Just like any other. I have accepted that homeland will never ever make it to a WC so I used to cling on to Brazil fanaticism. But then I moved and started living in the U.S...and in due time...legally...I became a citizen. I have always had a deep respect for the U.S. National Team.

So this WC I am rooting for the USA. Tonight was a great game...I will admit that England outplayed the USA big time. I told my parents (esp. my mom who is a huge soccer fan) that then game would end at 1-1 draw or 2-1 England.

USA's goal was...kinda fuckin' lucky...it was a kick-ass attempt but it trickled in after the Green's slip. But hey...a goal is a goal is a goal.

I am eagerly awaiting what is to come next from the USA.

Tonight I went to a local bar that was hosting the game. There was a huge turnout of fans from both sides. Beers were flowing and friendly ribbing was plenty. Great times were had.

i thought england looked like shit.

rooney, the messiah of english football, had one shot and didn't get into the game at all.

i would be really surprised if rob green plays next game, joe hart deserves a go at it IMHO

I didn't say England played well, I said they played the better game.

lol the game was at 10:30 am here. A bunch of people drinking before noon. Yes!

That's fuckin' nothing. For the '98 WC my buddy and I were at an English pub at 7am to watch the matches and getting hammered. Ales and English breakfast...nothing fuckin' beats it!!!

nice! sounds like good times. I'm going to end up missing some of the matches that I want to see because they are at 7:30 am est. haha

Didn't MLS used to have some sort of bullshit rules that made draws impossible? Like penalties after 90 mins and points for teams who get beaten on penalties etc?

I don't mean to offend those of you who are put off by the possibility of a draw as a result after 90 mins but it's part and parcel of football, ties aren't necessarily boring, i saw a 4-4 draw last season in england (liverpool-arsenal). I hate that they had to eliminate ties altogether to attract new american viewers who feel the need to get some sort of payoff for the 90 mins they just spent sitting watching tv.

Oh and the game was shit, the US were pretty good but had some bad defensive problems, it's standard for England to start shaky so hopefully they'll pull it together for the next two games. Rooney looks dangerous as fuck and could put England through top on goal difference in the group. Hope David James starts next match.

i would be really surprised if rob green started, but i thought rooney was basically invisible this game. didn't get involved at all hardly.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he was invisible, if you watch the England goal again look at the run he made away from your box and how much space it created for Gerrard to run in to once the defender had followed Rooney out. He's really fucking good at stuff like that. He put Wright-Phillips through, put Heskey through and won a lot of free kicks.

Also, the number of times Rooney got hauled down and fouled when he got the ball and ran from midfield was ridiculous.