this is me giving up

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think we moved past the band comparisons. but either way, like i said in an earlier thread about norma jean, calling them or the bled or breather resist shitty botch is not saying they're bad bands. they all have their merits and at one point i've listened to all of them. but in my opinion they're all derivative of botch, and none are as good as botch was. i don't like anything throwdown has done except for the new record, which i could easily call shitty pantera and it wouldn't mean i enjoy it any less.

Hickey...whereabouts in Boston are you?...I travel to Beantown at least once a year...have been doing it for the past 10 years or so. My best friend lives in Cambridge just down the street from The Middle East...I love that town. I was just up there for the Police concert at Fenway.

And going back to the thread...For some odd reason, straight-up hardcore and shows are breeding grounds for thugs. It's like it has become heavy music's version of gangsta rap... ::)

I'm just outside in Newton. I head to the Middle East frequently. One of my good friends lived right down the street as well, but he has since moved to New Mexico.

i think we moved past the band comparisons. but either way, like i said in an earlier thread about norma jean, calling them or the bled or breather resist shitty botch is not saying they're bad bands. they all have their merits and at one point i've listened to all of them. but in my opinion they're all derivative of botch, and none are as good as botch was. i don't like anything throwdown has done except for the new record, which i could easily call shitty pantera and it wouldn't mean i enjoy it any less.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Breather Resist were derivative of Botch, but definitely influenced by them. They had their own thing going on by the time Charmer came out, and it carried through to Young Widows (with different vocals, obvz). Norma Jean, on the other hand... Bless The Martyr, Kiss The Child could definitely be considered "Botch Lite".

I like Throwdown for one reason: on their last album, in the liner notes, under the bands endorsements (guitar strings, drums, etc.) it says "Pannera Bread Co. and their vulgar array of flour."

Now that is the funniest thing I'd read in a long time.

funny thing, whenever we go to pannera I always call it "pantera bread"

Botch had two things that no other band had:

Dave Knudsen & Brian Cook

These two dudes were the reason they were the band that they were. The vocals were good, but not innovative or groundbreaking in anyway, and the same could be said of the drumming. Tim Latona was definitely super solid, but there are tons of drummers out there who could play the same stuff. It was all about the creative guitar/bass interplay.

People hear music different ways and pick up on different parts for comparison purposes, a breakdown, a bassline, whatever...If you listen to Queens Of The Stone Age, pretty much every song has a killer bass line somewhere in it that sounds just like motorhead. Do I think QOTSA sound like Motorhead, no, but there are some parts of their songs that certainly do. So, it's possible that someone who really picks up on bass could say that Motorhead and QOTSA sound the same.

That makes no fuckin' sense.