AP Class of 2000

tim

I just finished reading the Class of 2000 feature in Alternative Press, and going back to listen to some of the stuff I was too punx to listen to ten years ago.

Curious if anyone had any other albums you would substitute? I'm in need of "new" music from this era. Here's the class of 2010 list:

AFI: The Art of Drowing

At The Drive-In: Relationship of Command

Boy Sets Fire: After the Eulogy

Bright Eyes: Fevers and Mirrors

Cave In: Jupiter

Cursive: Domestica

Dashboard Confessional: The Swiss Army Romance

Deftones: White Pony

Elliott: False Cathedrals

Glassjaw: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Silence

The most surprising thing about this list may be the fact that arranged alphabetically, there's nothing beyond the letter G.

How about:

Botch - We are the Romans(!!!)

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

Appleseed Cast - Mare Vitalis

The Jazz June - This Medicine

The Weakerthans - Left and Leaving

Death Cab - We Have the Facts

Blood Brothers - This Adultery

We did Botch a few years back when we profiled 10 classic records between 1990-2000 (we also did Op Ivy's "Energy," Refused's "Shape Of Punk To Come," etc. in the same special), so we didn't want to double up.

The obvious one we didn't include was Radiohead's Kid A -- I mean, you try getting an interview with Thom Yorke these days!

Wasn't there a blurb in there about how Radiohead has been written about endlessly so there's no need to induct them? Either way, so many other magazines can write about the impact of Radiohead on music. What I like about the AP Class of 2000 is that it goes deeper. And even though I'm not particularly into a bunch of the bands that were featured (AFI, Bright Eyes, Dashboard Confessional) I don't really disagree with any of the picks.

But I do kinda agree with dynamitekid - take off Deftones and put on D4. That's only because "Versus God" epitomizes the kind of music I was into most back then.

I need to dig up Class of 1999 and 1998 features (if they exist?) - I think I have back issues around somewhere.

Haha, yeah, I wrote that blurb. :)

And yeah, this is my special, so thanks for the kind words—I treat it as my baby every year. The following issues have it:

AP 218 - Class Of '96 (Weezer, Texas Is The Reason, Suicide Machines, Face To Face, Strung Out, etc.)

AP 230 - Class Of '97 (Get Up Kids, Blink-182, Foo Fighters, Deftones, Modest Mouse, etc.)

AP 242 - Class Of '98 (Alkaline Trio, Braid, Kid Dynamite, Jets To Brazil, Hum, etc.)

AP 254 - Class Of '99 (New Found Glory, Jimmy Eat World, Hot Water Music, Saves The Day, Poison The Well, etc.)

And the original special that kind of spawned the idea was in AP 205, and it featured Refused, NOFX, Operation Ivy, Botch, Jawbreaker, etc.

How about:

Botch - We are the Romans(!!!)

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

Appleseed Cast - Mare Vitalis

The Jazz June - This Medicine

The Weakerthans - Left and Leaving

Death Cab - We Have the Facts

Blood Brothers - This Adultery

Sorry dude, none of these records are what I would call legendary, aside from the Weakerthans album. That was pretty good. I mean, who are your going to bump off for the fucking Appleseed Cast?

Oakland:

You honestly don't think that We Are the Romans or Moon and Antarctica are legendary albums? That Botch album, for better or for worse, as I see it, defined the way metalcore would sound for the next decade. As for Mare Vitalis, I would replace the Elliott album with it. While popularity is by no means a way of deciding which album is better, I definitely know more people who have heard of Appleseed Cast and Mare Vitalis than Elliott, and to me it seems like Mare Vitalis is more relevant today to alternative music than False Cathedrals. Other albums I would take off would be AFI, boysetsfire, Deftones because I've honestly never listened to them, and the Glassjaw and Dashboard albums because the follow ups are better. Obviously it's all mostly subjective, but I was mainly just naming other albums from that year that I really enjoyed for the OP, as per the request. And while I agree that some of the albums I listed are not legendary, I think that they are all important, certainly moreso than the AFI album.

And Scott, that makes sense. Although, I do like the Weakerthans and and Blood Brothers albums more than any of their other stuff.

I think that my favourite albums that came out that year were by Yo La Tengo, Shellac and J Mascis, none of those really fit in with that list though.

I don't really get why that Elliott album is in there , I like it but it's not really in the same league as the others in terms of people still enjoying it today.

Surprised Left and Leaving isn't on there, it's my least favourite Weakerthans album but I think it's most peoples favourite one.

if you guys dont think "art of drowning" should be on this list you are out of your minds, haha. afi USED to be fricken awessome and led the pack for the punk/hardcore scene. it may not be what you were into, but for every person who wasnt into it there are probably twenty people who were. my only complaint is no "moon and antartica".

Oakland:

You honestly don't think that We Are the Romans or Moon and Antarctica are legendary albums? That Botch album, for better or for worse, as I see it, defined the way metalcore would sound for the next decade. As for Mare Vitalis, I would replace the Elliott album with it. While popularity is by no means a way of deciding which album is better, I definitely know more people who have heard of Appleseed Cast and Mare Vitalis than Elliott, and to me it seems like Mare Vitalis is more relevant today to alternative music than False Cathedrals. Other albums I would take off would be AFI, boysetsfire, Deftones because I've honestly never listened to them, and the Glassjaw and Dashboard albums because the follow ups are better. Obviously it's all mostly subjective, but I was mainly just naming other albums from that year that I really enjoyed for the OP, as per the request. And while I agree that some of the albums I listed are not legendary, I think that they are all important, certainly moreso than the AFI album.

And Scott, that makes sense. Although, I do like the Weakerthans and and Blood Brothers albums more than any of their other stuff.

I thought American Nervoso was far more influential, but again that's subjective. Also, you may not have heard the BSF, AFI and Deftones albums, but surely you have gathered that they are all pretty good records, right? I mean, I haven't heard the new Arcade Fire album but I am aware that a bazillion people like it.

And I think saying the Appleseed Cast ever did anything more important than any Elliot album is misguided. I'm trying not to sound like a dick since it's just music. So don't take it that way. I just can't see anyone making a reasonable choice of AC over Elliot. They were brilliant. And I like AC.

Seriously though, you really need to get that BSF record and probably the Deftones one too.

Oakland:

I thought American Nervoso was far more influential, but again that's subjective. Also, you may not have heard the BSF, AFI and Deftones albums, but surely you have gathered that they are all pretty good records, right? I mean, I haven't heard the new Arcade Fire album but I am aware that a bazillion people like it.

And I think saying the Appleseed Cast ever did anything more important than any Elliot album is misguided. I'm trying not to sound like a dick since it's just music. So don't take it that way. I just can't see anyone making a reasonable choice of AC over Elliot. They were brilliant. And I like AC.

Seriously though, you really need to get that BSF record and probably the Deftones one too.

I haven't read this article, but BSF's After the Eulogy is an undeniable classic, that record was so good that when it came out people knew it was a landmark album.

I think American Nervoso laid the groundwork for We Are the Romans which is what raised the bar...but Romans to me is the legendary record.

that Glassjaw album is a mediocre, quasi-nu metal album, I bought that only because Sammy Seigler played drums on it and was curious but it's not that good. I could never get into it.

the Art of Drowning all runs together, it's a good record but it's too long and a lot of the songs sound too similar.