Dexter Season 5 Discussion w/ Spoilers

born2bleed

I liked the season overall and I don't think they could have topped the season 4 finale, so I didn't get my hopes to high for this season.

DISLIKES-I wish they would have had more of the Trinity Killer story like they had in the trailers for the new season. I thought Jonah would have ID'd Dexter as Kyle Butler and then it would get intense after that, but not so much, I thought Quinn would have found out that Dexter kills people and repeat the Doakes Cycle, I thought Quinn was going to kill Liddy, not Dexter, bummed they didn't go more in depth with the cult killings.

LIKES -I liked how they had Dexter express actual emotion. Rage w/the kill in the men's room, Sorrow at Rita's funeral, Compassion for Lumen and finally saying I Love You to somebody, Aster. We got a ballpark figure of victims (65, but it's more than that). Dexter and Deb share a similar look at killing, some people deserve to die.

They got picked up for season 6, which I think is going to be the final season, and I think they may tie it all up and go out with a huge bang. I won't mention what happens in the books.

It could also be the end of the show because Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter are getting divorced, but who knows.

I did learn that Dexter probably shouldn't drive ever. He fell asleep at the wheel (crash), he hit a car and ripped dude's mirror off making him get arrested and flips a stolen car after colliding with a bulldozer.

• 1 year later...

So Season 6...

*SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS*

Pretty lame because I figured out Gellar was dead somewhere around the third episode of the season. Then it took them until the fourth-from-the-last episode to make "the big reveal." Colin Hanks made a good villain and Mos Def was a fun character, but most of the writing was pretty poor. The rest of the stuff introduced this season was also fairly uninteresting: Chief of Miami Metro being an accessory to a hooker death, Masuka's assistant being a psycho Dexter fan, Quinn being a drunk douche, Deb being in love with Dex (wtf!?). The only good part was Deb walking in on Dexter killing Travis at the very end of the finale. I hope season 7 is much better than this. Thoughts?

Didn't watch the finale yet. Probably shouldn't have kept reading after thAt spoiler warning but I did anway. Oh well. Honestly, if that was the cliffhanger ending of this season I'm a little disappointed. I wanted Deb to discover Dexter's true nature at the end of season 5. It would have made more sense at that point. She was already sympathetic towards Lumen's character and Dexter would have been able to rationalize his actions to her in that he was helping a victim (not helping himself). I guess this way she's "in love" with him now and she finally understands what it is that Dexter has been keeping to himself all this time.

Now I just have to wait until I get off work later this afternoon to watch the darn thing! Bah!

The way Dexter stabbed C. Hanks was super lack luster.

Just a quick 'boop'.

It could have been much cooler, I agree. Dexter was holding that medieval sword for a second and I thought it would be fitting for him to kill Travis with it... but no. Let's just use the good 'ol standard knife. Booooring!

She looka lika man

Not even a man, she has the body of a 10 year old boy. Its so awkward. Plus with this whole storyline of her now being in love with her brother she creeps me out even more.

i agree, but i think they threw that in to help her cope with the whole "my brother is a serial killer" thing.

this show has been approved for 2 more seasons so shes not going to rat him out unless he spends the whole next 2 seasons on the lamb, which i doubt will happen.

in the books she has known he was a killer since the end of the first one, but shes ok with it because she understands his code.

this is more than likely whats going to happen.

Having Deb realize that she's "in love" with Dexter certainly seems like a plot device that would help her come to terms with discovering that Dexter has killed someone. I have a feeling that Dexter's only chance to successfully explain himself to Deb is going to involve him revealing that Harry taught him "the code". If he can pin some of the blame on dad and point out that he's trying to do good things with the evil that's inside of him that might work. Deb knows what Dexter went through as a child so she knows that he's totally F'd up in the head.

Then there was that part where Travis totally kidnapped and could have killed his son. That's kind of a big deal.

Also, did anyone get a kick out of that scene where Deb busts into Dexter's apartment because they found pieces of his boat washing ashore and she was worried that he might be dead? The fact that the two actors in that scene are professing their love for one another and in real life they've been married and then divorced... just wow. It says a lot of their acting skills but man... that HAD to super awkward.

I watched the finale today...I have to admit I was somewhat bored with it up until the very end when Deb walked in on Dexter. The rest of the episode was too slow and nothing shocking going on.

The whole Deb realizing she's in love with Dexter to me came across as a cheap ploy. Nothing but filler.