Batman Graphic Novels / comics

So, I never was into comic books growing up - I had like 10, and probably 7 of them were Simpsons comics.

I always loved the darker Batman movies though - the 1989 Batman and Batman Returns, then obviously the new start with Nolan. I popped in Dark Knight the other day and wound up reading online a lot about the trivia and such, and "The Killing Joke" came up often as one of the go-to resources for Ledger's Joker, so I bought it and "Arkham Asylum".

Read them both - can't say I loved AA, but The Killing Joke was pretty sweet. Where should I go from here?

More internet nerding has pointed me towards Miller's Year One and The Dark Knight Returns as well as Loeb's "The Long Halloween" and maybe "The Dark Victory".

I don't think I care enough to get roped into the whole series, and I definitely like the darker side of Batman (and the Joker).

So... does anyone here have suggestions?

the long halloween and dark victory for sure. haunted knight is also good as well if you want more loeb + sale.

war on crime--batman story drawn by alex ross = amazing.

definitely year one and dark knight returns (also the dark knight strikes again, but its not as good). also, all star batman & robin is a fun read if you're a frank miller fan, plus jim lee's art is awesome.

hush is a good arc

arkham asylum is a great darker story, really the only grant morrison i like (the RIP/recent stuff is shit imo)

black & white is hit or miss. some are really good, but some are pretty meh.

if you want more classics, the knightfall arc is good, a death in family (death of jason todd), a lonely place of dying, etc.

the long halloween and dark victory for sure. haunted knight is also good as well if you want more loeb + sale.

war on crime--batman story drawn by alex ross = amazing.

definitely year one and dark knight returns (also the dark knight strikes again, but its not as good). also, all star batman & robin is a fun read if you're a frank miller fan, plus jim lee's art is awesome.

hush is a good arc

arkham asylum is a great darker story, really the only grant morrison i like (the RIP/recent stuff is shit imo)

black & white is hit or miss. some are really good, but some are pretty meh.

if you want more classics, the knightfall arc is good, a death in family (death of jason todd), a lonely place of dying, etc.

yep.

the Sword of Azreal TPB is good too, drawn beautifully by Quesada with Kevin Nowlan inking...which greatly enhanced the early/mid Quesada era of drawing...before he got super/hyper detailed.