Pirates Press to Resurrect the Flex-Disc,Thoughts?

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

[image]

From Pirates Press most recent newsletter:

After years of development, scrapped ideas, and disappointment… the time has finally arrived!!

PIRATES PRESS HAS BEGUN TO MAKE FLEXIDISCS!

While we are not yet taking orders from the public, we will be soon!! Stay subscribed to this newsletter for important ordering and product information over the next few weeks!

I'm curious to see your thoughts. Labels, will you be ordering flexi-discs? Vinyl Collectors, will you be buying them? I have a few in my collection, most notably one from Lookout Records that came bundled in an early issue of Punk Planet. I think I might also have the Nobodys/Falling Sickness split as a Flexi-disc. What Flexi-discs do you have in your collection?

I think that if a Flexi-disc is affordable enough, man, it would be great to see them in future issues of Razorcake. Hey Todd, let's make the first flexi-disc for Razorcake a 4 way split between Tiltwheel, TimVersion, Cheap Girls, and Two Cow Garage!!!

I agree, a record thin enough to bend with a magazine? I can't imagine these things sounding any better than complete crap. Its a novelty at best. I wouldn't waste a dime. Plus I've heard bad things about Pirate Press in general, farming out their pressing overseas, the wal-mart of pressing plants.

I would buy them if it was a band i collected but probably wouldn't listen to it. I'd definitely buy one just for the novelty factor to, and at least to try out sound quality etc. I think they are definitely more suited to free give aways with magazines and the like.

Yeah I can't imagine the price being much less than a 7 inch so it seems more like a novelty.

call me crazy, but i have never heard of these before, and when i googled 'flex-disc' all that came up was stuff about a car part. so can someone please explain what they are? i'm assuming that they're like a 7" but....flexible plastic?

Pretty much....it is just a plastic, film-like "sheet" that has grooves cut in it. Like most have said, it is a novelty at best.

Would not pay money for these. They're the equivalent of a free 128 kbps mp3 download.

@Allison:

Flexis were basically a 7" printed on a sheet of pvc. You often had to punch the disc out of the sheet. They commonly came tucked in to music 'zines through the 80s and early 90s. Here's a scan of an old Smashing Pumpkins flexi.

[image]

Guest Admin

I agree with the majority that the sound sucks, but would it not be cool if each issue of razorcake or let's say a hard copy vinyl zine came with one that featured 4 different bands each issue. Would that not be cool?