this is me giving up

it's true there are similarities, but all 3 of those bands were contemporaries, and while together, rorschach and deadguy were bigger than botch was. but they all got their start right around the same time... it just happened that botch didn't get "big" until they were ready to break up, and it took them longer to start releasing full lengths.

man, deadguy was so good.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, read what I actually said about Snapcase and Botch. Botch is the kind of band Snapcase WANTED to be. I never said they sound like one another. Snapcase is way more down-tempo and, frankly, boring. But they have that almost electronic guitar feel that Botch did so well. I always felt Snapcase was going for a futuristic hardcore sound, which is what Botch achieved.

Dude, read what I actually said about Snapcase and Botch. Botch is the kind of band Snapcase WANTED to be. I never said they sound like one another. Snapcase is way more down-tempo and, frankly, boring. But they have that almost electronic guitar feel that Botch did so well. I always felt Snapcase was going for a futuristic hardcore sound, which is what Botch achieved.

i read what you said, and i fully understood it. however, to say botch is the type of band snapcase always wanted to be implies there is stylistic similarities between the two. which i don't really hear.

when i first bought the botch cd/dvd and popped the cd into my car stereo i was so disappointed. its sloppy as all hell. but then i got home and watched the dvd and was blown the fuck away. it was their last show ever. theyre allowed to go fucking nuts and fuck up a few parts here and there. and the commentary is hilarious.

Now that you've explained in more detail, I'll definitely agree with this. The whole "futuristic" sound came mostly from Dave's guitar tone, tapping and angular riffs.

when i first bought the botch cd/dvd and popped the cd into my car stereo i was so disappointed. its sloppy as all hell. but then i got home and watched the dvd and was blown the fuck away. it was their last show ever. theyre allowed to go fucking nuts and fuck up a few parts here and there. and the commentary is hilarious.

Yeah, the drink-every-time-you-fuck-up rule is classic. And then drinking for "shitty rock moves" is icing.

Yeah, the drink-every-time-you-fuck-up rule is classic. And then drinking for "shitty rock moves" is icing.

i love when one of them says they were ripping off norma jean on a particular riff. i think i may have literally slapped my knee on that one.

is it ever possible to find a band that doesnt' sound in some time like some other band? i mean if you dig hard enough i'm sure you'd find most bands' influences. rare is it you get a band that's completely unique and i would dare to say that just means they hide their influences well and/or combine enough so you don't notice.

what gets me is when bands straight-out cover other bands. you get that a lot when big mainstream movements come from more underground ones. hell, you probably get it when you get big mainstream movements period. the arena rock of the 70s is a good example. i can't tell kansas from styx from all the other fucking crap. you got the same in the 80s with the mass amount of bad pop metal bands. in the 90s it was watering down and copying the grunge sound out of seattle. now its all these bands trying to sound like copies of copies of copies of "hardcore" bands, which has been labeled emo by the masses - something i'll never figure.

is it ever possible to find a band that doesnt' sound in some time like some other band? i mean if you dig hard enough i'm sure you'd find most bands' influences. rare is it you get a band that's completely unique and i would dare to say that just means they hide their influences well and/or combine enough so you don't notice.

what gets me is when bands straight-out cover other bands. you get that a lot when big mainstream movements come from more underground ones. hell, you probably get it when you get big mainstream movements period. the arena rock of the 70s is a good example. i can't tell kansas from styx from all the other fucking crap. you got the same in the 80s with the mass amount of bad pop metal bands. in the 90s it was watering down and copying the grunge sound out of seattle. now its all these bands trying to sound like copies of copies of copies of "hardcore" bands, which has been labeled emo by the masses - something i'll never figure.

It's a glorified marketing scheme perpetuated by the mainstream music business, i.e. major labels, MTV, etc. They take something new and fresh, and they homogenize it. Watch the documentary "Hype!" if you haven't seen it already. It's about the rise and fall of the Seattle "grunge" scene. You can basically apply that scenario to what's happening now with all the Hot Topic bands.