ING or HSBC

Just went to HSBC last week to open a savings account. The lady I sat down with strongly suggest I open an Online Savings Account. The interest was .1 compared to .01 for a regular non-online savings account.

First deposit goes in from this weeks check.

That being said, I have my business and checking accounts with HSBC and haven't ever had problems.

I love ING. I've had it for years. Their system is super-user friendly, their interest rate is always higher than any brick-and-mortar bank, and if you do a checking account there, they'll actually physically write checks and mail them on your behalf when you need to pay your bills (for those few places that still aren't set up for e-commerce).

for the two that hated HSBC.. can you give some examples why?

the interest rate looks higher, but I'd also like to put those things into consideration.

I think my biggest problem was the fact that I came from M&T Bank, which is centered in Buffalo and still very local. My banker literally calls me up every so often just to see what I'm up to these days and how my financial planning is going / is there anything I like or don't like about them / questions about what they might offer. HSBC is so big that they don't give a fuck what you want, think, or don't like.

Then my HSBC account got hacked by someone in California... TWICE in the 8 months I had an account there. I also can't fucking stand their online banking.. for some reason it's just inconvenient, especially their super-safe-ultra-protecting second password that you can't just type in with a keyboard, because that kept my account so safe. Then when I called up to notify them my account was missing money, they made me jump through all these hoops like I was trying to scam them, and I had spent that money in Southern California, where I've never been before.

In short, I caught some terrible luck with them and they just don't give a fuck because they have millions of customers. Local bank any day.