Post your Gamertag!

Guest falloutcollapse

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest scriptedrain

ScriptedRain

I'm horrible at Halo 3, too, but I just started playing it online last week. Games we own (have played online in bold):

Burnout: Revenge

Fuzion Frenzy 2

Guitar Hero II

Halo 3

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

Madden 08

NBA 2K8

Need for Speed Carbon

NHL 2K8

NHL 08

Tetris Evolution

I dont have any of these, but i have to ask, should I get a 360 or a PS3? Im looking to get one or the other, I just dont know which one.

I've owned both and enjoyed the hell out of both machines, so I'd like to think I'm not a Microsoft or Sony fanboy. You really can't go wrong with either, as both will be loads of fun. That said, the PS3 is most definitely the stronger machine. It has built in Wi-fi, so no need for an ethernet cable for online (this is a big help for me as I do not have an ethernet jack in my room). The online network is FREE, while Microsoft makes you pay $50 for a year subsription to XBox Live. Oh yeah, there's a web browser on the PS3 that allows you to do surf the web, 360 doesn't have that.

Beyond that, PS3 supports 1080P (360 cannot support this resolution) and has a Blu-Ray player built in.

All in all, the PS3 offers one hell of a package and I enjoy mine more. The big drawback for the PS3 is it is a year younger than the 360 and therefore has a smaller library of games. That is about to change, as there are a lot of good games on deck for the PS3 (including Metal Gear Solid). There are a lot of really good games for both systems (Call of Duty 4 is a must own, and Grand Theft Auto is coming soon, and theres Guitar Hero if thats your thing) so basically it boils down to what exclusive releases interest you the most. 360 has Halo and if thats your cup of tea then you definitely should go with that platform. 360 also has Bioshock and a couple other exclusives that I'm not remembering right now. PS3 has Ratchet and Clank, which in my honest opinion, is some of the most fun you can have playing a video game. Seriously, don't let the cute cartoony look fool you, its a blast. There's also MGS coming soon.

Hope that helps. As I said, both systems are a lot of fun but in the end I wound up keeping the PS3.

I dont have any of these, but i have to ask, should I get a 360 or a PS3? Im looking to get one or the other, I just dont know which one.

I've owned both and enjoyed the hell out of both machines, so I'd like to think I'm not a Microsoft or Sony fanboy. You really can't go wrong with either, as both will be loads of fun. That said, the PS3 is most definitely the stronger machine. It has built in Wi-fi, so no need for an ethernet cable for online. The online network is FREE, while Microsoft makes you pay $50 for a year subsription to XBox Live. Oh yeah, there's a web browser on the PS3 that allows you to do surf the web, 360 doesn't have that.

Beyond that, PS3 supports 1080P (360 cannot support this resolution) and has a Blu-Ray player built in.

All in all, the PS3 offers one hell of a package and I enjoy mine more. The big drawback for the PS3 is it is a year younger than the 360 and therefore has a smaller library of games. That is about to change, as there are a lot of good games on deck for the PS3 (including Metal Gear Solid). There are a lot of really good games for both systems (Call of Duty 4 is a must own, and Grand Theft Auto is coming soon, and theres Guitar Hero if thats your thing) so basically it boils down to what exclusive releases interest you the most. 360 has Halo and if thats your cup of tea then you definitely should go with that platform. 360 also has Bioshock and a couple other exclusives that I'm not remembering right now. PS3 has Ratchet and Clank, which in my honest opinion, is some of the most fun you can have playing a video game. Seriously, don't let the cute cartoony look fool you, its a blast. There's also MGS coming soon.

Hope that helps. As I said, both systems are a lot of fun but in the end I wound up keeping the PS3.

Wow, this is actually really helpful. I think I will buy a ps3.

PS

The 360 can do 1080p if you have an Elite, which has an HDMI output. I would recommend the 360, even though you have to pay for online play, I've heard its much more reliable and easier to use.

and Ronnie:

Definitely get Bioshock its insane. Call of Duty 4 is also loads of fun.

You're right, I forgot about the 360 Elite adding HDMI and 1080p support.

That being said, don't get fooled into thinking every game for each system is being released on 1080p. Most games are still 720p and get upscaled into 1080p. PS3 has more games that show 1080p as the true native resolution (due to the fact that they were 1080p from the start and the 360 didn't have 1080p capability until they released the Elite). 360 advertises more games as "supporting" 1080p, but this just means it upscales and is not the native resolution and is not the same thing. Eventually, more and more games will be native 1080p resolutions and I'm sure eventually nearly all games for each system will support 1080p but for right now most are not native 1080p.

Also, if you're a movie buff, Blu-Ray is stomping the shit out of HD-DVD (IIRC consumers are buying Blu-Ray 2:1). There are only one or two major studios still supporting the HD-DVD format, so unless Microsoft can pull a miracle out of their ass, HD-DVD is dead in the water. Since PS3 supports Blu-Ray you have a head start on the next gen movie format as well.

That being said, don't get fooled into thinking every game for each system is being released on 1080p. Most games are still 720p and get upscaled into 1080p. PS3 has more games that show 1080p as the true native resolution (due to the fact that they were 1080p from the start and the 360 didn't have 1080p capability until they released the Elite). 360 advertises more games as "supporting" 1080p, but this just means it upscales and is not the native resolution and is not the same thing. Eventually, more and more games will be native 1080p resolutions and I'm sure eventually nearly all games for each system will support 1080p but for right now most are not native 1080p.

Also, if you're a movie buff, Blu-Ray is stomping the shit out of HD-DVD (IIRC consumers are buying Blu-Ray 2:1). There are only one or two major studios still supporting the HD-DVD format, so unless Microsoft can pull a miracle out of their ass, HD-DVD is dead in the water. Since PS3 supports Blu-Ray you have a head start on the next gen movie format as well.

Rumor has it XBox will be releasing a Blu-Ray drive sometime in the next year or two.

And re: 720p/1080i/1080p, you don't really notice much of a difference unless you have a TV over 50" (if I recall), so don't let that be the defining factor.

Rumor has it XBox will be releasing a Blu-Ray drive sometime in the next year or two.

And re: 720p/1080i/1080p, you don't really notice much of a difference unless you have a TV over 50" (if I recall), so don't let that be the defining factor.

There's no rumor. What you're talking about is that Microsoft said they would release a blu-ray player if the market demanded it.

There's no rumor. What you're talking about is that Microsoft said they would release a blu-ray player if the market demanded it.

So in that case, if they did release it that just means that I would have to spend more money to upgrade it in the first place. Thought they both sound great I have always loved Sony's playstations, so I might be leaning towards that, they are just so expensive right now.

I've owned both and enjoyed the hell out of both machines, so I'd like to think I'm not a Microsoft or Sony fanboy. You really can't go wrong with either, as both will be loads of fun. That said, the PS3 is most definitely the stronger machine. It has built in Wi-fi, so no need for an ethernet cable for online (this is a big help for me as I do not have an ethernet jack in my room). The online network is FREE, while Microsoft makes you pay $50 for a year subsription to XBox Live. Oh yeah, there's a web browser on the PS3 that allows you to do surf the web, 360 doesn't have that.

Are either of them backwards compatable?