any anime nerds?

So guys... Evangelion...

Just finished the series and original movie a second time and am currently watching the rebuild.

I'm too lazy to read back on this thread, so, thoughts? Theories? I'm totally enamored with the characters, the story, and the all the intricacies that Anno threw into the show to drive everybody crazy. If you head to EvaGeeks.org, you will get lost for days following the rabbit hole of endless theories and facts about the show.

So guys... Evangelion...

Just finished the series and original movie a second time and am currently watching the rebuild.

I'm too lazy to read back on this thread, so, thoughts? Theories? I'm totally enamored with the characters, the story, and the all the intricacies that Anno threw into the show to drive everybody crazy. If you head to EvaGeeks.org, you will get lost for days following the rabbit hole of endless theories and facts about the show.

I don't have any theories, but I love evangelion. I've now watched the series, death and rebirth, end of evangelion, and the first two rebuild moves and enjoy each bit equally. The rebuilds really are top notch can and I appreciate the earlier introduction of characters and differences from the original. I should rewatch everything soon.

Yeah, it's all a lot to take in. I'll probably have a better formed opinion on the rebuild as soon as I finish these two up again, but my initial thoughts are that they can't really fit all of the little stuff in such a short amount of time, so they kind of lose a lot of what makes Eva special in the movies, though the action and animation is so awesome. I still think that the Evas are the coolest looking "mecha" type characters I've seen in any anime.

Yeah, it's all a lot to take in. I'll probably have a better formed opinion on the rebuild as soon as I finish these two up again, but my initial thoughts are that they can't really fit all of the little stuff in such a short amount of time, so they kind of lose a lot of what makes Eva special in the movies, though the action and animation is so awesome. I still think that the Evas are the coolest looking "mecha" type characters I've seen in any anime.

Absolutely.

I think they did a pretty good job fitting most stuff in, 4 movies at ~90-100 minutes each = 20 episodes. I do wish they'd just gone 2 hours for each movie and fit in "24 episodes" worth of stuff, but I like that they edited themselves. That said, I still haven't seen the third one. I hear it's pretty awesome though and really strays from the original stuff, so I'm excited.

It really has been years since I've watched anything Eva related though, and it was a good bit of time between my viewing of the original materials and the rebuilds, so maybe I'm being too generous.

The rebuilds are good so far, but it's odd they added in a character. It throws the balance off imo. RahXephon is very similar to Eva, a lot of people think it's a rip off, but I enjoyed it a lot. Check it out next.

i'm totally an anime nerd.  so nerdy that i've started an excel spreadsheet to track all my viewings.  in my old age i'm starting to forget things, so it felt necessary.  plus i can remind myself what shows i don't like (ex: one piece), shows i may want to watch again but pay closer attention to (ex: casshern sins), and what season/episode i left off on for long running shows (ex: bleach, inuyasha).  makes me feel organized about my anime.  not much different than my husband cataloging our vinyl i think.

anyway, i haven't seen anyone mention fruits basket.  i def recommend it.

here's my short list of shows i've liked and recommend (some have been mentioned, just putting my vote in for them too) favorites are starred:

*angel beats!

attack on titan

*black butler

bleach (ulquiorra is fmy fav anime character so far out of anything i've ever watched)

blue exorcist

*casshern sins

claymore

cowboy bebop

*deadman wonderland

deathnote

eureka seven

fairytail

*fruits basket

*fma: brotherhood

highschool of the dead

*inuyasha

kaze no stigma (if you can get past the weird cousins in love thing.  that tends to happen in anime and i never quite understand it haha)

naruto (shonen jump and shippuden)

*noragami

rosario+vampire (lots of upskirt shots, but good nonetheless)

samurai 7

*soul eater (just started watching soul eater not.  although it's set it in the academy...so far it is exactly that.  not soul eater. but i haven't given up on it yet)

sword art online

the big o

i saw someone say angel beats! wasn't as sad as they had heard.  maybe it depends on the person.  man, that show had me all fricked up for like three weeks after i watched it.  kind of like whenever i listen to failure-fantastic planet.  makes me feel all emo in my soul.  casshern sins made me feel kind of like that too.

i love anything miyazaki and also enjoy akira.  haven't watched any on neon evangelion yet.

i rejoiced when i found the anime category on hulu so my queueueueue is full of it.  better list than netflix.  so much to watch.

I watched like 6 soul eater episodes and haven't been able to keep watching.

I'm in the middle of K - and I looooooooove the music and the setting and style of the show.  Absolutely love that.  The plot is okay, but everything else makes up for it.

Also watched Psycho Pass and Death Note recently.

i'm totally an anime nerd.  so nerdy that i've started an excel spreadsheet to track all my viewings.  in my old age i'm starting to forget things, so it felt necessary.  plus i can remind myself what shows i don't like (ex: one piece), shows i may want to watch again but pay closer attention to (ex: casshern sins), and what season/episode i left off on for long running shows (ex: bleach, inuyasha).  makes me feel organized about my anime.  not much different than my husband cataloging our vinyl i think.

I just use MyAnimeList http://myanimelist.net/animelist/slickwataris

I watched like 6 soul eater episodes and haven't been able to keep watching.

Also watched Psycho Pass and Death Note recently.

Watched most of the first season and couldn't get super into it. Someday I'll probably watch it when I'm bored, but...meh.

Death Note... I've seen some people who got suuuuuper into that show and I just don't get it. It's ok. I don't hate it, but I don't think I'd watch it again, and I watched a good bit of it.

fruits basket was entertaining, I watched it with my wife. pretty girly, but funny nonetheless.

death note peaks too early. the second half wasn't nearly as good as the first and it gets too talky at times. I found the show a lot easier to get through than the manga. i'm talking walls of exposition text.

fruits basket was entertaining, I watched it with my wife. pretty girly, but funny nonetheless.

death note peaks too early. the second half wasn't nearly as good as the first and it gets too talky at times. I found the show a lot easier to get through than the manga. i'm talking walls of exposition text.

Yeeeeeah. Yeah, I'd imagine in manga format is be done with Death Note very quickly. Woof.

I liked Fruit Basket, but I also enjoy shoujo a bit. I'm a dude.

Probably for the best.  I know she's impossibly beautiful, but I can't really stand to look at her for longer than 20 seconds at a time.  There's got to be someone better, but no one immediately comes to mind as being able to pull it off. ScarJo definitely seems like a poor casting choice.  I guess she's got an okay voice for it, maybe. *shrugs*

I need a new show to start, but it's hard to find something I have not seen when looking through lists. If I do find something I have not seen, it does not seem that interesting to me. :(

I need a new show to start, but it's hard to find something I have not seen when looking through lists. If I do find something I have not seen, it does not seem that interesting to me. :(

Hmmm... Do you have the Crunchyroll app?  I use the free version on PS4.  Lots of stuff on there, not all of it great but some good ones if you dig.

Have you seen Knights of Sidonia?  It's not on Crunchyroll, but it's on netflix, season 1 anyway and the second season you can watch online, but they are still rolling out new episodes so they won't always have subs right away.